Fitting Awning to Onyx Pioneer Camper

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 13:46
ThreadID: 65304 Views:3625 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

We have just taken delivery of our new Onyx Pioneer Camper.
Has a few problems but will sort out with Company.

Would like suggestions to know how you owners of Pioneer campers fit your awning:

Do you put it on whilst raising top ?, which is extra weight on internal pipes that could bend.

Do you carry a small ladder and zip it after erection?
How do you fit top rails to awning once up?

Thanks P&J
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 15:00

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 15:00
When I had my Pioneer I did the following:

Only half raise the roof.

Zip the awning on using a broomstick, 3/4" dowell, with a cup hook in the end (ends up looking like a boathook) thru the zipper.

Then put up the poles etc and the roof.

Drop it the same way.

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 345365

Follow Up By: PandJ - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 20:40

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 20:40
Hi Gone Bush,

Thanks for the idea I will try on our next back yard practice erection. Cheers
FollowupID: 613655

Reply By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 16:40

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 16:40
Hi P and J,

Congrats on your purchase. I took delivery of my Pioneer Onyx in march last year and once I'd figured out I couldn't reach the pitch in the tent once it was erected I purchased an aluminium step ladder from Bunnings.(3 step) for around $50. It is a lightweight step ladder ( probably weighs about 2kg) and just lays under the bed with the awning. I tried the dowel and hook but still couldn't get the zipper over the pitch, Found the step ladder the easiest solution. When putting up the poles and sliding the awning poles in I just work along from the door end to the kitchen end then put in the pegs and ropes as I go. It takes me around 20 minutes all up to put the camper up and have the awning done. Annex walls take about another 10 minutes. I consider 30 minutes for the lot alright.
I'd be interested to hear what 'problems' you had with your Onyx.
I initially complained about the tyres on arrival but these were changed immediately. Haven't had any other issues with the camper and a comment I often get is that the camper is very well engineered over many other similar hard floor campers. I had the winch put on mine so I can erect and pack up on my own.

What state are you in ?

Cheers.
AnswerID: 345379

Follow Up By: PandJ - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 20:46

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 20:46
Hi Paul,

I thank you for your remarks and questions. I will possibly be like you, get a ladder. Can you please give me an email address or phone number I can contact you on re the issues I have on camper. That prevents all the unwanted remarks.

Cheers P&J
FollowupID: 613657

Reply By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 15:12

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 15:12
G'day P & J ,

email is maccap100 at yahoo.com.au

look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers
AnswerID: 345862

Sponsored Links