Stickers inside tyres

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 22:43
ThreadID: 6539 Views:1474 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I bought a new set of tires for the Troopy last month and set off for a drive along the CSR. Got my first flat near Well 33 (Within 50 metres of a tire repair machine..) The hole looked like a crease, thought it must have got pinched some how but it was very low down on the tube. Got the next flat very close to the end after lots of Km's of corro's.
Anyway was getting the 2nd flat fixed at Halls Creek and the tire repair guy had a laugh when he saw the the 2 square shaped abrasions and holes in the tube. He looked around in the tire case for a while and pulled out a small plastic sticker. It was some sort of tire ID sticker, and had caused the flats in both tires due to them not being removed.
I have talked to the guy who fitted my new tires and he had never heard of it before. (So does not remove the stickers) But I suppose as his shop isn't surrounded by 100's of km's of corro's (suburban Perth) its not a problem.
Have many others been let down (bad pun) in a similar sort of way?

Burpppp

Cam A.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pete - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 23:03

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 23:03
Had exactly the same problem a month ago on the Gibb River Road after having new tyres fitted in Leederville, Perth without the stickers removed from the inside of the tyre wall. Blew 3 tubes in a row on the corrugations running at only 38 psi. The guy who replaced them on the GRR showed me the marks where the stickers had rubbed away at the tubes. I have kept the tubes and intend to take them back to where the new tyres were fitted, (it cost $200 for new tubes on the Gibb!). I reckon if you're fitting 4wd tyres they should be fitted to cope with corrugations. i think consumer affairs would agree.
Pete
AnswerID: 27661

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 23:08

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 23:08
gday cam.
i work in tyres and the glue that hold the stickers down eat at the tube the two just dont get along.
any good tyre fitter should know to look for them.got over no fraser.
get on with life(more weekend fun)
AnswerID: 27662

Reply By: Slammin - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 23:12

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 23:12
It's not just the short term either I fixed a mates flat and it was an old old tyre. Nearly bald. The splits had been painted over back when he had bought the vehicle (derrrh), very hard to remove. Any way I couldn't find any foreign object in the tyre so looked at the tube and found the sticker had perished the tube. It looked like it had been out in the sun for ages on that one small square and was all cracked.
Moral, do your own changes.
AnswerID: 27663

Reply By: Member - W.Wallace - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 23:33

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 23:33
Mate, have had the same problem re: stickers, heaps of times.
On both utes & truck tyres. Tyre mobs probably don't care, good repeat business!
AnswerID: 27666

Reply By: Mick - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 07:57

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 07:57
Good thing to know. Puzzled though why it has happened "heaps of times" tp some. I'd hope once was enough to learn or it is an exaggeration
AnswerID: 27690

Follow Up By: Member - W.Wallace - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 20:21

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 20:21
Maybe I should have said about six times in total, instead of heaps. but I'm talking about 5 vehicles, 2 utes 3 trucks 26 tyres between them, so maybe it's not alot, but it bleep s me it even happens once, tyre fitters should know better, and you can't stand over them and watch them all the time. It's bad enough when you get a fair dinkum puncture, let alone bloody sticker/glue!

cheers.
FollowupID: 19154

Reply By: geoff - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 15:38

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 15:38
yep,

bought 5 new BFG's for the cruiser last year and got three flat tyres within a period of two weeks, (we where leaving for the Kimberly region a week later!!!....) sure enough the tyre fitter agreed it was excessive and after some investigation he admited they had a new bloke on who had left stickers insde the tyres when installed.... How glad was I this was found out with all the flats happening within a few K's of home each time, rather than somewhere on Googs track, (thats where the rear suspension called it quits, but thats another story..) or the Tanami, or the Gibb river road........

cheers
AnswerID: 27742

Follow Up By: Cam A. - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 19:47

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 19:47
The tires I just bought are BFG's too, might be a coincidence or.....

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Burrpppp

Cam
FollowupID: 19284

Sponsored Links