Trak Shak wishbones, ect

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 07:37
ThreadID: 65008 Views:2544 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Yesterday I decided, that if we are doing the Canning, in July this year, then our Track Shak will have it's suspension looked at..

Hey, I was not surprised to find the wishbone bushes had been "flogged out", after all it's a 2001 model !, and has done a lot of work.

So I then tapped out the hard nylon bushes, and headed off to B.J. Bearings, to find a replacement. They had nylon bushes there but the wrong size, still left me with about 1/2 mm outside slop, to make up. I opted for brass bushes, as they had only a "pifteenth" difference.

I then got the centre punch and knocked a heap of pock marks right around the bushes. Presto, a firm fit. So with some locktight, and a soft hammer, put it all back together.

No more slop !...... Brilliant..

Question.....Does anyone out there know if brass will last as long as the original nylon type bushes ?

Or... Does it really matter, as there is basically minimal movement ?

Cheers

Bucky

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 08:28

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 08:28
I would imagine that the brass bushes should be greased. Putting them in dry without lube i'd imagine they would wear especially with a bit of dust and grit.
AnswerID: 343662

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 08:38

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 08:38
Hmmmmmmm....What happened to Peter2....got pensioned off, eh?....LOL
FollowupID: 611486

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 08:42

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 08:42
Ozhumvee

A valid point !.... was one of my concerns, so if they wear out by the time I get back, then they have done their job, and I will replace them. It's not that hard.

But..........I greased up the retaining bolt before I replaced it, so things can slip about. I am still looking for a hi tensile bolt with a grease nipple joint in the head. That seems to be an issue at the moment (need to do more looking)

Cheers
Bucky

FollowupID: 611487

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 08:59

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 08:59
Willem, decided to make all my id's on every forum the same.
This was one of two that weren't ozhumvee.
Bucky
If you find they flog out quickly or squeak try soaking them in a tin of heavy oil, warmed slightly it will penetrate the brass and self lube.
You can probably buy them already lubed as well.
FollowupID: 611488

Reply By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:21

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:21
G'day mate,

I use both at work, but the brass do need to be greased, i would replace them with the vesconite bushes, vesconite bushes are self lubricating and made for dirty, wet areas where sometimes greasing is difficult and little bit dearer than the normal nylon bush.

Put them in and then just forget about them, if you can't buy them to size, there is a manufacture here in Hallam. Have a look at there website. I replace most of our bushes with vesconite.

Hope this helps,

cheers,

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 343695

Follow Up By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:25

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:25
There website is VESCO PLASTICS in Hallam
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 611504

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 07:30

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 07:30
Lance
Cheers for that..

Bucky

ps... you are ok for 25th, if you still want !
FollowupID: 611660

Sponsored Links