Some info on a Good travel book

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 01:20
ThreadID: 65072 Views:2468 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I was given a gift voucher by my girlfriend for up to $60 as part of xmas pres from Angus Roberson...Have my eye on Explore Australia 2009 - Hard Cover

Any other suggestions,Does not have to be Hardcover,Dvd etc etc ,Will pay more if i have to...

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:49

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:49
Warfer, my personal choice for a 'travel book' is not necessarily a 'places' book.

You can do all sorts of research on areas you would like to travel on this site and many others.

I would go for a good quality bird ID book or plants ID book or something along those lines. Even a good first aid book.

These types of books have a place in my car all the time, and, for me, add a lot of interest to the trip.

You can print out lots of notes off the net about various attractions and camping sites etc..., but it's hard to broaden your knowledge of the environment or ecology without some form of pictures or drawings sometimes.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 344058

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:57

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:57
Not exactly a travel book, unless you use it to avoid some places. But this book will have you looking over your shoulder at every noise in the bush.

Angus & Robertson will have to order it for you, that's how I got mine.

Image Could Not Be Found
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 344060

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:22

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:22
I didn't know Hairs had a book written about him LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611942

Reply By: docz - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 15:42

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 15:42
The road to mount Buggery . By Mark Whittaker & Amy Willesse. Very good read.
AnswerID: 344110

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 17:03

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 17:03
As already mentioned, if you are interested in nature - small ID books. Without needing a road train to take the books we have at home, i travel with a few mini books from the series "A Photographic Guide to xxxxx of Australia, by Ronald Strahan, The Australian Museum. There may be other similar series. Wanting a more comprehensive book to ID on reptiles, i chose A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia by Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan. Of all i looked at, it had the best info for identifying (particularly the snake which may be about to bite you).

If you are interested in a particular outback area, get books about the pioneers of that area to read before you go and again when you get there.

Otherwise it is up to you - probably too many choices and you'll want a few birthdays thrown in as well.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 344127

Reply By: leeb1973 - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 17:14

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2009 at 17:14
We are currently travelling around Oz & I personally would not be without "Explore Australia by Caravan & Motorhome" and the "Camps 4" books. I have found both these books very helpful during our travels so far.

Leanne
AnswerID: 344129

Sponsored Links