South Wonnangatta rd Victoria new phone tower

Came across a construction site last weekend at the southern end of Cynthia Range track above the Junction of the Wonnangatta river and Wongungararra rivers. This is a very hard place to get to and was quite a surprise , the Cynthia range track is a spectacular climb out of the valley south of Talbotville and on the way up we noticed that a couple of the big water run offs had been bypassed and wondered why until we checked out the little used dead end southern track and to our surprise found a 6 wheel flat bed Telstra crane truck perched at the end of the spur.

Concrete had already been poured and the first 30 ft of a small tower was partly up.

From the look of things this phone tower will improve the reception north from the Wonnangatta caravan park right up that valley to Herne spur. I would not expect it to extend range into the main Wonnangatta valley.

Don't surpose anyone knows of a list of phone towers by location ?

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 12:22

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 12:22
Robin,

I'm interested to know how you know it was for phone?

Could it be for other comms antennas, ie VHF trunking etc?

Just interested.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 342555

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 17:21

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 17:21
Hi Mark

I can not be sure it is for phone, as even the aerials had not been mounted else I would have measured them and known the approximate frequency of operation , but it was Telstra and it sort of fits the conditions however the system was also well positioned to monitor potential river flows and use telemetry to supply info back to base or even be used as a low level TV relay tower.

The system looked pretty substantial though and it would be good if we had a reference to where new phone sites are being built.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 610260

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 17:07

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 17:07
Thanks Robin,

Will have a gander next time I'm up that way..

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 610428

Reply By: pickle - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 18:56

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 18:56
Actually Telstra have a tower on top of Mcguires track. Mcguires runs from Wonnangatta Rd to the High Plains rd.
So would be level with Black Snake Creek camping area but up the hill.
I would have thought if the were going to put Mobile phone towers in it would have been on that existing tower or the Pinnacles whilst rebuilding.
Don't need mobile phone coverage out their anyway.....spoil the serenity.
Dave
AnswerID: 342606

Reply By: madcow - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 08:05

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 08:05
Will keep an eye out for it on Friday. We are mucking around this way over the weekend.
AnswerID: 342661

Reply By: DarrynJ - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 09:08

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 09:08
Hi Robin, it is for Telstra Mobiles, Next G and possibly GSM. There was a notice in the Public Notices section of the Gippsland Times a few months ago that it was to be built. It should extend coverage up to Talbotville and over to the Pioneer Racecourse - Eaglevale area. There is a Telstra Tower on Mcguires Tk which covers the Southern end of that Valley that has been there about 12 months. I would have thought there would be Next G coverage in the Wonnangatta itself from Mt Buller as the old Analog mobiles would work in places from Buller. I wish Telstra would put a Next G cell on Mt Moornapa as Next G isn't as good as it should be where I live.

Cheers Darryn
AnswerID: 342670

Sponsored Links