Orbost to Mckillops Bridge

Submitted: Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 22:27
ThreadID: 65071 Views:3179 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I am looking for some local knowlege on this road. I have been asked to take a 10mt long rigid truck with a all up height of 4.6mt up to Mckillops Bridge via Bonang.
Thanks Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 08:25

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 08:25
I am not a local but drove that route with a 4x4 and trailer at the beginning of 2008.

I'd say you would be pushing your luck as some of the corners are extremely tight and the track is quite narrow in places. Should you meet anyone along the route you are both going to be in trouble.

Best thing is to try and come in from the west which, as I recal,l is not so narrow. Best to check with the local council to see if there are restrictions placed on large vehicles using that track.

Other than that advice I would suggest you take out life insurance if you are going to do that route.

Cheers
AnswerID: 344043

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:41

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:41
I'll support Willem here.
We came via the bridge from the west in September '08.
Not a good plan in your vehicle IMHO.
A lot of the road in from the west is too narrow for 2 normal 4x4s to pass each other, let alone a 10m truck. I would have said that the eastern approach might have been better, but still very tight.

If this is absolutely necessary, I suggest that you will need to close the road to 2 way traffic in advance.

We were 3.1m high (x2.2) and that was OK. Can't vouch for 4.6m though, that is a LOT diifferent. We saw no one coing in the other direction, and I was most grateful for that.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 344054

Reply By: png62 - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:31

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:31
Travelled through there in November 2008 from Delegate to Orbost.
I can't remeber if the road was actually closed to large vehicles or it was an advisory notice but the pucker factor would take years off your life in a vehicle of that size. Also as stated, if you met anyone travelling in the opposite direction, you would be extremely unpopular. There are only a few spots on the road where two vehicles could pass each other and one of them would have to reverse quite a distance. Going in from Bonang would be ok though as long as you didn't have to go too far past the bridge itself. The drop-offs from the road sides are spectacular and the scenery is great. Negotiate a large $$$ bonus for surviving before you accept.
AnswerID: 344076

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:34

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:34
G'day Chris, I drove that route 12 months ago from Jindabyne to Bombala via the bridge. I'd have to agree with other responses,
while it may be doable, I think your height of 4.6 M would be the
biggest problem. Road very narrow & winding with plenty of
overhanging trees. I think it unwise unless you drive it first to check.......oldbaz.
AnswerID: 344077

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 12:29

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 12:29
hi there
what side of the bridge do you have to be on .
as with others i agree west is best as between bonang through tubbet and on to there is not much room even to pass in cars.
up through gilampihity
try bendoc dse
cheers reggy2
AnswerID: 344085

Reply By: casper - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:12

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 22:12
Thanks everyone!
I am a transport contractor, as such i am obligated (to a point..) to do this job. I am waiting on a Vic Roads permit and today spoke to Orbost Police who were very helpful and know the "drop off" property. It is right on the Snowy River. I cannot come down from Wulgulmerang, way too steep....
The copper told me he has been up there in a truck and dog so i am confident that a steady approach will be the order of the day.
I will do more homework though.
Chris
AnswerID: 344201

Sponsored Links