New Flood Photos

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:06
ThreadID: 64979 Views:4485 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
The flood at the grid near the Clinic is now at 6.55m this morning. This photo is standing at the grid looking along the road east - to the river (3 klms) the racetrack (4 klms) and turnoff to Windorah.Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:21

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:21
Ruth, how much higher would the waters have to go to reach town?

And where does the water go when it clears, ie, what places should be looking over their shoulder?

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 343541

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:31

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:31
Stephen, I took the photo standing at the grid near the Clinic, which is the eastern edge of town. Need to be 7 m to create some 'fun'. This water goes down the Diamantina, through Goyders Lagoon (near Clifton Hills on the Birdsville Track) takes a few turns and tumbles through the sandhills and makes it way to the northern part of Lake Eyre and can sometimes be seen entering the Lake through the Warburton Groove. When I say 'can be seen' I mean quite literally. Flying over that is spectacular, to actually see floodwater entering the Lake! Too early to say yet whether this water we have will make it to the Lake but I will keep you posted on that.
FollowupID: 611377

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:39

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:39
Thanks Ruth,

I suppose I should be consulting a map but it's more interesting to ask you Queenslanders.

So, what flood waters would feed the Darling River system?

Mount Isa and surrounds are flooding. Would that water feed into the Darling?

If so, and it was left alone, would it eventually reach the Murray and the coast in SA? I gather it's years since the water has actually reached the ocean.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 343543

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:28

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:28
Stephen, you need your good maps and have a good read. This actually brings up something Ian and I were discussing yesterday - whether Google Earth would show us the various parts of the river in flood?
I had my topographical maps out but I am missing some of the northern ones- it is very interesting following all the creeks and by-ways.
Most of the water you mention would go to the Lake Eyre Basin - have a look at the Cooper though (near Windorah) that water with the Thompson/Barcoo goes to the Murray Darling - check your Flood Heights on BOM as they are all in flood at the moment.
I believe it would take a lot more than is in the system at the moment to reach the Great Southern Ocean - maybe now that most of the waterholes are filling, a Cyclone or good rains up and down the rivers would make it a possibility - wouldn't it be wonderful.
Surprising to find the headwaters of these Rivers on your maps and track them down stream - that will give you something to do today!
If anyone has an answer about Google Earth or some other way to look at the rivers other than flying over them I would be pleased to read about it.
FollowupID: 611388

Follow Up By: Dave B (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:43

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:43
G'day Stephen, here is a map of the Murray Darling Catchment Area.

Technically, we are in the Murray Darling Catchment Area here, but Thackaringa is in the Lake Eyre Catchment Area.

I reckon you would need some heavy showers for a while at Thackaringa for the runoff to reach Lake Eyre.

Image Could Not Be Found

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611392

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:44

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:44
Thanks Dave,

that's a great map.

cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611404

Reply By: Bros 1 - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:53

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:53
G'day Ruth,
Compliments of the season to yourself and Ian.
Good to see the water flowing like that.
I can not see on my Exploroz wall map where the Thompson-Barcoo finish up in the Murray-Darling system.
The major river from Qld seems to be the Warrego starting from Carnarvon Range and to a lesser extent the Paroo River.
Maybe i can't see too good and someone can enlighten me further.
Cheers
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 343552

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 17:48

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 17:48
Hi ya Bros 1, you are quite right (see below response to Dodger) - must have been overhung this a.m.
FollowupID: 611432

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:33

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:33
The Grey range to the west of Quilpie is the watershed divide.

Warrego & Paroo are the main western rivers to flood the darling but the cotton growers will pumped it all out before then. Darling actually starts in the Condamine which has its source at the "The Head" south of Rathdowney at teviot Gap.

The Bulloo just runs out in a plain east of Tibbooburra

Alan
AnswerID: 343561

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 13:13

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 13:13
Grey Range, thanks Alan - couldn't think of the name in my haste this a.m.
FollowupID: 611411

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 14:33

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 14:33
Alan,

Be very surprised if there's any "Cotton Cockies" on the Paroo or Warrego.

I'm sure they'd like to be there!!!

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 611415

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 13:56

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 13:56
Hello Ruth

Bit wet out there, eh?

George and Maureen are having a lovely holiday in Boulia. When I spoke to him this morning he mentioned a dead carcass floating by in the waters. They are completely cut off but do say that there might be the slightest possiblity of a way out to Winton next week. I am not so sure. I remember doing that run one January at night with me walking through the flood-waters looking for washouts in the road while Jude was driving the Renault!

George says that the people of Boulia have been fantastic looking after them and he can't speak highly enough of them. If there is still no way out by Wednesday they might fly out leaving the 4by in Boulia and come and pick it up when the roads are open again.

Such is life in the tropics in summer....been there, done that.....lol

Bone dry here in the Borough.

Cheers
AnswerID: 343568

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 15:12

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 15:12
Willem, wondered how G & M were getting on - thought they might have gone to Alice Springs and up that way. Maybe I should have talked them into staying here - Maureen and I could have been crafty!
Hot here again and looks very stormy to the north again - storms predicted for this afternoon NE of Birdsville.
FollowupID: 611418

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 14:14

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 14:14
The Thompson and the Barcoo Rivers Join near Windorah then form the Coopers Creek which runs into Lake Eyre Nth in the southern end whilst the Diamantina runs into Lake Eyre Nth in the northern end via the Warburton Creek.
Seems weird to me that rivers run into creeks but that was the way they were named years ago.
The Paroo usually peters out Nth East of Tilpa NSW into lakes however in extreme floods enters the Darling up stream from Wilcannia.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 343570

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 15:16

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 15:16
Dodger, you are completely correct - I must have had my blonde wig on this a.m., maybe result of last night's Happy Hour.
It is strange about rivers into creeks and how sometimes they disappear altogether underground and pop up somewhere else.
FollowupID: 611419

Reply By: handy - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 15:06

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 15:06
yeah the ol cooper creek at windorah is up at the moment , dont think it will bust its banks but is filling a few channels.
can see water looking across from the beer garden. lol
AnswerID: 343578

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 20:25

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 20:25
Tonight the river is at 6.7m and rising slowly. I t has started to drop slightly at Roseberth (30 klms to the east). Also dropped slightly at Diamantina Lakes - this water still to come down to us.
The flood here caused by big local rains. The sandhills are looking quite green with vegetation already growing. Nice day today - only 45.
AnswerID: 343618

Sponsored Links