Places updates

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 23:53
ThreadID: 64942 Views:2266 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I love this web site and has great advantages as a member.... BUT... I am totally frustrated with "places". I go to "My Home Page" and see that there are 8 new places since last logging on... GREAT. So I click on view updates, end up on the places page with no indicatio which of the "300,000" places are the new ones.. Can anyone help PLEASE?
Fred
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 00:23

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 00:23
Yes I would have to agree with you on that Fred. PITB.

it used to be good, now you can't fined anything, or it's full of crap.

I have posted many photos and places on it but now it's starting to get to hard, once I have to start typing the name I can easily do that in Google and it help me spell.. LOL

Cheers

Richard
AnswerID: 343333

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:52

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:52
Richard,

Is your issue the fact that the airstip update placed so many updates on the map or is there something else we can look at?

I have just taken the airstrip updates off the latest map so this has reduced the amount of places. I am working in places all the time so any feedback on ideas of how to make it beter are always welcome.

DM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 611198

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:05

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:05
You seem to be making a comment about the basic search I can change this to a LIKE search if you think that would help I made it look at the start of the string to try to quickly reduce the results to gain a closer match if I use a LIKE match and you type per for instance you get around 10,000 results with the start of string you get around 500 and then the next characters bring you down to 10 and so on. It is a difficult balance in textual searching but I am always open to suggections?

We are also thinking of bringing together a number of the POI types into groups so say Camping/Accomodation would auto include all Camp Free, Camp Fee, Caravan Park and Motel/Resort into one mapped group so you can quickly navigate the map to find your result. This may help a bit, we tend to find we use map search most of the time and not text but let me know what you guys want and we will work on it to make it better.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611202

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:40

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:40
Richard,

My Home update also installed.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611213

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 02:39

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 02:39
Sorry, I'm up in BK, and just got home from the Club.. hic,

I will try and say what I mean tomorrow. stay in side day exp. 44 deg C.

Cheers

Richard
FollowupID: 611341

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 21:13

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 21:13
Well seems there is no reason for me to reply.

Places is perfect

don't know what all the fuss was about.. :-)

Well done

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 611824

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:36

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:36
I'd say Fred that the latest very large update of all the airstrips has probably negated that for a while, setting the option to Latest Updates results in whatever number of airstrips there are. Generally you can preset what you want to view in the Interactive Search area, where it will only show you what you want to look at.
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 343372

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:50

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:50
You are dead right oone this and I have aged the airstrip update to 20/18/2008 which has taken them out of the latest updates layer. This has solved it partly.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611196

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:39

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:39
Fred,

Thanks for the reminder the link from the Member Home to place updates has been broken for a while - I will fix it right now and get back to you in the post when I have done it. I will also age the airstrip updates I did to move than 2 weeks ago to get them off the map - that will help also.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 343373

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:06

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:06
Airstrip updates now removed from main map so the latest updates are easily seen - the member My Home updates since last logon is a little harder to solve but I am on it.

DM

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611203

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:08

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:08
Hi David,

Is it possible when you zoom on a selected area, to be able to select all places instead of just once place type from the drop down menu?

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611222

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:17

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:17
Alan,

Excellent question. Answer yes it is possible however we would have to be on a close zoom as the number of features shown would be enourmous - When you add the mountain/peak/hill layer you will see what I mean. This is the reason we have layer by layer, however it is also a pain to have to add them one at a time.
This is why we are thinking of bringing together a number of the POI types into groups so say Camping/Accomodation would auto include all Camp Free, Camp Fee, Caravan Park and Motel/Resort into one mapped group, other mater layers such as hydrogology to add all water types. I am wanting to get the master POI list down to less than 8 and have then as checkboxes in the map window so it is easy to see them and turn them on and off.

How does this sound? I can do the turn on all features and map it - there will be a performance penality but it is possible. Lets keep working on this and thanks for bringing it up.

DM

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611225

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:28

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:28
Thanks David,

POI groups sounds OK vs Performance issues.

Cheers

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611229

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:39

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:39
Fred,

I have done it - I added a new control on the Members My home page and installed the place updates in this. It is like the latest pages control and you can see the basic details of the place directly in the My Home page and click to the update as you see fit.

Thanks again for reminding me to fix this - also please provide me with another other feedback on Places we are working one this system all the time and need your feedback to make it better for all.

Let me know how this update works for you.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 343387

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 13:25

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 13:25
Things are looking better already. The other problem that occurred through this, is once you log off (not having viewed any of the updates, because I didn't know which ones they were) the next time you log in, its not possible to track down those updates you haven't seen yet. That means you have to visit every category and look at every place to see which are new, and that is just not practical. What that boils down to, is that any updates in the last month or so have gone unseen.

Any change to reduce the number of categories would be welcome, that would then improve the text search and increase the possibility of getting a hit on the one you are looking for. I have often done a text search for a particular name e.g. whistleduck creek, old policeman's waterhole etc.... and the search has come up "nil". when those places actually existed (I put them on the site). But they they don't show up now. Whistleduck waterhole comes up (without any info provided), but its real name is whistleduck creek waterhole.

To be honest, I gave up trying to update places sites, or add new ones, because every time I did it would come up with some sort of "string" error. As I said, when I finally did manage to upload whistleduck creek and old policeman's waterhole, future attempts to locate them and update them in places failed.
Fred
Fred B

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611238

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 13:30

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 13:30
Actually, I am willing to try again at putting up some places and do several updates on places, so long as I can feel confident that they won't "disappear" again.
Fred
Fred B

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 343406

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:09

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:09
Fred,

I just typed in Old Poli in the places basic search and the drop down list of matches showed me Old Police Station Waterhole - NT. I also typed whistledu and the drop down showed me Whistleduck Waterhole - NT first results and no other weird pages. Can you tell me how you are trying to find these places.

BTW: You do not need to add Features on the map in order to use Basic Search - just type in what you are looking for and the results will drop down - mind you as mentioned to Richard earlier the list does look from left to right in order to get to results faster but I could adjust this to match any part so police in this case would match Old Policemans (it just makes the search a little slower but it may be worth a try).

Also the content cannot just disappear I am curious as to what may have happened - we have logs of every update that occurs in places so we should be able to back track any updates that may have gone missing. Do you remember when these updates occured.

The map on the Places home page shows your updates for the last 2 weeks so you can just click on the little marker and see what it is. I currently do not have a textual updates list (other than the one I just put up in the Member Home Page) however we could investigate doing this.

Be confident that you upates will not go away - we are very happy to receive these updates as we do not know it all and rest assured we do not want the information to go away. I am working on a load of new updates that will allow you to actually edit the content on the view page (this will save heaps of time).

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611702

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:40

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:40
Thanks David for your reply.
I just tried the search again, and it worked, so I don't know what went on the last couple of times I tried it. As I said earlier I gave up trying to add to places after several attempts to do so, and every time I tried to "submit", the site would come back with a "string error", the data would "disappear" so to speak, and I would have to start all over again. So I gave up. This was probably late November, early December last year. Sorry, I do not remember the exact error code.

Yes, the changes to the load of new updates would be most welcome. Sorry, I should have done more to notify you of any problems I had, rather than have a whinge. My apologies.
Fred
Fred B

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 343849

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 14:20

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 14:20
Fred,

No problems - I have also just added a new button on the places index and place show page which is called Updates Last 14 Days - this will give you a new result window with the latest updates shown in a textual way. I have also adjusted the search output window in line with this update so the search pop up window and the latest pop up use the hoverover show system that shows more of the please detail when you hover your mouse over the name. Anyway have a look at these and see if these updates also help.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611737

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 18:02

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 18:02
Hi David,
that is a much better idea. Simplifies the search and makes it easy to look at any new items in the area of interest. And yes, these updates are a big help. Thanks,
Fred
Fred B

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 343919

Sponsored Links