UHF into 60 Series Cruiser

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:31
ThreadID: 6543 Views:1932 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Looking for Ideas on places to mount a UHF in a 60 series. I was looking at where the clock and those things that show you what angle you're on. Looks like if I removed them there would be a perfect fit for a radio. Anyone done this? otherwise I guess I could mount on the side of the 1 and 1/2 seat. Any better ideas?
Cheers,
Justin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve from Armidale - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 11:41

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 11:41
Justin,

When I had my 60 series I mounted the UHF under the dash to the right of the steering wheel with a mic clip under the air vent. (One of those small GME's - 3200 I think).

Steve from Armidale
AnswerID: 27721

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 12:20

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 12:20
G'day Justin, you have got the right idea, pull out the clock and inclinometer and the UHF (Electrophone) will fit in there nice and snug and end up looking like part of the dash.
AnswerID: 27723

Reply By: CHRIS - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 13:02

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 13:02
I have a 60 series, the UHF Uniden 088 which is mounted under dash to the right of the transfer case lever. The GME 27 MEG is mounted under dash to the left of the gear lever. Fits well.
AnswerID: 27732

Reply By: Justin - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 16:25

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 16:25
Thanks for the suggestions but I think I'll go for a larger unit mounted in the dash. (don't think i can afford a new fangled tiny one - unless someone has one going cheap :))
Looks like I'll be pulling the ol' incline - O - meter out, seems the most logical place. I've already got a clock and i'm not too sure I want to know my approximate angle. I notice there's some screws holding then in behind some cosmetic plastic which, I think spans from the clock to the other side of the heater control. Do I pull this out or do I get behind a pull averything out backwards?
Cheers,
Justin
AnswerID: 27745

Follow Up By: andy - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 18:34

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 18:34
Ive done this on a couple of occasions in 60 series. You will need to pull out the plastic panel as it is impossible to get the stuff out backwards. Take out all of the black screws from around the panel (about 12 in all from memory). Pull out the ash tray and there will be 2 or 3 screws under it. Probably have to take out the glovebox liner/shelf. Lid off first liner/shelf out and a couple of screws in the right edge of the inside of the glovebox hole. When all of this is out then the panel holding the clock and incline meter should move forward a bit. It will be restricted by the cables attached to the back. Put your hand in the gap and disconnect the lighter, clock and incline metre and the panel should come out. If the radio is in the way then you may need to take it out as well in order to get the uhf in place. the radio (if factory fitted) and all of the other junk have convenient plugs that will take a bit of prying to get undone. A few sware words and a bit of patience should get it all out ok. Cannot remember if there was much to mount the uhf to in there. from memory I somehow connected the thing to the radio mounting point. The job took a few hours and at times was a bit of a bitch however if it fits it is in the best spot. My brother thought that it was too much effort and put his under the dash just above where his left knee is to the right of the gear shifters (took him about 7 minutes). In hindsight this was probably a lot smarter than trying to fit it into the dash. There is bugger all room here and it was a big job. Just remember the space is tight, you may skin your knuckles and you definately will sware. Hope this helps Andy
FollowupID: 19141

Reply By: brooksy - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 14:19

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 14:19
I intially mounted mine under the dash to the left of the transfer case lever. no problem with it there. I now have it, plus the 27 mHZ mounted in a roof console. Best place for it. Out of the way. This may be another option, although could be a bit expensive.

Brooksy
AnswerID: 27881

Sponsored Links