caravan rear view camera

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 13:12
ThreadID: 65279 Views:3550 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
HI, I am looking for a rear view camera for rear of van, and was wondering if the wireless type worked as good as the wired type . Or if anyone had any good ideas on this topic .
Cheers Ken
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 13:33

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 13:33
Hi Ken, if you do a search over about three years time span, you will pick up this perennial topic and get plenty of info. We started with wireless, as it worked with someone's Jayco, but it was very spasmodic through our Bushtracker, so we hard wired it. You also need to be careful as we discovered when we bought a wrong type), that the camera is focuses for distance not close as in for vision when reversing. We bought one and found we couldn't see the vehicles approaching until they were close. Previous camera (cheapie from Hong Kong) had good distance vision.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 345202

Reply By: HappyCamper - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 13:36

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 13:36
G'day Ken

From what I've read re wireless cameras they don't work too good on caravans and the wired type are much better. Too much interference for a good signal appears to be the reason. I was following these reports as I plan to fit one to my van. Brashs Imports on eBay has been the preferred seller.

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)
AnswerID: 345203

Reply By: Ted G - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 13:55

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 13:55
Hi Braggy
I have a waeco on my caravan it was installed when it was built.
Best thing to have large screen, has been wired both as a reversing camera and as a revision when travelling it also has provision for a second camera in the car for hooking up or when the caravan is not attached.
I have also got a cheapie camera and screen in the car for reversing it was installed before the waeco, just about useless small screen next to no vision at night.
The Waeco cost about $500 for camera and screen and about $200 extra for a second camera.
Don't buy a wireless or a cheapie not worth the trouble you may as well put your head out the window.
Regards
Ted,
AnswerID: 345208

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 15:10

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 15:10
Worst thing to buy is a rearvision mirror type screen as all the ones Iv seen including the one I have is useless in Daylight as the screen does not have enough brightness to overcome the normal image.

I have a Polaris system but have a cheapy camera on the van which is as good as the $170 Polaris one.

Also tried Infra red versions and binned them as they flared in daylight and washed out all the colour.

Now have a minicam on the top rear of the van protected by a 40mm poly pipe bend works well.
Attached are some pics of car screens and van cam

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

FollowupID: 613198

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 20:04

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2009 at 20:04
Hi Braggy, I fitted a $220 roof monitor to the 80 series and used good quality TV aerial cable (quad shield) to do the hook up to the rear of the cruiser. Also ran a second circuit to the van as the roof monitor has AV1 and AV2 inputs. I used the waterproof "F" connectors throughout and I bought 2 cameras from 95soarer on ebay. He is the cheapest in Australia from my experience. System works extra well but I do not use it as a rear view system but only as a reversing system. Screen gets to warm if left on for any length of time just like most lcd screens.

Whole setup cost about $350 as I set it up and therefore didn't have to pay for set up labour.

The wireless units, well the one I got anyway, are bl@@dy useless over the length of the cruiser, I guess, unless you pay big dollars.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Gazal.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 345263

Sponsored Links