need help to pick a new tent

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 17:31
ThreadID: 65023 Views:5488 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi all. I want to replace my colman family tent. Been fantastic , but only a 2 room and I want a 3 room dome tent.

Now , I want to point out I dont want a canvas tent as I already have my travel tent, this for caravan parks with kids and wife.

I saw the colman CV9 ? on line , looks good 3 rooms , my old coleman was great. But , I would like a tent with side panels in the front to have a top and side sheltered area for cooking outside . It looks to me like it just has a top cover , I looked to see if the offer some sort of side panels , but no info on line.

I was in K mart late last year and saw one of the tiny displays on the jackaroo tents and it seem to have what I wanted 3 rooms and from memory large top panels and optional side panels , I think it was a jackaroo 8 .

Now I know Jackaroo "had" a crap name , due to bad water proof issues . Is this still the case ? did did I get it wrong with the side shelter ? + no stock at the min in k mart and no info on line

can anyone shed some light . another option brand ?????

im in Melbourne

Regards Eric AKA rock crawler
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 20:55

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 20:55
Eric, I would take a wander around Rays they have a great range there. We just picked up a chaeapie on sale there , its quite large but not the size you are talking about I dont think.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 343776

Reply By: Curlynan - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 21:47

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 21:47
Hi Rock Crawler
We have a Coleman Tent we bought in 2004. Some of the the trips we have done camping in it lasted for 14weeks, 9weeks, 7weeks and 5 weeks & that's not counting the shorter times of use. The only problem we have had is one of the zips on the side entry door bacame faulty in 2006. Coleman true to their word about the 5 year warranty replaced the whole fly on the tent as we were wanting to use the tent within a very short amount of time after advising them of the broken zip. It was quicker for them to send us a new fly than to send off the fly to have the zip repaired. We didn't complain at that sort of service.
Never had any leaking problems and believe me we have had some pretty wet days in the tent. Withstands the cold and ice of the winter deserts and the extreme heat in the Top end.
I'd go to a camping retailer that stocks Colemans and get them to show you the CV9. We have the old style Overlander Skyview Deluxe which looks very similar to the current Timbertop 6CV.
Happy Camping.
AnswerID: 343788

Reply By: Mrbrush - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 22:01

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 22:01
I have a Sportiva OZtrail Villa, don`t know where you find OZtrail stuff in Melbourne.
It is a T shaped Dome with 3 rooms in a row plus a fourth kitchenette area which is the Entry and also covered.
Great tent but it takes us around 30 mins to set it up properly.
It is rated as a 12 person tent but we used it for just three, It`s good to have plenty of room.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Oztrail-Villa-12-Person-4-Room-Family-Tent_W0QQitemZ290288542312QQihZ019QQcategoryZ123351QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AnswerID: 343793

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 22:30

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 22:30
looks like a nice tent. is the oz trail a good brand ?

can the front part's fly screens be opened on the sides ? I assume the front side flaps open with poles to make a ouside shadded area ??

does anyone know where there sold or displaid in melbourne ??
FollowupID: 611619

Follow Up By: Mrbrush - Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 22:59

Sunday, Jan 11, 2009 at 22:59
Mate, it`s probably made in China like everything else is and including top brand names.
I have used it heaps and love it.
The front side sections are pegged down and you only open the front flyscreen flaps. The only problem I had was when it rained it would come inside the front room screens because the fly does`nt cover it completely. So I would cover it with a tarp.
But guess what the new model of these has a complete fly that covers that room. Just my luck hey.

But they are a fair size tent and I would`nt set mine up for less than 3 nights. I have a smaller one for short camps.

FollowupID: 611633

Reply By: Mad Cowz (VIC) - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 08:57

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 08:57
Does Mrs. "I don't Do Camping" go to caravan parks?

Happy new year

Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 343821

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:13

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:13
Yes, Happy New Year from us too.
FollowupID: 611673

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:17

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:17
yes , BUT. Must have .. Power for hair drier , her own toilet, I must cook all meals and clean all dishes and a minimum of 5 massages after to help her get over her ordeal lol .
FollowupID: 611687

Reply By: Von Helga - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:02

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:02
Rockcrawler,
Had you condsidered using both of your tents and build a lean to from poly tarps and poles for the times you are in a CP.
Don't know how many children you have or thier ages but I had the same problem and found that during bad weather the fact that the kids can retreat to their tent was great and when you need to leave the camp just zip up thier tent and walk away.
We used our two room tent for our bedroom and a meals/prep area for the family.
Our poly tarp went over our dome tent and out from the side for about four metres and with the miriad of spreader bars and the like available today you can make a very substantial set up that stands up well to the weather. A second configuration of the poly tarp can be used for use with your canvas tent when you use it by itself.
AnswerID: 343856

Sponsored Links