KUHMO TYRES

Submitted: Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 13:36
ThreadID: 65359 Views:4971 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day ...sorry to be asking re tyres again ... having researched through some archived threads I gather they have been done to death ... however I also gather that Kuhmo have only recently moved into the heavier duty tyre area ... so any opinions on their tyres for all terrain / serious offroading purposes would be most appreciated... cheers.. ciao for now ... sassy.. oh we will be towing a camper trailer & intend to put the same tyres on it as well... woduyareckn?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 14:01

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 14:01
A couple of the Kimberley cattle stations that we have visited were using Khumo 7.50 x 16 cross ply rags (16 or 18 ply rating?) on their bull catchers. Tough as old boots. That is the most extreme off road application.
But they are very ordinary on a road, so not really "all terrain".
Ask Willem........he uses these 'orribble things......

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome

AnswerID: 345646

Reply By: wicket - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 15:49

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 15:49
I use the KL78 AT LT and have found them to be very good on most surfaces they even work well on wet bituman. would buy them again.
AnswerID: 345655

Reply By: Flywest - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 16:56

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 16:56
In biased.

Bro in Law is a travelling rep for Kuhmo so get a "cost price family discount" - wich means we always get Kuhmo,

That said - recently all the manufacturers except Kuhmo had big increases cos the Aus $ dropped against the Chinese yen - while kuhmo are made in Korea and the Aus $ against Korean $ stayed the same - hence for a few months Kuhmo's which are a better quality tyre KMs/$ wise than the Chinese imports were actually cheaper as well, meaning the other brands couldn't compete!

Something no one seems to ask is Kms travelled per $ cost of tyre.

Kuhmo's can actually tell you those figures and they are mostly better than anything else on the road - many of the larger heavy truck & bus tyre people buy based on Kms travelled per $ cost of tyre. Some have contracts where they supply bus and trucking fleets on a cents per KM basis, ie Perths MTT fleet has a contarctor who supplies their tyres and gets paid every month $xyz for the total KM's travelled by the whole fleet.

he buys Kuhmos because he gets the best kilometers travelled per $ cost of tyres and as a result his margin is highest with the best tyres Kms travelled per $ cost of tyre.

Maybe if people actually did this excercise with their 4WD tyres they might be surprised at the results.

Reality is some brands with fairly average tyres spend heaps on advertising (Mickey T and Coopers for eg) and al the yung bucks with monster wheels buy em coz they look mean!

Fair enough but reality is a good set of all terrains in stadard size is all most of us need!

For those folks you can't go past Kuhmo's IMHO.

Prior to Bro In Law working fr Kuhm - he managed a tyre store for a few years and the last set of tyres he got for the cruiser were Pirelli Scorpions AT's which are still less than half orn with 40,000+ KM's on them (11mm tread depth left).

Then along comes Aust 4wd monthly and does a test and pronounces them the best value and best performing tyre in oz!

Tell me something I don't already know!

Bro In Laws never steered me wrong on tyres yet - if he says Kuhmo then thats what I buy!

Cheers
AnswerID: 345665

Follow Up By: Member - lyndl b (WA) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 14:08

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 14:08
Thanx.. that's encouraging.. do you find them quiet on bitumen?
FollowupID: 613737

Reply By: Madfisher - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 20:22

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 20:22
We have the aggressive ats in 10r/15lt on the Paj. Done 30000ks not half worn yet. Good on tar quite, and good off road.We only paid $170.00 for them so excellent value. Also have the milder ats on the Jack, which are brilliant on wet tar and have had no problems off road.
Only problem I have had when I put the milder ats on the Jack I was getting tramlining till they wore down a bit.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 345678

Reply By: Member - Paulnmissus (WA) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 13:09

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 13:09
Hi, I've had everything from Road Track Majors on Landys to Michelin on Cruisers. Whilst they had their specific purposes some are better suited to general everyday use than others. The one I use now and seems to do well is Pirelli Scorpion A/T. For an A/T tyre it wears well and is very quiet on the road, one thing people forget about as the tyre wears is that with some you can't hear yourself think in the cab (uneven wear doesn't help)...most annoying and makes a long trip tiring, makes cheap tyres not so much of a bargain in the end. On the highway keeping pressures up makes for more even wear pattern and reduces heat build up, not to mention easier on fuel consumption. Cheers.
AnswerID: 345728

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:13

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:13
Your search may get more results if you try ..... Kumho
AnswerID: 345791

Sponsored Links