Dave Phoenix completes Burke and Wills Walk 2008

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 14:21
ThreadID: 64988 Views:1994 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I had posted about this fella before and have just had an email from him to say that is home and safe and well. One tough fella he his. I have to drive to the shops 300 metres away....lol

Here is a short lead in to the story:

The Burke & Wills Expedition is undoubtedly Australia's most famous exploration venture. The drama acted out on Cooper Creek in 1861 shaped the history of the nation and has become fundamental in developing a sense of identity and place.

It is nearly 150 years since Burke & Wills' epic journey from Melbourne to the Gulf of Carpentaria. The evocative tale of blunder and bravery has been told many times, but nobody has attempted to walk in the explorer's faded footsteps across the entire continent.

Dave Phoenix has just walked across Australia following the Expedition's route. He left Royal Park in Melbourne on Friday 1st August 2008 and reached the Gulf of Carpentaria at the end of December 2008 after walking 3,752 kilometres. Day 163 of his walk.

Site Link

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Top End Explorer Tours - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 14:38

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 14:38
G/day Willem.

I will finish a book called The Dig Tree tonight, Although Mum gave it to last Xmas before Philip and I went to the Dig Tree last January, I had read about 100 pages, I put it down on the bed side table next to all the other half read books.

I picked it up again the other night and as I said will finish it tonight, The book was written by Sarah Murgatroyd, it is a well researched and written book, It is one of my favourite expeditions, My favourite being Leichardt.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 343574

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 18:59

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 18:59
Hi Willem

Just amazing, he must have put himself through a Torture Test,
at least he knew the way not like Burke & Wills, you cant amagine
what they went through, and to end up like it did, very gutsy.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 343608

Sponsored Links