Digital Cameras and Touring

Submitted: Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 09:08
ThreadID: 6492 Views:1935 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
When our 3rd child was born a year ago, we purchased a Panasonic 2mega pixel digital camera. Since then we have travelled and taken a few thousand photo's (with the help of a lap top). I havent used my Nikon SLR at all since.

Ive just upgraded my digital and purchased a Canon G5 (5mega pixel). So far the pics are sensational and a huge improvement on the Panasonic. The camera came with 2 x 256mb, 1x 32mb compact flash cards. This is good to store over 600 photo's. The compact flash cards are also available in 512mb, 1gb and now 4 giga bytes. It would cost a fortune to get traditional film developed, especially 600 photo's.

If anyone is considering touring the great land, a digital camera is a must. Check out some reviews if you think the quality of digital is no good.

www.dpreview.com

By the way, I dont work for a camera store. If anyone wants to by my second hand Nikon F90x, give me your details.

John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Savvas - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:45

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:45
John...

I'd love a G5 but $$$'s is an issue right now. However, 4 weeks ago I bought a Canon A70 which is their new 3.2Mp job. It's my 1st digital camera having had 3 Minolta SLR's prior to it.

I agree with you. It's great to just shoot photos and voila, there they are!

I convert the pics into a slide show with some backing music and interesting transitions and burn it to a VCD. These can then be viewed any time on the TV through a DVD player.

Much easier than setting up the old slide projector!!!

AnswerID: 27422

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:49

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:49
And for cameras, Goto
Dirt Cheap CamerasI got my Fuji S602Z from there. VERY GOOD service. Bought over the net, and had it 2 days later!

Would have gone the canon but it doesnt have 1% the Zoom that the Fuji does.

Also for cheap CF Cards, try
EXELTEK.COM.AU

AnswerID: 27424

Follow Up By: Johnad - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 17:12

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 17:12
Interesting review of the Fuji on dpreview, it was one of the cameras I looked at. The G5 metering system is fantastic, Ive tried to trick it, but it just produces perfect photos - thats what I want.

Good to hear about dirt cheap cameras service. I was going to buy mine from there but its not on their site yet.

Im still reluctant to purchase on the net, call it FEAR!!
FollowupID: 18904

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 11:13

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 11:13
John,

If you could email the details of the F90x and any other accessories you would sell with it, along with how much you want for it all (bundled or seperate), i'd appreciate it, as i'm looking to get another SLR. My email address is hall_sa_99@hotmail.com.

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 27428

Follow Up By: Johnad - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 17:16

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 17:16
Ive advertised it on the trader section of this site. My contact details are 0421 851 316.

The camera is $1250, at Michaels camera store they want $1699 for the same unit (without the zoom lens).

The light meter is $550.

John
FollowupID: 18905

Reply By: Glenno - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:46

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:46
I am getting ready to head off on 5 weeks Bris -> Cairns/Cooktown -> Darwin -> Brisbane, and get married in Port Douglass along the way. Anyway i was in a pickle as to what to do with digital camera memory. I was either going to have to buy a bunch of 256MB memory sticks or take less photos. I certainly couldnt bank on a kodak shop every couple of days!.

Anyway i purchased one of these suckersXDrive-II which is awesome. The company is called Powerinnumbers www.powerinnumbers.com.au and they are in Melbourne.

The unit has a 20GB laptop hard drive and copies any memory card to the internal drive. Has 2hours of battery life and takes about 5mins to copy 128MB cards. When i get home i just sync it via USB to the pc. then via the PC to kodak via the Internet and 5 days later presto my pics arrive!

Its the best $300 i have spent in a long time and couldnt be happier. If 20GB isnt enough just buy a larger HDD!

Enjoy, id be keen to know if anyone else uses anything like this and what they think of it.

Cheers,

glenno at glenno dotcom
AnswerID: 27904

Follow Up By: Johnad - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 23:48

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 23:48
Fortunately, I have a laptop that has a 40gb hard drive with a built in CD burner (and DVD player to keep the kids happy).

What sort of camera are you using?

Have you tried e-box at Big W stores, only 47c per print?!?

All the processing is digital, and the results are brilliant!
FollowupID: 19327

Follow Up By: Glenno - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 11:08

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 11:08
That was my thinking - take my work laptop. I didnt want the risk of carrying yet another $5,000 of equipment in the truck. Pus explaining to the boss if something went wrong. Plus the space it takes up etc. So this little unit does the trick.

I take a look at Big W and have a look at what they have. Kodak is 80c which is a fair bit more.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 19356

Sponsored Links