Wonnangatta Valley & Camper Trailers

Which is the easiest way into/out of Wonnangatta Valley (Vic High Country) when towing a camper trailier?

Cheers,
Paul.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 22:16

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 22:16
Myrtleford to Abbeyard, up East Buffalo road then East Riley road to the Wonnangatta track. This route is suitable for camper trailers even in the wet unlike all other options.
Cheers Craig...............
AnswerID: 344514

Follow Up By: madcow - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 07:43

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 07:43
Came up that way ecept we too Harry shepherds track for something different. Easiest way mentioned above, Virtually a 2 wheel drive raod expect for a couple of spots. The grass is getting long in there and the river still has a good flow.
FollowupID: 612499

Follow Up By: Mr Pointyhead - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 08:19

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 08:19
I saw a normal 2wd ambulance at the northern end of the Wonnangatta valley that had come in that way ....

-

FollowupID: 612506

Reply By: Member - Paul H (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 22:26

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 22:26
Holy crap...that was a quick reply.

Thanks heaps Craig.
AnswerID: 344515

Reply By: Member - Paul H (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 22:36

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 22:36
Craig is there anyway to come in from the South. I'm coming from Traralgon so Myrtleford is obviously the long way round.
AnswerID: 344518

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 22:59

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 22:59
From the south the next easiest way in is via Licola to Arbuckle Junction, Snowy Range Road to Howit hut then down Zeka spur track. This is mostly logging roads, a bit rough towards the end with 2 low range sections of down hill that can get a bit rocky & slippery at times. I'd avoid this route with trailers in the wet but if experienced at towing in the High Country, is an option.
The other 3 tracks in are Hart Spur, Wombat Spur & Herne Spur, all particularly steep hills with large erosion control ditches that will bottom out heavily on the draw bar. These can be dangerous in the wet & are not recomended for trailers although some my choose to differ. Going out those ways I've seen large high powered cars struggle for traction.
Another option when coming accross from Hotham or Dargo is to cut over on the Twins Jeep track past Mt Murray, Selwyn Logging road, Tea tree range then Selwyn track. This comes out at the East Riley track. (The easy way in) This route accross is very scenic taking half a day on easy intermediate 4x4 tracks & logging roads.
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 612479

Follow Up By: DarrynJ - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 08:58

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 08:58
I heard there was a 4X4 with a camper stuck on Hearne Spur on Wednesday. Exactly how or why it was stuck I don't know but a recovery by the Waterford Service Station (caravan park) was being organised, at a cost of more than $2000.00. I'm with Crackles, Zeka Spur is ok for campers and there were a few going up and down over the Melbourne Cup weekend.

Cheers Darryn
FollowupID: 612520

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 19:08

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 19:08
Towing trailers on steep hills like Herne spur can be pretty dangerous. A well prepared car will do it but why when there are safer options available? Have seen three 4by's now that have gone over the side on that track including the one pictured below & another that literally blew the cogs out the back of the diff housing (not towing). Unfortunately many don't realize how close to not making it they are & how much stress is on a car towing an extra 1 tonne up a 25 degree slope.
Cheers Craig............

FollowupID: 612613

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 09:18

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 09:18
Paul,

Crackles has given you the info you need. We were in there over the Christmas break. Two of us were towing Ultimates. We went in via Zeka Spur and out Wombat Range track to Eaglevale. Had no trouble.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 344569

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 18:13

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 18:13
We have towed out via Wombat in the dry too but many lesser vehicles without lockers or good tyres could struggle to resart on the steepest part of the hill if they needed to stop, particually in the wet. When recommending the routes to people not familiar with the area I allow for all conditions. The other problem is at the top part of the main climb, the track is only one & a half cars wide with little option to pass for nearly 500 metres. It would be an interesting discussion if 2 cars towing trailers met there & who was going to back up or down :-))
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 612603

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 22:00

Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 22:00
I've towed in and out via Eaglevale in the dry. If you were in there after a morning of rain I would prob chicken out and go out via Myrtleford lol We had a localised storm the other morning and it looked like it was just in the valley where I lived. Now if this was in Wonnangatta it would of been 10mm in a few hours!

Leroy
FollowupID: 613124

Reply By: Member - Rodney B- Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 15:05

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 15:05
Agree with Peter McG.
We took our camper down Zeka and out Wombat and Cynthia Spur. Bit steep up Wombat when I had to stop at one of the Wooptydoos but it was my fault for not being in 1st Low (wouldn't pull it in low 2nd) so can't blame the car or track. I thought Cynthia would have been too steep with a CT to go in that way but as we were going down it wasn't a problem.

Zeka has a couple of nasty bends but the Tojo went around without backing up, Whereas my mate in the Nissan backed up on a few.

Cheers Rod
AnswerID: 344634

Sponsored Links