Swap toyota 1 & 1+1/2 seat for a pair of buckets

Submitted: Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 23:14
ThreadID: 6520 Views:1921 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, Does anyone experience in swapping seats in a toyota 60 series wagon.
That is: Do you know what bucket seats (ie: VN Commodore, XD Ford) are the easiest to fit instead of the standard drivers bucket and the 1+1/2 passengers seat.

Also, isit better to replace both drivers and passengers or just the passengers seat?

The reason is that I am wanting to replace the standard 1+1/2 seat is so that I am able to make / fit a center conssole to have another place for rubbish to accumulate.

Chappie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dan (Brizvegas) - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 07:42

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 07:42
Hi Chappie -
I drive a 60 series and am regularly fustrated by having limited space for my junk etc...I have often thought about replacing my front seats but I loose the advantage of the extra up front. Sorry, but I don't know what the answer is...so I'll be watching with interest the responses you do get. I think you must also get a safety ticket with it to comply with some regulatin of somesort???
Have a good one.
Dan
AnswerID: 27542

Reply By: ptcrowe - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:16

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:16
Chappie I have swapped the front seats out of my sixty series for a couple of buckets. I picked up a couple of Magna seats from the wreckers for 80 bucks and they had the lot, lumbar support etc etc. They are bloody comfy too. The only problem with them is that they are probably a little to wide for the job. The drivers side seat is very close to the handbrake and there wasn't as much room left between the seats as i would have liked to fit my console. I think if you picked up something from a toyota corrolla or something similar they would be better. As for fitting them in the drivers side wasnt to much trouble at all I just had to make up a frame that bolted to the magna seat and then bolted that to the existing seat supports in the car. This did raise the seat a little which I found to be an added bonus since it improved my view over the bonnet quite a bit.
The passenger seat was a bit more of a problem since I couldnt use the existing frame due to the width of the original seat. But with a 4'' angle grinder a bit of angle iron a welder and a small amount of know how I knocked up a frame that matched up with existing threaded holes in the floor of the car.
My advice to you is to head off to the wreckers armed with a tape measure and have a hunt around for seats that are a close match to your drivers side seat and go from there. As for requirements for certification etc I wouldn't have a clue But if you put seat covers on the seats and have a nice looking console in the middle most people won't know that its not factory fitted seating.
good luck.
AnswerID: 27543

Reply By: Steve from Armidale - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:50

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:50
Did that a couple of years ago. I only changed the 1 +1/2 seat with a 60 series sahari seat (they were two buckets on the 62 series I think. All the mounting holes are there fr the front track. Just move the support for the inboard passenger track to a the new position. Get it certified and its sweet.
Intalled a Dept of the Interior console and it looked a million bucks.

e-mail me if you want any further info.

Steve from Armidale
AnswerID: 27546

Follow Up By: Steve from Armidale - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:51

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:51
Sorry, that should be a sahara seat :)
FollowupID: 18954

Follow Up By: Andrew - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:55

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:55
Hi steve, so the 62 sahara has buckets that will fit in a standard 60 with no drilling or making new brackets? Does it also have a centre console?

Thanks
Andrew
FollowupID: 18982

Follow Up By: Chappie - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 15:37

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 15:37
Steve, Hi, I think I can work out the mounting brackets and such if necessary, but I was actually hoping that somebody knew what seats were a good fit.
But, I am interested in the "Dept of Interior" console. Do you have an address for the makers.

By the way, my name is also Steve.
FollowupID: 18998

Reply By: Hughesy - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 09:49

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 09:49
Just a little question that's similar to yours chappie, does anyone know if you can use the same rails (bottom of seat) from the drivers side of a 75 series to mount on the passenger side? I thought for sure you would be able to considering they make LHD models and I couldn't see Toyota making different rails or body mounts. I can see hole mounts for the single seat on the passenger side but the wreckers reckon that they won't fit. I don't want to pull everything apart to prove them wrong. ANyone out there done this before. I'm just replaced the drivers seat with a KAB and want to but the old drivers seat on the passenger side and put my little beer cooler in the middle, closer to hand!!
Cheers,
Hughesy
AnswerID: 27552

Follow Up By: Chappie - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 15:33

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 15:33
Thanks for the info, I will be following it up. I think I will either see if I can find a Sahara and grab the passengers bucket or failing that scour the wreckers with a tape measure and a bottle of good luck.

When I finish the job, I will post the results back here on the forum hoping that it will make it easier for the next person wanting to do the conversion.
FollowupID: 18997

Follow Up By: Steve from Armidale - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:53

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:53
Hughesy,

Done that exact thing in my troopy!!!

1) If you have a tilt forward seat you have to buy a seat slides as the drivers side slides are the reverse of the passenger side. You can use one (can't remember which one, but its pretty obvious) and you can buy the other from Toyota (stanard troopy slide for non-tilt forward seat)

2) The drivers seat is not in the centre of the slide. It is 50 mm off centre (towards the drivers side door) When you fit it to the passenger side you will notice it is close to the centre hump. I'm lookng at ways of moving mine across.

You will have to have the thing certified.
Let me know if you want any more info.

Steve from Armidale
FollowupID: 19083

Reply By: Eric - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 22:10

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 22:10
just remember that any seat mod needs to get engineered
AnswerID: 27640

Reply By: murranji - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 18:39

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 18:39
..Have a pair of Flofit [A R B ] seats with frames [bases] ex my HJ 60 series that I want to sell >Very good condition dark brown ,always covered.Have to speak to a person who has first offerand who i promised to contact .If you are interested they could be available and are definately first class. email murranji@datafast.net.au located Western Victoria
AnswerID: 27769

Reply By: murranji - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 18:39

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 18:39
..Have a pair of Flofit [A R B ] seats with frames [bases] ex my HJ 60 series that I want to sell >Very good condition dark brown ,always covered.Have to speak to a person who has first offerand who i promised to contact .If you are interested they could be available and are definately first class. email murranji@datafast.net.au located Western Victoria
AnswerID: 27770

Sponsored Links