Oil Catch Can from SC

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 14:59
ThreadID: 65115 Views:7894 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
This morning I bought a catch can from SC to put on my ZD30.

Now I'm wondering if it is suitable. Has anybody used this type before ?

Image Could Not Be Found

It appears it may be for petrol engines. I suspect the right angle elbows are for vacuum lines. There is a magnetic drain plug on the bottom. Maybe I could just plug off these holes and just use the two on top.

Guess I'll pull it apart and look to see what is inside to do the job or not.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 15:52

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 15:52
AFAIK, you have - breather in, breather out and the two elbowed fittings should face each other with clear hose in them to see the oil level.
AnswerID: 344283

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 17:06

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 17:06
Hi Nick, thanks for reply.

Duh!! The penny drops. Seems so obvious now. No instructions inside the package.

Had a look inside the can .... absolutely nothing but fresh air.

So what stops the oil laden fumes from going straight out the outlet ?

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612233

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 17:36

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 17:36
It should be plumbed in the line between the rocker cover and the side of the air intake (usually between the filter element and intake manifold).
The two little connectors on the side face each other with a clear tube between them to give you a level indication. somebody muct have knicked the tube.
The fumes slow down as they enter the can and condense dropping most of the oil before continuing on to the intake side of the engine.
FollowupID: 612237

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:02

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:02
Hi Peter

Nobody nicked the tube. I was just too dumb to work out what it was for ;-)

Has anybody any experience with this can on a ZD30?

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612245

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 17:52

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 17:52
Mann-Hummel do an oil separator that is becoming popular with Jeep and Land Rover owners.
You can get them from Sydney Filters.
It is called a "Provent " and automatically separates the oil from teh vapour and returns it to the sump.
Search Provent on AULRO or Google Provent.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 344300

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:00

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:00
Hi Philip

Thanks for reply. I googled and came up with this link click here

It looks very nice. I'll investigate further and report back.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612243

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:28

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:28
After a bit of googling I post this (edited) for the edification of anybody interested in the subject ....

[quote]
Crankcase ventilation is necessary because with every stroke of the engine, combustion gases find their way between the piston rings and bushings into the crankcase. When the engine is supercharged air can also reach the crankcase via the oil return pipe of the turbocharger. If there is no ventilation to remove these so-called blow-by gases, the pressure in the crankcase increases. For environmental reasons the regulations for car engines in the majority of countries stipulate that the crankcase ventilation must not enter the atmosphere. Therefore in car engines the blow-by gas is returned via the so-called closed crankcase ventilation back into the intake system of the engine and combusted. [snip]

A closed crankcase ventilation system means that the blow-by Gas is not directed into the atmosphere, but is instead directed back to the intake air of the engine. However, the blow-by gas must be cleaned before it returns to the intake system in order to protect sensitive engine parts such as the turbocharger from contamination. The closed crankcase ventilation system lowers the total level of emissions of the engine. A positive side-effect is the lower oil consumption.
[unquote]

This is what it looks like ....

Image Could Not Be Found

Have sent email to Sydney Filters requesting suitability for ZD30 and will report back with price and suitability for ZD30.

I'm impressed !!

Malcolm

living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612248

Follow Up By: furph - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 20:44

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 20:44
And what is more, if your engine has that much piston blowby and considerable oil is blowing out with it the rings are shot.
Take the breather pipe off, rev the engine and if you can see a blue fume coming out there will be oil mixed with it.
At idle, if the fumes have an unequal pulse there is a crook cylinder there.
All this has to go back into the cylinders through the inlet valves.
Add the residue gunk from the EGR system and there is a hell of a mess in the inlet plenum.
Talk about clean (dirty) diesels?
furph (who has a 300TDi Disco, and knows something about it)
FollowupID: 612279

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 23:18

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 23:18
Finished up returning the Catch Can to SC and bought the ProVent 200 from Active Air Spares in Brisbane.

Cost just under $200 with GST and Express Freight.

It has pressurised vents on top and side (under caps) and I'm just wondering what sort of effect this would have going through a deep water crossing - not that I will be doing that - I'll still make sure I mount mine high up on the firewall (at this stage).

There is an oil drain on the bottom which gets plumbed back to the sump. I think I'll put some clear PVC tube and a tap on it so I can see and measure how much blowby there actually is.

Malcolm

living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612671

Sponsored Links