My Verdict on Oztent vs Blackwolf Turbo

Submitted: Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 21:04
ThreadID: 65191 Views:25445 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I own both an Oztent RV1 and a Blackwolf Turbo 270. I'm a regular weekend camper so the following comments should be thought of in that context. I've been using both fairly regularly since I usually go away alone or with my dog.

First up, both of these are fine tents. I realise tent preferences can be specific to your individual circumstances so any comments I make here are only my opinion, and no I do not have any affiliation with either company.

Overall, if I were choosing beteen an Oztent and BW, my verdict would overwhelmingly come down on the side of the BW. Here's why:

1. Set-up/Pack-Up Time

It's true the Oztent is faster. But only marginally. Just like the Oztent, I find the BW only needs a fly in inclement weather. In packing-up time, the Oztent is also faster. But we're talking margins of seconds here. Both are essentially 'speed' tents. And remember, with every BW you get a fly included. No Oztent includes a fly and costs quite a bit extra.

2. Space

Here the BW wins hands down. I am 6'3" and cannot stand up in any Oztent, not even the RV-5, without hitting the roof. All Oztents have a rear sloping side that takes out a lot of living space in the tent. Sometimes my RV-1 feels more like a swag than a tent. In height, width and length, the BW wins easily. The only spatial advantage the Oztent has is in its great awning.

3. Storage

Again the BW wins here. Its shorter, easier to carry and my Turbo Lite 270 feels much lighter than my RV1 (and the Turbo has almost twice as much space). Any RV2 model (2 metres long) or larger generally requires a roof rack. Not so for any BW tents which will fit inside nearly all vehicles.

4. Quality of Materials

The Oztent is superb, no two ways about it. There is nothing I can fault on any of the materials. With the BW, I have the Lite version, not full canvas. Again I cannot fault it and like with my BW I've found it can stand up to any harsh weather conditions.

5. Pricing.

Well, this is what it all comes down to. I paid $399.00 for my Turbo Lite 270 at BCF. That includes a fly and 240cm by 270cm by 200cm high worth of space.

The Oztent RV-1 cost me over $749.00 (full RRP is actually $849.00!!) for 1.5m x 2.15m x 1.45m of space and a slightly faster set-up time and no fly included. The price is more than double the BW.

Overall and genreally speaking, the price differential and extra space means BW is the ideal tent for me and you literally get more tent for your bucks. The only advantage Oztent has is slightly faster pack-up and set-up time. But this is a matter of seconds and I cannot see this being worth hundreds of extra dollars.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mylestom - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 21:41

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 21:41
Agree have been looking around and tried and checked out some of the mates. Ordered and awaiting delivery of Turbo Lite 300 plus. Price $820, which is reasonable for its size.

Regards

Trev
AnswerID: 344702

Reply By: uneekwahn - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 21:58

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 21:58
thank you very much for the review. I currently have an arb roof top tent which we love but have thought it would be nice to buy a quick setup tent for if we want to set a permanent site up for a few days to leave and go and 4wd. the roof top tent is a bit of a hindrance in these circumstances :)

cheers,

jason.
AnswerID: 344709

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 22:05

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 22:05
Another one who agrees.

I have a mate who had the Oztent and I found the space issue to be the deciding factor, closely followed by the storage issue. I can stand up comfortably in most areas of the tent to get changed into my Superman jarmies at night and there is more usable space, for those times when you may want to put a couple of chairs inside and sit out some bad weather etc.

I have the Turbo 300 in full canvas (no lite versions when I bought mine) and whilst it is heavy and awkward, it fits neatly behind the drivers/passenger seats. My kid (2yo) and another due March will be happy with the tent there for a few years to rest their feet on. I figure when they get old enough to be annoyed by this I will then have to come up with a different option.

Happy camper.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 344711

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 22:08

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 22:08
Ps. I keep reading all the pith about how quickly tents set up etc. To me it is inconsequential as it's the rest of the junk that takes the time....tables, chairs, clothes, sleeping gear, stove etc.. Unless the tent is a ridiculous pile of complicated poles, pegs and tangled nylon, it won't make that much difference to how quickly you get your first beer for the day down your gob! Anyway, enjoy one whilst setting things up!

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 612657

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 22:58

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 22:58
"I keep reading all the pith about how quickly tents set up etc. To me it is inconsequential ....."
I somewhat dissagree with that Mark. If each individual piece of gear including the tent is lightweight & quick to setup, then the overall time before the 1st beer is cracked can be reduced quite substantially. Ironically on a recent trip to the Flinders it was tent brigade that were more often completely set up in under 5 minutes, well before the camper trailers that took anywhere up to 40 minutes. Only the Trayon was any quicker.
Alternatively if they used dome tents, awkward tarps, air beds, gas lights etc it would be a one hour event to set up everything.
No substitute for good gear & a clever storage system to make 4x4 touring easy.
Cheers Craig...............
FollowupID: 612668

Follow Up By: Member - Robert M (QLD) - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 23:33

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 23:33
Well the first beer is usually started when I stop for the night and the Polaris Awning is up and RV-2 under the edge of Awning is up and the first beer is almost finnished and thats about 10 to 12 minutes with table and chair out thinking about dinner, Solo traveller works most times
Rob Mac
FollowupID: 612672

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:36

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:36
Craig,

Yep, I agree, but the real point of what I was saying was the difference between a tent that takes 2 minutes and one that takes 3 minutes is neither here nor there. The bulk of the time taken to set up at camp is the other stuff.

As with most gear, the easier and lighter it is the better, but sometimes you have to balance this all off with durability as often the lightest of equipment is less durable. AS an example I have 2 tables: one of the aluminium roll-up versions (very light) and one of the fold up versions with steel legs and solid top. The heavier one is far quicker to set up and is much better when loaded and for doing anything on. It's all a balance.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 612684

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:57

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:57
Mark E,
Please post picture of you in Superman jimmy jams.
Willie.
FollowupID: 612686

Follow Up By: Wisey - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 16:00

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 16:00
do you want to comapre your jj's Willie, to see if yours are really different
FollowupID: 612745

Reply By: Member - Porl - Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 23:20

Friday, Jan 16, 2009 at 23:20
Cheers and a six pack to GH1967 ( by which incidentally I should be POK1966). Great post. Of course it leaves enough breadth for people under 6ft 3" to find reasons for the Oz tent as it is not trashed, whilst plugging for exact reasons the BW, great stuff, more of it makes a better forum.
AnswerID: 344716

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 09:09

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 09:09
( by which incidentally I should be POK1966).

I should be POK1961
FollowupID: 612687

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 09:05

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 09:05
Mr / Mrs gh1967,

Thanks for the informative post. Which ute did you end up buying and is your dog happy with your decision ?
Willie
AnswerID: 344729

Follow Up By: gh1967 - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 09:22

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 09:22
still looking mate.
FollowupID: 612692

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 10:16

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 10:16
I think you downplayed the biggest advantage of the Oztent and that is the "great awning" you mentioned.

This the very reason I selected the Oztent (RV3) over the BW Turbo.
With the awning up, you have good protection from the sun or rain whilst cooking or lounging about.
With the addition of the optional side panels, you also increase the protection from wind. The awning, either enclosed or open is the living area and I regard a protected living area as essential to our lifestyle, whether we are using the Oztent, or the camper trailer.

There are several accessory items you can add to the Oztent as and if required. The awning with side panels (we have the peak style) becomes another fully enclosed area if you add a front panel to it or you can leave the canvas section rolled up and have the insect mesh only.

You can even add a awning joiner and attach another Oztent to it.

The Oztent wins hands down IMO.

PS - Oh, and you don't need a DVD reference on how to collapse the tent like the Black Wolf Turbo 240 comes with.

PPS - they are both great tents and it gets down to personal preference I guess.

Bill

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 344744

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 10:23

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 10:23
One other point.

The Turbo Lite may be cheaper, but the Turbo 240 or 300 are equivilent in price to the Oztent RV3 and RV4.

I compared both at a 4WD show and they were a similar price.
As a show special the Oztent came with the Peak side panels for no additional cost. A further saving of $169.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 612699

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 18:35

Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 18:35
Hi Bill
I am with you on this issue, and we also have the RV 4

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612777