Holden Adventra 4WD?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 18:15
ThreadID: 64923 Views:15560 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone had any experience (good or bad) with the 2006 Holden Adventra 4WD / AWD wagon as a daily driver - recreational vehicle for light beach work, gravel tracks etc?

I think the Subaru Outback and Mazda Tribute would be the 2 equivalent vehicles in imported models at similar prices.

Many thanks in advance.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 18:29

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 18:29
I know a guy who bought one of the first V8's to tow his boat with.
Previously had an Exploder.
Last time I was talking to him he said he was very dissapointed with fuel consumption.
The new 6's will probably be better.

He said the only good thing was Holden sent him a cheque for $7,000 when they reduced the price shortly after he bought it.

Dont know about off road abilities however
AnswerID: 343243

Reply By: Wim - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 18:50

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 18:50
Flywest.
had the opportunity to spend the day off raod in an Adventra.
Surprisingly capable.
Down side.
1. Very poor vission over the bonnet.
2. Fuel tank is way to small to be viable outback.
3. No "real"ground clearance.

regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 343248

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 19:16

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 19:16
All those Awd and crossover cars originated in europe for icy conditions.....they seemed to continued the trend over in the harshest of environments, Austraila They aint made for sand and stones no matter what they tell you!!!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 343253

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 19:21

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 19:21
Had 2 within our fleet - both v6. Both now gone as had done their 45,000kms. No troubles with them and averaged 11.2l/100km for the duration. Both had to have the rhs tyres front and rear replaced at approx 35,000km - lhs were ok and stayed until vehicle replaced - go figure - would have expected the lhs as that is the side that ends up in the dirt shoulder but.... Have also had in the fleet since they were released Ford Territories - AWD and RWD. Into the second round of them and again no real problems. They do go through tyres though - the AWDs. The Adventra had a reasonable range in the bush but useless around town. Same with the Territory. Both however were/are hopeless to get the last 15l into the tanks. Operated on country sealed and unsealed roads - not 'offroad' - we have 4WDs for that. Went to get a dual cab Commodore to lease but they have gone so have ended up with a Sportswagon - not sure how that will go re. cargo space but we'll just have to see. Performance and economy in the country excellent for both Holden and Ford. Did not and would not consider anything else if actually venturing away from any of the major population areas. Did however have to specify real size spare wheel and still do - should be an ADR to force manuf to supply a matching spare to what is on the car. They do not have good clearance or ramp over but on gravel roads are good - can slide well. The Outback and Tribute are not really the same type of vehicle so cannot be compared. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 343255

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 19:44

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 19:44
They have absolutely nothing at the front that can be used as a towing or recovery point.
AnswerID: 343262

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:21

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:21
Phil, behind a small cover on the left side of the front bumper (about 1/2 way out from the centre) there is a recovery point. You open the cover and screw the recovery eye into it (about an M16 thread) and can attach whatever via a D shackle. In 2005 they had a recall to install a strengthening kit in behind there. I've never used it but I open the cover when I clean the bumper. It's a bit of a bugger to close.

Cheers, Louie
FollowupID: 611091

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 23:28

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 23:28
Thanks for correcting me there Louis. Last year we helped a guy who was stuck on the beach with an incoming tide at Robe. Ended up digging and pushing him out because we couldn't find a tow point on his Adventra, and he didn't know anything about the recovery eye that you mention. You wouldn't catch me snatching off a recovery eye. Tow or winch would be OK.
FollowupID: 611155

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 08:51

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 08:51
I had a drive day out with GM a couple of years ago when they released the Adventura. One of the demos was to use a hand winch from the front recovery point. All I can say is that it looked impressive from a cosmetic perspective but load it up from a deep bog and things will become interesting. I'd say it'd only take a ton or two at the maximum....sure not up to snatch grade out of deep sand. You did the right thing in my opinion Phil by pushing him out. Cheers
FollowupID: 611183

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:22

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:22
I agree, I wouldn't want my car snatched out by it. But then again, at the price when purchased, and what I'd get for it now, I want mine to last as long as possible, so I won't be driving it on the beach.

I just looked in the sales brochure and it says there is one on the rear bumper also. I've never noticed it though so will check it out. It also says that the recovery point is an accessory. At the cost of the tooling for a bumper bar I wouldn't have thought they would mould 2 different front and/or rear bumpers. It's way cheaper to just put the recovery points in as standard. The recovery point would have to be rated at at least 2500kg I would have thought, since the kerb weight of the vehicle is just under 2000 kg.

Cheers

Louie
FollowupID: 611207

Reply By: Louie the fly (SA) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:16

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:16
G'day Flywest. I have a July 04 CX8 (with full leather interior, 2100 KG tow pack & fog lights). We bought it in May 2005 as an ex Holden owned car with 7800km on it. It now has done just over 80,000.

Pro's
1. Tows my 5.4m 1900kg+ ski boat effortlessly - lots of power 330hp
2. Plenty of space - we have 2 teenagers and never run short of room
3. Comfy, well appointed and quiet
4. Handles as good as my BMW MSport coupe did
5. The V8 exhaust note sounds sweet - a guy thing, until your wife drives it, then it quickly becomes a chick thing as well!
6. Excellent brakes
7. Get's up & boogies when you want it to....
8. You can remove the towbar and put the ally cover on and it's a nice clean look. Takes less than a minute to do.

Con's
1. likes to eat tyres - needs to be aligned every 6 months. Get about 35,000 out of a set
2. likes a drink - 16.2 l/100km average since we've had it
3. had a few recalls. Side airbag wiring, front recovery point (yes, it does have one - located under a cover on the left side of the front bumper), and one other minor one that I can't recall the details of.

Warranty issues
1. Roof rails replaced because of corrosion under the powder coat. Replaced in 2005.
2. Both front door side protection moulds replaced because they cracked

I just had my water pump replaced 2 weeks ago as it was leaking. Replaced under extended warranty so we only paid for the coolant. Had to replace the front left door lock actuator. Apparently a common fault with Commodores VY on. Easy fix - $40 from a wrecker instead of $250 from Holden.

It has 90mm more ground clearance than a stock Commodore. I've never taken it offroad and never will, that's what my 4WD is for. But it handles dirt roads like it's on the bitumen. Overall, we are really happy with our Adventra and we'll hang on to it for as long as we can afford to run it. Incidentally, it has the same ZF front diff bits as the BMW & Merc softroaders.

If you have any specific Q's just ask.
Louie
AnswerID: 343271

Reply By: Flywest - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:38

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:38
Thanks heaps fellas

Second son just bought a 2006 XL V6 with 80,000k's, it seems like a nice ride - Just was hoping we did the right thing!

The old Bitsamissing triton 2.5 Tdiesel Dual Cab 4x4 that I bought new 15 years ago in 1994, with 400,000km;s just sold this afternoon, I'm actually sad to see it go - been a member of the family so long!

Hope the Adventura fills its shoes - I'm guessing it will - the tyres isn't an issue - know someone in the game and get looked after in that dept.

Cheers
AnswerID: 343281

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 22:36

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 22:36
My only contact with them was back in about 2005 when I was involved in the rescue of a woman from a single car accident on the Silver City Highway just south of Packsaddle.

The car left the road at about 100km/h and flew off a creek embankment. It skipped once on the rocks in the bottom of the creek and collided with the dirt embankment on the other side ending up on its side.

As I checked the car for fuel and oil leaks I noticed some shiny metal bits stuck into the embankment. It was part of the gearbox casing which had bleep tered on impact. This thing hit hard.

The only occupant, the driver was released from the vehicle largely by their own effort. Despite the fact that every panel including the roof and floor pan were distorted the only injury was a broken ankle caused when the driver hit the floor.

My initial thought when I saw the car was that we would have a fatality. When we looked at the car in the compound the next day I was suprised there were no serious injuries.

I was impressed. I know we don't buy cars to have prangs in but, occasionally, we do have prangs in cars. When we do it's nice to know the car will look after you.

The driver was from a station just south of Tib and was sorry the Holden was gone. They were planning to buy another as a replacement.

Before anyone asks the accident was self confessed driver error, changing the radio station.

I have followed an Outback across sand dunes and was suitably impressed by the performance.

Duncs
AnswerID: 343317

Follow Up By: Flywest - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 00:10

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 00:10
Thanks Duncs - the safety aspect is a big issue being that its for the second eldest son at 19 years of age.

It's reassuring to hear the result of such a hard landing, the thing has about a zillion air bags all over it, and being the luxury model - more gizmos that the space shuttle.

The lads been a pretty safe driver so far the couple years that he's had a license, but as a parent the big thing you do worry bout is the worst case scenario - ergo - what if he stacks it or worse, someone else ploughs into him etc

Thanks for the real word practical adivce heads up - as a parent thats a great relief.

Cheers
FollowupID: 611159

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:16

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:16
Flywest, this was another mitigating factor in making our decision to buy the Adventra. With a young family, and towing a boat, we felt the AWD gave us a bit of added security over the standard Commodore, especially when on the dirt road.

I looked at these other vehicles during the process;

1. Ford Territory AWD
2. Volvo AWD wagon - V70 I think
3. Subaru Outback
4. Magna AWD sedan (would have bought this if I was after a sedan)

Adventra ticked all the boxes for us.

Louie
FollowupID: 611205

Reply By: Flywest - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 01:04

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 01:04
Thank you one & all for al the comments good and bad.

Young fella collected his vehicle today, and is pretty excited - spent all day cleaning polishing, waxing buffing vacuuming and armoralling glazing rainexing etc etc etc to get it back to almost new appearance.

It was a Telstra vehicle from NSW, so seems to have been serviced regularly etc from new and presents really well -= probably some exectutives car.

Few early issues - like:-
no owners manual
missing draw bar and towball
missing the ally cover plate for the tow bar area
can't find the recovery eyelet to screw into the front bumper
can't find the auto trans dipstick to check fluid level
Don;'t know wat "memory card & remote" in the list of specifications means?....memory card and remote for what? the 6 disc in dash CD stacker?
Wheres the first aid kit hidden?

Thats it so far! LOL

Hard to keep up with all this modern technology!

Cheers
AnswerID: 343645

Sponsored Links