Garmin Map management

Submitted: Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 19:43
ThreadID: 65437 Views:2456 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all, Happy Australia Day,

I'm currently finding my feet with a nuvi 760, not new to gps but new to this unit, so please bear with me.
(previously had magellan and recently, briefly tom tom)

I am wondering how to manage maps. I have a full back up of unit as out of box untouched, so can always get back to square one.

I got shonky maps, and another one with three all rolled into one, (shonky, tracks4 australia I think and another)

but when installed they look good off road but I think they impair the on road maps, is this so?

If... for example,... I have latest garmin map that has say a new freeway or something, then install shonky, does that go over top of latest map and eliminate the new freeway?

And if so how do you take shonky out.... do you need to delete whole thing n reload a back up?

Wondering how others manage the maps...??

I dont go off road a great deal, but dont want to spoil my latest map from garmin.... can I keep shonky on an sd card and insert when I go off road, then take out when I go back on highway, if so will it then revert to my latest garmin or do I need to do a restore from my pc?

I'm very impressed with this unit, but need some help to get the best out of the maps available.

As usual any help much appreciated.

Rgds

Ron
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 20:10

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 20:10
On my 660:

select the spanner on the RHS

Select "Map"

On the bottom of the screen select "Map Info"

Then you can tick, or untick, which maps you want to have displayed.

Hope this works on your set.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 346069

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 21:18

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 21:18
thanks, found that, had 4 in there, all ticked, so unticked except city navigator, then can bring in when needed if off road.

knew it'd be simple somehow.

thanks mate
FollowupID: 614050

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 20:14

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 20:14
my 2 week old Nuvi has crapped itself. cant find anymaps - ive tried searching for them and resetting it couple of ways but looks like its going back
AnswerID: 346071

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 21:20

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 21:20
if you made a backup, just delete whole thing n copy files across again.

although if brand new, local store prob best bet.

Doubt its an issue, prob something simple, they seem to be very good units.

hope you get sorted

Ron
FollowupID: 614051

Reply By: That Troopy Bloke (SA) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 20:19

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 20:19
You can have multiple mapsets on your nuvi 760, put them on the sd card.
Just click Tools>Settings>Map>Map Info.
There you will find a list of maps that are installed on your unit....just select which one you want to use.

Shonkymaps will not corrupt your City Navigator....they are totally separate.

I found this thread useful when I loaded shonkymaps on to my nuvi.

Cheers
Glenn
AnswerID: 346073

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 21:21

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 21:21
Thanks....

interesting thread... found it now n all sorted, easy to switch in and out.

Thanks again

Ron
FollowupID: 614052

Reply By: Ron173 - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 22:02

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 22:02
As a general note on this topic, is it best to run with just the one purpose map at a time?

ie in city / highways keep only citynav on, then switch to only shonky if off road, or do most people run them all in sync?

just wondering as today they were all on, (city / shonky / contours / tracks 4) perhaps in my garmin nieveity (spelling?) and I'm wondering if it had an effect on general mapping as I was on way home on a fairly major highway, yet it kept showing me slightly off the road, and telling me to drive to highlighted areas or similair instruction.
So I wondered if it was a bit info overloaded and slowing in response due to mapping too much detail at once, map wasnt refreshing slowly, it was fine, but just wondered what effect all maps included had on processing abilities?

Rgds
Ron
AnswerID: 346089

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 22:03

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 22:03
Ron
Have a scout through my GPS webpage, you will a lot of info about the 760 there . Please note the blue message up near the top

GPS Info

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 346090

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 22:18

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 22:18
Thanks mate,

already had a look, very informative, working my way through it.

I had a magellan for bout 4yrs n did heaps with it, loaded new base maps, put name n address on start up screen, n all sorts of wiz stuff, i have heaps of magellan stuff if anyone reading needs help there.

Went tom tom with work for a while, then bought own dedicated tom tom, had a few days n not too impressed so swapped under dick smith's superb 'change of mind' guarantee, which you need all wrappings etc for but i had, and I changed my mind, very glad I did.

The Garmin is like a magellan in what you can do with it, but IMO better, plus mp3 for tunes etc.. great.

So finding my feet with it, and hope to turn it into an awesome unit with a bundle of info on it.

I have a file of all my gps points across the land etc. just personal stuff but great how you can load into almost any unit to complete your collection again.

Thanks again

Ron
FollowupID: 614061

Sponsored Links