80 Series Hand Brake Adjustment

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:41
ThreadID: 65381 Views:22987 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone have experience with adjusting the hand brake on a '92 80 series cruiser 1 HD-T wagon?

I've found the little adjustment of maybe an inch or two on the hand brake mechanism inside the cab near the center console under the vinyle cover and adjusted that to the bottom of it's thread!.

The handbrakes better but still not good...

Obviously the cables are stretched after 16 odd years of service.

It just amazes me that theres not some kind of long continuous threaded rod, somewhere underneath in the cable run that would allow a lot of the stretch to be removed.

Darned if I can find any cable adjustment under the vehicle - including on the back wheels (discs).

Is it a case of time for new cables that haven't stretched, (yet) or is there some other simple cure that I've overlooked?.

For those who posted on my air con problem - thanks indeed. Investigation today reveals that I think we are low on Gas again because the pipe at the back of the engine bay right in front of the TX valve where it should be coldest is barely cool to the touch and the ally pipe into the rotary vane compressor is likewise only barely cool.

It has been suggested to me that for cold air in city traffic I should also consider adding twin electrc thermo fans in front of the air conditioner condenser behind the grill?

Anyone had this done care to comment?. It appears theres a pigtail in the wiring loom at the front of the radiator behind the grill to take such a termistor fan setup, and trigger it with the compresor clutch.

Just curious if anyones done this and any downsides?

Thanks again in advance! (And Happy Australia Day Weekend)!

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:46

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:46
Have you had a look here might be some help. re the hand brake.
Site Link

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 345767

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:47

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:47
Hi Flywest,

The handbrake cable needs to be de-adjusted inside at the lever and then rear wheels need to be removed and then handbrake shoes inside rear disc rotors need to be adjusted correctly.

Cheers
Matt
AnswerID: 345768

Reply By: autosparky - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:56

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 19:56
you dont need thermo fans. all that is needed is yuor viscious fan needs more silicon put in. toyota sell it for 8.95 a tube. get 2 loosen alt fan belts . remove fan hub , mark a point on hub then dismantle the hub (4 or 5 grub screws) wipe old silicon grease away from one face pour in your 2 new tubes of grease. line up you marks , and refit and reassemble . and your fan should give you another 16 years of service
AnswerID: 345772

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 02:43

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 02:43
why loosen your alternator belts? that will make the hub much harder too remove as the water pump will spin while trying to remove the 4 bolts
and grub screws they aint
best removed with an impact driver to avoid rounding them as they are VERY tight
FollowupID: 614877

Follow Up By: autosparky - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 14:14

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 14:14
i have seen the damage done to the water pump by not loosing the fan belts proir to the removal of the fan hub assy leave the belts tight if you have to to remove the hub assy nuts, but loosen the fan blts prior to removing the fan hub
FollowupID: 614946

Reply By: Flywest - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 20:53

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 20:53
Thanks again guys.

Just so I have this right - (re the Lcool site link) even tho the vehicle has 4 wheel disc brakes - there are a set of brake drum shoes inside the rear disc rotors?

Thanks again - I'll go pull the wheels and have a look!

Cheers!
AnswerID: 345781

Follow Up By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:26

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:26
The rear brake is a disc /drum combination.
The hand brake shoe's are inside the drum.
It will all become clear if you remove the rear disc / drum.
Remember to release the hand brake.
Remove the rear caliper.
And there are two threaded holes in the front of the drum, i think 8mm use these to help remove the drum
Screw in two bolts to push the drum of the hub, if the drum is tight or rusted on the hub and belt it with a soft hammer.

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 613803

Reply By: Flywest - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 01:46

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 01:46
Thanks Rob - I wouldn't have figured all that out - sounds like a job for tomorrow!

Cheers!
AnswerID: 345806

Reply By: Sea-Dog - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:28

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:28
Flywest..

After you have taken the wheel off and done the hand brake adjustment similar to an old school holden or ford put it all back together and do the adjustment in the cab next to your console...

You are 100% correct about the stretched cable and in short you can do what I did and whack a couple of 10mm nuts underneath the adjuster nut to effectively give you an extra inch or so adjustment.

From experience with my 92 model 80 series the instructions on 80scool etc don't work as well as taking the wheel off and adjusting old school...

My hand brake now holds nice and tight after being adjusted quite a while ago now..

cheers
AnswerID: 346152

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 22:33

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 22:33
Whatever you do don't over adjust the handbrake. If you do you will be driving down the road will get some horrible vibrations as the shows heat up. The 80 series hanbrake is not the best and needs frequent adjustment.
AnswerID: 346659

Sponsored Links