4WD Tracks in Yuraygir NP

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 15:13
ThreadID: 65117 Views:7723 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy folks.

Im off with the family to Yuraygir NP in Feb to camp at Pebbly Beach. Plan is to catch a few Waves and maybe a fish or ten. Question is, are there any good 4WD drives that you are permitted to take in the NP?

Thanks

Kelvin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 16:29

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 16:29
There are 4WD tracks in there but not sure if they are still open.

Yuraygir

This site only mentions sealed Rds.

AnswerID: 344289

Reply By: furph - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:35

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:35
Kelvin.
Mate, sadly you are about 35 years too late!
The whole stretch of coast, south of Port Maquarie to Kingscliff was originally opened up by the mineral sand miners.
Tracks went everywhere, great fishing spots available all along courtesy of the miners.
All those (according to NPWS, natural lagoons) waterholes behind the dunes in so many places are remnant dredge holes.
We used to chase tailer all the way up from Minnie to Sandon courtesy of the miners tracks. And all the way down to Plommer.
Camp in behind the dunes, sink a perforated rubbish bin down into the sand and hey presto - fresh drinking water!
The whole bluddy coast is locked up now.
Good luck for where ever you can get in, they havent stuffed the beaches yet (wrong time of year for the best fishing though).
furph
AnswerID: 344309

Follow Up By: Long stroke - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 20:37

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 20:37
There are afew nice mudhole drives before you get to the beach but the best driving is just south at woolgoolga (my back yard)
Some very nice hills around here!!
The fishing at pebbly is good if there arn't to many people there, the jew are on the bight so you might have a bit if luck there!

CHEERS TIM.
FollowupID: 612277

Reply By: Member - Hairs & Fysh (North - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 06:17

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 06:17
Hi Kelvin,
Between Minnie Waters and Brooms Head there are some good tracks. I wouldn't venture down into the low country by yourself, there are some pretty big holes down there and no mobile reception. State Forest has just completed road works all through the Condole State Forest just recently, so most of the tracks in the higher country are good. Mark G and myself just recently spent a good day driving through there.Google maps show most of the main tracks between Wooli/Minnie Waters through to Brooms Head.

AnswerID: 344363

Reply By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 13:52

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 13:52
I'm pretty sure that access to Pebbly has been closed by National Parks :-(
AnswerID: 345206

Sponsored Links