Power inside the Camper Tent unit ..

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 16:23
ThreadID: 65145 Views:3403 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am really new to C/T life and I couldn't find the answer in search so --

What's the best way of getting power inside the tent part of a Camper ? Mine is not wired at all .

Mine is completely sealed ( my old tent had a small panel and rainflap on one wall where you could run a lead through ) The camper doesn't .. Is this the way to go ? Cut a hole stitch it and then sew a rainflap over it ? Let in all the creepies ?

At the moment I have a small box with 3 X 7AH batteries in it which comes into the tent and lights are then hooked up with cig lighter plugs and wiring - I have an 85aH AGM in the back of the Jeep which can be used IF I can get a cable into the Camper Tent ...

Any suggestions or brief descriptions of your setup would help

Cheers

Steve ..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DesF - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 16:35

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 16:35
Hi, I had a Campermatic trailer, 10" wheel model about 89 , with out any thing in it except the bed etc.. and I fitted a c/van power inlet on the r/h side and then put a triple power plug ( with switches) inside ( under the material skirts ) and ran the cable across under the floor and put a power outlet on the l/h side to be used under the annex. worked a treat.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 344465

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:09

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:09
Steve, why not fit a deep cycle battery to the drawbar of the c/t wired to charge thru the coupling plug on the tug, from the batt., you can then run a fused line thru to the inside of the c/t to a multi plug in a handy spot,eg., near the bed, then you can run as many 12v outlets as you need from there,where the line goes thru the c/t use a grommet or silocone to keep the bugs out. Hope this helps,
Keith C.
AnswerID: 344470

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:25

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:25
Could also use one of those rechargable LED lights. Charge it up from a 240V supply somewhere (if in CP) or from an inverter in the vehicle. The LED light will burn all night.

Alan
AnswerID: 344473

Reply By: Mrbrush - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:42

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 17:42
I drilled a hole in one corner of the bed base and placed a lighter socket in it. Then the wires can run underneath the bed base to the hinged side of the base and then off to your battery,where as mine is in the front mount toolbox. You might have to push the mattress aside a little to access it.
Great for pumping up airbeds inside tent or lights etc.
AnswerID: 344475

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 18:04

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 18:04
I did the same thing but used a tripple cigarette socket.
FollowupID: 612421

Reply By: Mark Taylor - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 20:59

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 20:59
Hi there...

My solution was this:

I have a camper top on a 6x4 box trailer.

I have a 100 amp hour REMCO gel battery mounted inside the front end of the trailer. (Note, not a flooded cell so that there will be no leaks or corrosion).

In the Left Hand side of the trailer near the battery I have 2 Hella type sockets and a voltmeter that exit through the trailer body.

When the tent is up.. the canvas panel that comes down off the bed to the floor and covers up the side of the trailer has a vinyl window that can be opened (velcro on 3 sides) to allow me to run my power into the tent section. One lead is for the Waeco and I have another that has a 4 cig lighter outlet sockets for low draw LED lighting.

With the vinyl window I can check the voltmeter and the velcro seals around the wires keeping all the varmits out.

I hope I have explained this in an easy manner??

Cheers

Mark T
AnswerID: 344505

Reply By: Outbackogre - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 21:16

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 21:16
In the CT I had I deliverately chose not to have a battery on board - too much mucking around with cables and charging. I bought some incredibly cheap led head lights and a decent portable flouro (with D cells). The led lights have a magnet on the back and will hold to any metal surface (tent pole, etc). It's a pretty cheap but effective setup. Cheers, Rob.
AnswerID: 344506

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 09:44

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 09:44
If you are looking for the simplest light solution...buy a Battery Booster pack & plug direct into it. The one I use will last a week with 2 small flouros used several hours a night. You can charge it while travelling through a cig plug. Ideal for running a 12v shower
away from vehicle as well. If you want the aux battery option plenty of good advice above, but simplicity is the joy of camping.
cheers...oldbaz.
AnswerID: 344573

Reply By: Mandrake - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:18

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:18
Thanks to all who supplied info - Much appreciated .. Some items I cannot do as the type of trailer I have will not allow - My current setup is a Battery Box and cables to LED lights etc -

As I am going on the road in August to Mungo - Broken Hill - Alice Springs - Uluru - Tennant Creek - Mt Isa - Winton - St George (gathering ) and back to Melbourne I should get some ideas and see how the system works ( or doesn't ) on the way - Hopefully will get to see some of you at St George and actually see how things are installed etc...

Happy Trails

Steve
AnswerID: 344578

Sponsored Links