grand vitara suspension

my 2006 GV sags when towing my van. The tow ball weight is only 85 kg. How can I improve the capacity? It has been suggested that air bags or stronger, higher coils will do the job. Which is best, other suggestions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 16:45

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2009 at 16:45
Air bags WONT help as they only lift what is above them and should be used for running with heavy loads in car.

A Hayman Reece weight distribution hitch is the correct thing to use.

How do you know the ball weight Have you actually weighed it with the van packed for travelling or is it just what you have been told
I have just put heavier progressive springs in my Croozer in preparation for travelling and they are actually shorter than standard but harder

Coils and air bags will lift the back but the pivoting action of connecting the van will still have the front up.

A WDH will correct this as will having it set at the correct height to enable it to straighten out the rig.

If you dont understand what they are all about go here

http://www.haymanreese.com.au/index.htm

AnswerID: 345381

Reply By: Member - Geoff the chef (NSW) - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 08:35

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 08:35
hi gagey,
a wdh will help with getting the car and van level, but will not improve the towball weight capacity of your towbar. You have 85kg towball weight on the GV,but you will have to find out the towball weight for van. If it is greater than 85kg you will probably have to replace the bar on the GV to keep any legal/insurance issues at bay.
cheers,
Geoff
AnswerID: 345605

Sponsored Links