Opinions on those ebay all in one dvd, gps, radio units etc

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 11:28
ThreadID: 64887 Views:3841 Replies:3 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Not totally off topic and I have searched this forum and many others.

I am looking at those cheap ($500) all in one 7" screen GPS, DVD, MP3 etc units on ebay and would love to hear comments from people who may have actually purchased one.

Yes I know I can go and spend 1000's on a brand name, with the possibility of it getting stolen. Given the amount of rattles and squeaks I have in my car, total clarity and quality are not too high on the agenda. I am after something that is functional and that can be seen and heard with a touch screen.

I have read a number of forums where you can supposedly run OziCE on them as well as the nav software that they come with (usually Igo or Route66)

Any opinions welcome, particularly from people who have previously gone down this path. I am after both good and bad experiences.

Thanks

Cheers

Richard

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Off-track - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:03

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:03
The bloke that usually sits next to me (he's still on leave) recently bought an in-dash unit for about that price. He was able to compare it to a genuine Toyota item and found they were exactly the same, apart from the Toyota startup display. He's happy.
AnswerID: 343034

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:07

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:07
What brand is it please.
Traditionally Toyotas used Fujitsu Ten for their older units and in NZ we got Jap imports with that brand in them

FollowupID: 610749

Follow Up By: Off-track - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 14:38

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 14:38
He got it from an ebay shop about 4 months ago. When he gets back I'll ask. It was for his LC100 and would have come from the same factory (albeit with different brand name - unless it was a copy?) as the genuine Toyota ones.
FollowupID: 610788

Reply By: Pat (vic) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:03

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:03
Hi Richard.

I purchased one of these units about 6 months ago without the gps.
The sound is good it has SD slot witch I use for music as it won’t skip on rough roads.
The cd/dvd works well to.
The tv is analog but don’t expect it to have good reception with the std aerial.
I paid $130 for it plus postage, I am very happy with it for a cheap unit it is a 2din.

This is similar the unit I purchased

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/626-7-TFT-LCD-CAR-IN-DASH-TV-MONITOR-FM-MP3-DVD-PLAYER_W0QQitemZ400020876229QQihZ027QQcategoryZ163801QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

cheers Pat
AnswerID: 343035

Follow Up By: Pat (vic) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:25

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:25
Forgot to say it has blue tooth for the mobile phone if the music is on it cuts out the music and the phone can be answered through the unit very handy and very clear.

cheers Pat
FollowupID: 610753

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:30

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:30
Yeah I noticed the bluetooth. What is the small inbuilt microphone like though as far as people at the other end of the phone hearing with all the background noise?

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 610755

Follow Up By: Pat (vic) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:54

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:54
No problem with background noise but I have 2x10”speekers in the rear and get a little echoing happening only to the other person, I think that if they weren’t there it would be better for the other person only a small problem.
I also have the volume fairly high with the blue tooth setting as my hearing isn't to good.

Cheers Pat
FollowupID: 610763

Reply By: Ozboc - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 15:37

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 15:37
I have one --- cost me about $130 or so - + shipping ( was about $80 from memory) i won at auction on the Thursday - paid for it Thursday night ... Monday morning it was at my door , did i mention it was shipped from Hong Kong ??

I buy stuff from Melbourne - to Sydney that takes Longer

I have had mine now for about 8 months - have not had an issue at all -- i have a dvd burned with about 600 Mp3 and wma files - and plays no problem - even on rough road - you can even make individual folders on your dvd , example " My music" " Wifes Music" then you can have it play from either folder rather than having to change disk

tried the bluetooth option .. its ok , but dont use it -- dont use the TV as i have dvd player for the kids already

would i buy another one tomorrow if it broke today? you bet!! ....

Boc
AnswerID: 343065

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 18:12

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 18:12
Boc

From what I have seen they appear to be ok. The one I am looking at has pretty much everything in it, GPS, DVD, FM, AM, TV, USB, SD Card access, Bluetooth etc etc.

Basically I would like to run all of my mapping from it as well so as I can retire the ASUS PDA which currently runs either Tom Tom or Co Piilot in the city and OziCE outback. Would be nice to have an all in one unit without going to the expense of 2 - 3K for one of the brand name screens and a car computer.

Will continue to look over the next few days and see what is available and make a decision from there. Thanks.

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 610829

Follow Up By: kev.h - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 18:14

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 18:14
I'll second that got mine same way $280 delivered off ebay ex Hong Kong 3 days
TV good in city bit ordinary in bush but could be the aerial
DVD, MP3, Rear view camera, Bluetooth & GPS ( route 66 maps )
The unit is double din with motorised touch screen
Very happy with the unit, would I buy again YES
Cheers Kev
FollowupID: 610830

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 18:20

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 18:20
Kev

I guess all you guys bought yours some time ago as the prices have definitely gone up with the drop in the Aussie dollar. Most of the GPS ones now are around the $450 - $500 mark delivered. Still not a bad deal when you compare what is around locally.

I currently run Tom Tom or Co Pilot, so wondering what the Route 66 application and maps are like. How up to date are the maps that are supplied and how do you go about updating the maps if you need to do that?

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 610833

Follow Up By: rotanon - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 20:43

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 20:43
I am keen on getting one of these units also for on-road and off-road gps navigation, something like OziCE and iGo. Does anyone know what the SD card capacity is on these Chinese units? Is it restricted to 2Gb or can you use the higher capacity cards *e.g. 4Gb or 8Gb).

Loading up all the software and maps must be pushing 2Gb if that is the limit.
FollowupID: 610890

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 20:58

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 20:58
Not sure on the GPS - i don't think that its an independent GPS - ie load in your maps and run oziexplorer for example - i could be wrong ( hope i am ) think its just a mirror of your current GPS will look into my one further - but i did try to connect my GPS receiver to the bluetooth and it just didn't find it at all .. so maybe it will be via the usb port ? - i have my gps on a Laptop so have not really explored this part of the unit as yet

anyway - i asked them for user manuals -and they sent me this link that covers all there models

eonon user manuals

so have a look at the user manuals - maybe this will be of some help

Boc
FollowupID: 610900

Sponsored Links