Bush Fires

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 23:39
ThreadID: 65222 Views:2537 Replies:8 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
We've just had a long hot session in WA and there are bush fires in various locations.

Some idiot who should be whipped when caught set Kings Park alight. That's in the centre of the city.

Large area north of Two Rocks was ablaze but I think it's under control.

Biggish town in the SW has lost several houses and properties.

I know at least one EO member lives there. Is everything OK Motherhen?

I hope any other EO members in these fire stricken areas are OK too.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dizzy - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 00:00

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 00:00
Hi Gone Bush,
Yes they are a mob of a****s. Whipping is to good for them. Being the sick characters the are they might just enjoy it.
May be a burning at the stake might improve their way of thinking/mentality!!!

Have seen you round a few times, Sth of River.You must live near me.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 344858

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 00:03

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 00:03
Mandurah, Tony.

Yes the red trayback and those plates would not make a good getaway vehicle for a bank job, would they?

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612831

Follow Up By: dizzy - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 00:23

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 00:23
No they certainly wouldn't.
Riverton.A dark red discoTD5.
Futher awar than I thought. Even though seen you in the area. From memory [got CRAFT these days] a Lady was driving it once.
Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612833

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 00:50

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 00:50
I reckon we're in for a big year......
Heaps of rain...heaps of grass....and now its drying out.......
All we need now is some dead $hiit and we're in trouble!

Good luck
Cheers
AnswerID: 344862

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 01:06

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 01:06
Yes thanks Gone Bush - we have been lucky again unlike many others, but it was getting close last night. Our daughter took this. Scary stuff. We had no power most of the day which made it hard - no water pumps for house, no power for communications, and it was so HOT.

Image Could Not Be Found

Motherhen

Who won't even light a camp fire - still paranoid about fire
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 344863

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 01:59

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 01:59
Glad to hear that you got out of it unscathed, is the fire out yet? or are they just waiting for a thunderstorm?

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 612835

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 06:36

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 06:36
Looks from your photo to be a beautiful place - lots of space - to live Motherhen. At least having had one fire so close the risk of another should be reduced for a while.
We have forest not too far from our house too and having the trees and associated bird and animal life is wonderful. Guess we have to expect the fires occasionally too. Our last big one was started by a group of campers who didnt put their campfire out before leaving.
Best wishes
Heather G
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612837

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 08:21

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 08:21
Hello Motherhen

Glad to hear that you are safe. Heard it on the local news here this morning.

The same applies out here in the Southern Flinders. It is dry as anything and grassfires are a constant worry. Most fires here are started by machinery in the field or careless people throwing smouldering cigarette buts out of the car window.

Cheers
FollowupID: 612852

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 09:44

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 09:44
Mutha, good to know you guys are OK there. With fires around, and no power, we understand what that can be like with the loss of communications and pumping capacity.

We have been fortunate here with a cooler summer and one day over 35 so far. It looked like a hot summer was coming and then the coolest December for some years and three lovely inches and more of rain. Still a little of green around. Topped up the tanks too Mutha if you were coming through.

Bro, ahh the Flinders, love it there but it may be a little while before we are back there. Carelessness is a problem.
FollowupID: 612865

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 13:39

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 13:39
All seems to be contained now. From the news this morning, the only remaining unchecked front (north front) yesterday was brought under control overnight. We now have winds swinging from south to east, and very light sprinkles when it swings south which will help. With so much bush burnt, trees and stumps remain alight for many weeks, so 'nasty fire weather' can cause outbreaks.

Cause this time not yet determined. Four years ago when the same side of the shire was burnt in a fire, plantation trees hitting powers lines in a strong hot wind was the cause. Many of the bad fires in rural WA have power line origins.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612894

Follow Up By: dizzy - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 14:09

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 14:09
Hi Motherhen

Glad to here that you are safe. Been in one on BinL property down at Elecker. Started by lightning. Definately don't want to be in another.Savage!! Had a SWB Diesel Landy then, everything was extracted from the back and a water tank and pump put in.

I have a suggestion, that you invest in a reasonable generator for the house. Make an adapter plug from the generator to the house, pull the main SEC house fuses at the house, start the gen, plug into a house plug turn it on and you are up and running. I do this at home when we have a long power failure.
Any way that could be for the future.

Keep safe,

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612900

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 14:19

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 14:19
Hi Tony

The Honda is marvellous. I can roster two fridges and the freezer and keep all cold, as well as have the aquarium pumps taking turns (and incubator if that is going). A few lights and this time the two way base station as well, all on eco, and it runs for hours. We can last for days like that - main real need is the fridges. Longest power failure in recent years was three days; usually not more than 24 hours at a time. We do rely on power for so much these days. I see no need for setting up a full power genny.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612902

Follow Up By: dizzy - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 14:46

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 14:46
Wasn't thinking of a full power geni, it was just that you mentioned water pumps for the house and no power. I was thinking of a second hand one to run the pumpsfor water.

Will be staying at the motelin Feb. The Dept of War and I are going to the Country Music Fest at Boyup Brook.

Cheers

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612907

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 15:28

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 15:28
I'd still use the Honda on an appliance at a time rather than plug anything to the whole of house. If desperate, i would have used it on the pressure pump for the rain water (with some sort of alterations to the plumbing to get a hose onto the roof) - but that only if risk definite was imminent. If that was so, my husband would have come back with the firefighter which in its present bad state would have had enough pressure to fill the gutters. We were able to pump from soak to ensure base tank was full (faster than the syphoning which keeps the supply up), with the petrol pump based on soak, but electric pump from base tank up to house too big for our genny. We had enough water to wet the surrounds of the house, but not pressure to reach gutters. I put the pump on at midnight after the power came back on to refill supply at the house in case next day was as bad. Luckily it wasn't.

Enjoy the Country Music Fest.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612910

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 15:41

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 15:41
Hi Heather

A few years ago a friend of mine lost all her pasture paddocks in early December - the whole summer's food supply for the cattle gone. They have a river side property and landowners have to allow the public access to the river. Some city picnickers lit a campfire on a high fire danger day - and definitely in the prohibited burning period. You can put up all the signs along the major roads, but some people still think that no fires or even no camp fires doesn't include them.

When we were in the Kimberley last June, at one of the camps a couple of tenters lit a campfire to cook their lunch on a windy day, surround by long grass - didn't even make a break around it at all. A lot of hard work with towels and a bucket relay from a pool of water by all the campers for some hot hours and only bush and tempers were lost.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612915

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 15:52

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 15:52
Tony, i forgot to include in previous reply - We used to holiday at Elleker some years ago. We bought the old station master's house on the corner as a syndicate (not in the syndicate any more). I don't know if the house is still owned by the group, or even if it is still there. I can't imagine a fire; everything was always lush green Kikuyu all summer, even though one summer lacked the usual rainfall and we were carting water to the house. We were there for some weeks over a couple of summers while my husband was working in the Albany area.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612918

Follow Up By: dizzy - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 23:22

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 23:22
Hello again Mh,

Actually the Brother in Law is more Cuthbert Than Elleker. He has 100 acres of peat for spud growing, and his house is up on the coastal hills behind.The fires were all along the coastal hills which is full of peppermint trees. He was alright. A few were in trouble though. Luckly nothing was lost.
Yes the kikuyu is always green. The trouble is that underneath there is a lot of peat and once that starts burning you are really in the 'nure'.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 612988

Reply By: V64Runner - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 06:49

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 06:49
Sadly most of the fires we have had in WA and in thePerth metro area were the work of arsonists. one fire was started by a suspected lightning strike. These arsonists dont realise that they are putting peoples lives and properties at risk. I fail to see what pleasure they derive from setting the surrounding countryside on fire. The law as we know it is an ass, and a minimum of 20 years behind bars with NO parole might make some of these people think twice - yet I suspect they havent the ability to think, otherwise they wouldnt be lighting fires.
AnswerID: 344871

Follow Up By: Member - Alanc - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 08:06

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 08:06
"yet I suspect they havent the ability to think, otherwise they wouldnt be lighting fires."

You've hit the nail on the head with your last comment V64Runner, they don't have a brain.
FollowupID: 612846

Reply By: autosparky - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 14:36

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 14:36
i say to cut off both hands and all toes (try and strike a match with the cheeks of your a***se)
AnswerID: 344924

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 15:32

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 15:32
Is anyone in the Port Lincoln area? Are the fires all under control now? We were there just days after the bad one in January 2005. West Bridgetown had just been badly burnt out then too.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 344933

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 19:58

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 19:58
I see in the news headlines at the top of the page that water bombers are currently fighting three fires in the Robe area of SA. Anyone here live near Robe? Fire is something we need to be very conscious of when camping in the bush as i like to do. It would be very easy to find yourself cut off should a fire occur. Fire in the bush can travel exceedingly fast.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 344970

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 22, 2009 at 19:28

Thursday, Jan 22, 2009 at 19:28
The headlines at the top of the page each day show just how many bad fires we have across the states this month. As i logged on this afternoon, there were three reports of fires in Victoria and NSW.

The official losses listed so far from the Bridgetown fire is now seven dwellings, and of course lots of other property, livestock and 1,700 has plantation timber.

It appears there were two ignition points.

Weather has been kind to us since the fateful day.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 345551

Sponsored Links