Grog Restrictions Part 2

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 16:51
ThreadID: 65120 Views:2728 Replies:5 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Gday,
Follow up from ThreadID: 65027
After not being to get any info ( or replies ) out of the appropriate people regarding the laws I contected the Mayor of Alice Springs ( the real one KIM!!!!) and sent him the same letter.
I got a relpy from him with in half an hour and a letter from Licensing, Regulation and Alcohol Strategy
Department of Justice, half an hour after that.

Here is the reply

G'day Sean,

Damien Ryan has forwarded your email to me for a response.

Do all the National parks on the way to Glen Helen from Alice Springs come under the "Prescribed areas laws"?

No. If, and/or when, they are handed back to their traditional owners under the Aboriginal Land Rights (NT) Act, then they will be prescribed. This website is a useful tool. http://facs.gov.au/nter/legis_areas_natparks.htm

If a park isnt listed as a "prescribed area on the web site but is Aboriginal owned, does it then fall under the "Prescribed areas laws" as all aboriginal land does?

This is a little difficult to answer, however all land that is either freehold land held by a Land Trust under the Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976 , other Aboriginal communities described as Northern Territory Community Living Areas, Aboriginal living areas described as ‘town camps’, and other areas declared by the Minister for Families, Housing, Community Services & Indigenous Affairs, is prescribed. In short, if it is not listed and is not sign posted, I would say it is not prescribed.

If the parks I mentioned are not in the "Prescribed area" does this mean I can transport alcohol in my vehicle to our campsite, as I would technically be traveling to a destination through the "Prescribed area"?

Yes. Section 86 of the Liquor Act allows you to transport unopened containers of alcohol through a prescribed area, for the purpose of taking it to a destination outside the prescribed area.

Are Birthday Waterhole. Hugh George and Reedy waterhole classed as "Prescribed areas"

Sorry Sean, I'm reasonably new to the NT and am not 100% sure where these places are. Can you please give me a bit more information and I will sort it out for you.

Scenario 1. If a tourist was to spend the week travelling the Western Macs,staying a night at each campsite and wanted to move from one campsite to another ( down the road) with an opened bottle of wine or brandy or something in the fridge,would they be breaking the law and be liable for a fine and all other unopened alcohol confiscated?

If it involves bringing an opened container into a prescribed area, yes. They also risk having their vehicle seized.

Sean, I hope this has answered your questions satisfactorily. If you could provide a little more information on the locations of the waterholes, I'm sure I'll be able to answer your queries.

So....In short you are allowed to take unopened grog into the Western Macs if you can prove you are going into one of the National Park campgrounds. Just dont leave with anything opened.
Also keep an eye on weather or not the park has been handed back to aborigial ownership yet before going.

Cheers
Hairy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 17:38

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 17:38
Hairy,
Thanks for that info asI will be able to use it later in the year. (not that I would ever have a cool drink or 3)
AnswerID: 344295

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 20:40

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 20:40
No worries...
Just check for updates before you go.
Quite a few parks are likely to be handed back to aboriginal people which could change things.

Cheers
FollowupID: 612278

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 17:44

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 17:44
Thanks Hairy

But that still does not answer the all important one.

What is the regulation concerning main arterial roads like Stuart Hwy, Tanami Road, Plenty and Sandover Highways, Lasseters Hwy and so on......you have answered the West and East Macs which in essence do not really go anywhere.

The way I see it is to carry canned BEER and canned PREMIX and you should be OK?????

Its gonna be a dry trip!!!!

Cheers

AnswerID: 344296

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 17:58

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 17:58
Gday Willem,
The same rules apply.
I havent seen any other roads other than Glen Helen /Hermansburg roads where the road itself comes under the prescribed area laws...Its usually the land not the road.
Give me an example and Ill let you know....

The prescribed areas are different to dry towns rules?

Dry?...Naaa just have to finish the bottle Hahahahaha

Cheers
FollowupID: 612242

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:27

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:27
Examples

Stuart Hwy through Ti Tree

Tanami Road through Yuendumu

Sandover Hwy through Angarapa(Utopia)

etc

Cheers

FollowupID: 612247

Follow Up By: ob - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:30

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 18:30
G'day gents

Interesting info (thanks Hairy for bringing it to our attention)
Just a nitpicking thought, what if the container is opened but empty???

Cheers ob
FollowupID: 612249

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 19:12

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 19:12
Gday Willem,
Same rules....unopened and prove your travelling to a non prescribed are. eg Alice, Qld.

Gday ob,
Its not alcohol?....Just a bottle and a sticker.

Cheers
FollowupID: 612260

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 19:47

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 19:47
But that's almost as bad as Prohibition, in a sense

But I wonder how many Roadblocks are done along the Highways. Maybe there is some common sense applied somewhere?

Cheers
FollowupID: 612268

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 20:12

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 20:12
Prohibition?.....Yeah...I think thats where we're heading.

I know of a LOT of people who have been stopped...Daytime, nightime, weekdays, weekends, locals ( black and white) contractors and tourist.
We have a lot of interstate coppers now, so they're not just stopping those who they think are running grog....it can be anyone anytime.

I think like anything...it will come down to attitude on how hard they throw the law at you, but after what I was told today about haveing your vehicle confiscated......Its a fair risk to hope the copper got luck last night or not.

Cheers
FollowupID: 612274

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 09:59

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 09:59
do they check the van's tank ;)
FollowupID: 612346

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 21:20

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 21:20
What abiut the situation of grog at Rabbit Flat?
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 612464

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 22:31

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 22:31
Mary W NW VIC,

What do the signs say...I havent been out that way for years....
But the same rules for the same signs.

Cheers
FollowupID: 612475

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 19:21

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 19:21
thanks for info Hairy

Re: "In short you are allowed to take unopened grog into the Western Macs if you can prove you are going into one of the National Park campgrounds",

When we were up there last July I felt we couldnt prove anything, cos we were just heading west out of Alice - as usual stop if it looks nice etc. We weren't sure where we would end up. So I felt law a bit unhelpful, and like Willem we ended up do'in it dry.

cheers
AnswerID: 344315

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 19:33

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 19:33
Yeah mate, I know what your saying.....

Just have a non prescribed are in mind in case you get stopped, dont carry anything opened and dont crack a bottle of 100 year old scotch unless you plan on drinking the bottle before you move out of that area. LOL

You want to try living here....no more going out for a night camping and throwing in that half bottle of bourbon in the cupboard......its buy a new bottle and drink it all, take that super expensive premixed snot, those little bottles like you get on the planes and pay the equivilent of $140 a bottle or dont drink.

Cheers
FollowupID: 612266

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 21:27

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2009 at 21:27
Ok
Here is a scenario,a Grey No Mad couple are on the road full time,
and travelling in those areas mentioned above, they have a caravan,
and they make there own Home Brew, and as you know you have to
keep a bit of stock so you can let it mature ect, also they have the
ingredients to make more brew when required, what is the law
with this set up. ?

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 344341

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 00:54

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 00:54
Daza

some how I don't think so. a good person like your self, no threat to society. I don't think the cops or who ever are going to worry.

It's only for the law breakers, people who don't give a toss,

Unless you're running moonshine in that van you should be OK..

Cheers

Richard :-)
FollowupID: 612316

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 18:24

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 18:24
Gday Daza,
You would want to check , but I think the law also says if your carrying more than 1350ml of pure alcohol its classed as trafficing!
Like Richard said...they probably wouldnt bother you...but you are risking your vehicle, $1100 first offence and loss of your grog on the mood of a cop!
Choice is your.

Cheers
FollowupID: 612424

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 00:39

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 00:39
Hairy, looks like you have spent quite a bit of time and effort to unravel the mysteries of this piece of legislation. Has anyone explained what the object of all this is? What are the esteemed lawmakers trying to achieve? If they are trying to prevent grog being taken into certain areas, why ban opened containers only?

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 344359

Follow Up By: nickoff - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:01

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:01
because "everything" that travels in the Territory must go through a "prescribed area" somewhere. All beer, spirits.etc, are trucked into the Territory from interstate, as unopened items.
FollowupID: 612392

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 18:27

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 18:27
pop2jocem
We all know why, and no it doesnt work.
As for why unopened.....I asked the same question....surely most grog that is getting sold would be unopened....the reply was yeah...stupid isnt it!

Cheers
FollowupID: 612425

Sponsored Links