H4 headlights

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 22:14
ThreadID: 6536 Views:4439 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Forumites,
I'm after some opinions about brands of headlights and effectiveness of said illuminators. I have Narva H4's in my GQ and I'm not that impressed, I also have the 30% extra light globes in stiil not much chop. In the Rangie I have the Lucas H4's with standard globes, these seem better than the ones in the GQ, I have heard the Hella H4's are also good, opinions please. All the usual stuff applies, thanks to all repondents up front, personal experiences would be appreciated. Keep the shiny side up
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 22:38

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 22:38
Mate has the twin GQ of mine, he has the Narva H4's, I went with the Hella H4's he is going to get hellas, the difference is somehow amazing..

IPF are supposed to be better again...
AnswerID: 27646

Reply By: Yarn - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 03:22

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 03:22
I'm going or a set of Cibie Oscer SC's from what I can find out they are very good....Yarn
AnswerID: 27681

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:20

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:20
I've used the Phillips H4's and found them pretty good.
AnswerID: 27712

Reply By: jaycee - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 19:45

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 19:45
See if Hella can do you a set of Xenon lamps. Absolutely magic!
AnswerID: 27782

Reply By: Hatcher - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:50

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:50
G'day,

I enquired once about fitting IPF replacement headlights to my 4Runner and the ARB salesman said "..once you try these you'll wonder why you didn't switch before now..." I thought " Yeah, right. Typical salesman hype.." but bought them anyway and believe me, they were fantastic and I never regretted spending the money (about $350 at the time) It might have had something to do with the 90/145W globes, but the lens design is extremely good at spreading the light down on the road directly in front of the car and to both sides of the road. I was so impressed with them that I bought a set of 85W IPF fog lights, and when I had a little run-in with a Holden Vectra I thought for sure that the fog light that copped the impact would be broken (approximately a 40k/h hit) It had pivioted backward on its' mount but there wasn't a mark anywhere on it and after realigning, it worked as good as ever. Yes IPF lights are expensive, and the price of the globes are ridiculous, ( I replaced the $52 H4 IPF globes with $10 90/130W Narva globes when one finally blew) but I believe an often overlooked performance part of a light is the reflector, lens and build quality in which the IPF excel.

AnswerID: 27850

Reply By: Member - Russell - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:21

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:21
I agree about IPF, but don't get sucked into the HIR globes. I got some (hideous cost) but find that they're not really better than 130 watt globes - for my 800 series H3 spots. Expensive lesson for me. Lightforce seem good, but are quite different in their approach ( a bit like Fisher & Paykel in white goods). Make sure you pay close attention to the power delivery side. You can have the best lights in history, but if you don't deliver the power well, you might as well have $30 Supercheap ones. Keep the cable length to a minimum and use good heavy stuff with minimal voltage drop. Also, don't ignore the quality of the earth return wire - keep it thick too. HID seem good but are not worth the money IMHO.Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 27857

Sponsored Links