D'Aguilar Range trip access

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 21:11
ThreadID: 65384 Views:3818 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I was thinking of doing the D'Aguilar Range trip from Brad McCarthy's Dirty Weekends book this weekend with some friends.

I understand now that permits are not required and that you have to just obey the access signs.

However, somebody recently said that A Break was closed and you couldn't go that way.

Has anybody done the trip recently and can confirm whether you can do the trip as per the book (legally) by not ignoring any access signs.

-geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BenDiD - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:38

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:38
Geoff,

I haven't driven this recently so can't talk about road conditions.

The last time I drove it you needed a "permit to traverse", but I have just searched the EPA website and it says these permits are no longer issued or required.Check out this link Permit Not Required

So yes, you can drive it legally without any permits.

I hope someone else can tell you about closures.

The views from Mt Archer are unbelievable and there is a really steep challenging descent and ascent before hand. The swimming hole in the campground at the Archer camping area is big and deep.

cheers

AnswerID: 345795

Follow Up By: Member - Patrol Geoff (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 23:13

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 23:13
Thanks Ben.

Yes, the good news is that you don't need the "Permit to Traverse" anymore. Instead you just need to adhere to the signs they put up. Many months back (when this was first being rolled out) I was somewhat sad and cynical at the number of "track closed - no entry" type signs that they had put up everywhere on one of the trips we did.

Somebody had said that A-Break on the D'Aguilar track had been signed off for general access and I thought this was the one required to do the steeper areas. Hence my question.

-geoff
FollowupID: 613809

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:53

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:53
there was a link on the 4wd monthly forum about tracks being closed due to fire burn offs i think from memory. i've just tried to get on their forum to have a look at exactly what the link said but for some reason can't get access to the site at the moment.
once i get access i'll post the link up for you to read
AnswerID: 345796

Reply By: Chris & Sue - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 23:42

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 23:42
G'day Geoff,

We did this trip last weekend (2 x LC100s, 1 petrol, 1 diesel) and found it very enjoyable. As mentioned, no permit required. We didn't find any 'No Access' signs on the route as per the book.

A Break was certainly open if a little rutted on the steeper sections. We did it South to North as in the Dirty Weekends book. We only met about 6 cars doing it in the other direction.

I don't know what the rain during the week has done. It strikes me it could get a bit 'interesting' if they've had as much rain as we've had on the south side of Brisbane.

Cheers,
Chris
AnswerID: 345802

Follow Up By: Member - Patrol Geoff (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 08:58

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 08:58
Thanks Chris. That's just what I wanted to hear.

I did it once in the wet before. The climb in and out wasn't too bad, but there were some flatter clay parts where the car slipped about a bit from memory.

I'll keep an eye on the weather.

I'm going with a friend who hasn't done much off road before. I love this trek because it was one of the first off road trips we did when we got the Prado. It has great scenery, isn't too difficult but is one of the ones from the book that certainly required a 4WD.

It will be interesting to see how much more rutted it is since I last did it though.

-geoff
FollowupID: 613832

Follow Up By: Chris & Sue - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 09:53

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 09:53
G'day Goeff,

I'd really like to hear how it went when you get back.

Stay safe.

Cheers,
Chris
FollowupID: 613834

Follow Up By: Member - Patrol Geoff (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 20:20

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 20:20
G'day Chris

We went there yesterday and had a great time. There had been a bit of rain over the previous day, it looked like about 50mm from the BOM website. It was raining lightly when we started, but that had stopped by morning tea and the rest of the day was fine.

We came across some smoldering trees. It looks like they had been doing some back burning recently. No problems on the tracks. I went with my brother-in-law who had a stock prado with all terrain tyres. He's not done any real off road stuff (apart from beach) and D'Aguilar is a great place to have a play without anything too hairy.

3 adults + 6 kids between us and had a great time.

-geoff
FollowupID: 614178

Follow Up By: Chris & Sue - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 20:34

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 20:34
G'day Geoff,

Thanks for the follow up. Glad to hear you all had a great time. It's a really good track with some great scenery. As you said, you can have a great time without risking stacking the fourby!

Cheers,
Chris
FollowupID: 614180

Sponsored Links