Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ first 5k report..

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 18:42
ThreadID: 64995 Views:3113 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I had previously just used them on the bitimen roads around town until i got my Hilux to where i wanted it..A few mates said whats the noise like (wooo-hooo as you drive along) ..How could i giv them a good answer as these were the first 4wd tyre i hav ever owned...So jump in and you can decide for youself..Both were impressed how quiet they are for what they are..

Now somewhere along the line my fuel filter light was coming on here and there so it ended up being water...While at the mechanics on the hoist i decided to change over the tyres myself...Checking each one carefully considering its been through a lot of the High Country,spurs,river crossing's near 100 of them etc etc there was not one missing lug,no damage whatsoever..

Very impressed,hardly no wear at all,Now everytime i hit the dirt i deflate to about 25psi and serious mud to about 20psi. (well about 4 inches thick roughly, down hills,where motorbikes like to go up lol) .I find driving along dirt tracks @ 20psi the tyres feel to flat but 25 psi is spot on...

Maybe @ 10k it will be totally different lol

Not much wooo-hoooing outside the cab but heaps inside..

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul C (WA) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 23:22

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 23:22
Warfer
Good to see the MTZ's are going well.

I've had mine roughly 15000k's now and they are still in good nick.
Tyre pressure is about right for dirt tracks but I normally go down to 16psi for "serious" mud. (feels like a thing of the past at the moment).
Followed mates with other popular "big name" muddies in serious mud with them slipping in and out of ruts at 20psi, with the MTZ's holding a firm line. Probably more to do with pressure than brand but I will never know for sure.
Noticing a slight increase in noise but it's rare the rugrats aren't making a racket to notice. If they're quiet (LOL) I turn the stereo up a notch.

Good luck, and woo-hooing.

Cheers
Paul
AnswerID: 343639

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 05:10

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 05:10
Glad yours are doing ok too,Havnt heard any not to be honestly...

Cheers Buddy
FollowupID: 611475

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 07:51

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 07:51
Warfer

I think Roachie is running them on "the Titanic".
May pay to send him an email !

If they can handle everything Roachie dishes out to them, then they must be good.

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 343657

Reply By: timglobal - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 10:00

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 10:00
Hi there,

Another very pleased purchaser here. Only around 4k for me and no problems so far.

Highway pressure is 44 and I run 32 for off-road.

Reading how low you others go, I might try that next time, but haven't even nearly lost traction.

Out of curiosity, I was considering BFG's new KM2s as well, but they are only available in "exotic" sizes until next month.

Anyone got KM2s and moreover also able to compare them to MTZs? More likely to be driver ability and almost a moot point, but interested to hear some comparison.

Cheers,

Tim
AnswerID: 343679

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 14:08

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 14:08
purchased 4x 285/75/16 in february at Queanbeyan 4x4 show.
let them cure for a few months and fitted them prior to a cape york trip in July.
they have now been on the 80 series for 23,000 km .
Just measured the tread and still have 11mm. Minor cuts and very minor tears on corners of a few lugs but of no concern. no punctures to date.
normally run them at 32 lb on tar when loaded and towing dropping to 26 lb for bush work.
not as noisy as wrangler mtrs I replaced.
am just about to rotate front/ back. would expect at least 60,000km tyre life.
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 343717

Sponsored Links