Tyres for an Outback

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:48
ThreadID: 64987 Views:2379 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

G'day all, just got my Outback back from the tyre shop after an alignment and I was told my 2 front tyres will need replacing soon. So what have people used in the past for good mileage etc? My Outback is a 2002 model.

Cheers
Dale
Busselton WA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 15:29

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 15:29
We have liked the Grantrek AT2 LT tyres we have on our smaller car RAV4.
A bit noiser but better performance than the road tyres the car came with.

We couldn't get the exact size , but close enough and there is a fair range of smaller 16 & 15 inch sizes.

They aren't currently listed on the website , but instead show the AT3 , which I gather a the latest release of that tyre

http://www.dunloptyres.com.au/TyreDetailAction.do?website=DUN&websegmentcode=RV&mtpcode=00574&from=nPerPage
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 343582

Reply By: disco driver - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 00:15

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 00:15
Hi Dale,
I'm not going to suggest what brand of tyre should go onto your Outback, but rather that with a constant all wheel drive like yours perhaps you should be considering a full set of tyres rather than just the front ones.
The rationale behind this is: Tyres of different rolling radius (ie New ones and part worn ones) will cause the centre diff or torque drive system , as the case may be, to be constantly compensating for the different diameters of the mismatched tyres.
This will create unnecessary wear and heat build up and should be avoided as much as possible to prolong the life of these components.

Disco.

AnswerID: 343642

Sponsored Links