Hilux problem, please help mechanical people.

Submitted: Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 19:53
ThreadID: 65438 Views:3650 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
My daughter has a '99 SR5 3ltr turbo Hilux. it was mine for 4 years and been hers for 2 more. I bought it at 2 years old with 43,000km on it.
Last year she smashed up the front (picture in my profile). It was repaired. She has been having overheating problems on and off since when towing up hills or on hot days. I never had it overheat, driving to Darwin during January, towing and with passengers, air con running, sitting on 120kph. It never overheated before the accident, towing a horse float with two big horses.
We found out the fan thermo clutch thingy was replaced with a second hand one, so AMMI ok'ed a new one. The radiator has been taken out and cleaned, pressure checked. The radiator people said that it was ok for the Hilux. It has 2 rows of tubes. We thought maybe a cheaper radiator core was put in.
Does anyone know how many rows of tubes/ how many tubes it should have?
The water pump is working. Can this work less efficiently sometimes?
Any other suggestions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: stefan & 12 times Dakar winner - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 21:06

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 21:06
I can't offer any solutions, just best wishes. I spent thousands chasing a mystery over heating prob in my old Patrol.....never solved by the way.

Best of luck, I guess the old rule comes to mind, start simple.

IE: New rad cap, pressure test, leak down test and the one they test for exhaust gas in the coolant and go from there. maybe an hour on the dyno and see if they can cause it to do it then and see whats happening with the bonnet up??

Cheers Stefan
AnswerID: 346081

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 21:45

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 21:45
It's not losing water. I didn't know about the exhaust gas test. I'll ask the mechanic.
Thanks for the comment.
FollowupID: 614056

Reply By: StormyKnight - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 21:16

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 21:16
Just a little outside the square...

where those spotties on there when you drove it or are they new....& is the number plate now covering the air gap thru the bullbar?

Cheers
AnswerID: 346084

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 21:41

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 21:41
The spotties were on before the accident. The Hilux in my profile with the alloy bull bar is my current Hilux. My daughter's Lux has an ARB bull bar. Probably not the problem, but thanks.
FollowupID: 614055

Reply By: Member - Matt H (SA) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 22:03

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 22:03
Hi Twinkles,

Just a couple of things to check. having towed a camper round Oz in 98 model (pre-turbo) SR-5, it takes a bit to get the temp gauge to even move off normal, let alone overheat!

When you say "overheating"; is it visible overheating (steam, etc) or is it because the temp gauge indicates it's overheating? Reason I ask, is maybe in the accident or ensuing repairs, the wire to the temp sender could have been dislodged or stretched/ broken internally - and that's damage not necessarily visible from the outside.
Faulty earths are also a common source of electrical problems. I'd suggest cleaning and reseating the battery connections, sender unit connections, all and earth straps to the body.

Failing that, I'd be temporarily replacing the temp sender with a direct reading gauge (capillary/mechanical type) and monitoring your temperature with that and see what readings you get.

I'd be surprised if the radiator, etc is to blame - unless the maintenance regime on the vehicle hasn't been followed as per the log book.

Cheers, Matt

AnswerID: 346091

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 23:32

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 23:32
There's some good points there.
If it was the temp gauge it would do it any time, not just when pressure is put on the vehicle, wouldn't it?
Previous to accident it never budged above 1/2 way, ever. My newer Hilux never goes above 1/2 way.
It now over heats when towing a horse trailer up hills or on hot days. No steam, just the air con cutting out and the gauge going into the red.
The radiator was replaced after the accident. Have a look at the picture in my photos of the smashed front end.
Thanks.
FollowupID: 614079

Reply By: Wherehegon - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 23:19

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 23:19
Hi there Twinkles, I presume you have replaced the thermo coupling which was approved after the second hand one ??? Did I read that write ?? Also was it replaced with a genuine Toyota one ?? not a davis craig or the like ?? When I had to replace myn I was told to use genuine and nothing else as they have had trouble with after market ones working then not working at all or cutting in too late or too ealry, this was advised to me by the bloke at the spare parts shop as he said he many returns due to the atermarket ones not working properly (this was referring to ones mainly for hilux's and cruisers). Yes they are 3 times the price but worth it for piece of mind. WHG
AnswerID: 346101

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 23:21

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 23:21
Sorry when I said "Yes they are 3 times the price but worth it for piece of mind " I am referring to the price of the Toyota Genuine Part. WHG
FollowupID: 614075

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 23:24

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 23:24
Yes it was replaced by a new one. I think he said it was about $500. I assumed it was genuine Toyota. I'll find out. Thanks.
FollowupID: 614076

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 23:42

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 23:42
Is the fan shroud (and all associated foams/seals) intact and in place?
Thermostat working as it should?

(just going through the "process of elimination" here;-))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 346103

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 07:20

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 07:20
I'll get them checked. Thanks
FollowupID: 614083

Reply By: mechpete - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 02:27

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 02:27
you may need to put extra oil in the viscous fan hub , have a mate who went through the same drama after spending big money doing up the cylinder head etc . I mentioned to him that it could be the problem ,yes it was a new one !! but after adding more oil no more overheating .
mechpete .
AnswerID: 346105

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 07:13

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 07:13
Thanks mechpete, it overheated before and after the new fan hub. I'll get it checked anyway.
FollowupID: 614082

Reply By: Member - jeff r (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:13

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:13
G'Day Twinkles

Your problem maybe co-incidental to the accident.
Just a thought.

I good mate of mine is a mechanic, his daughter' s car developed an intermittent o/heat problem, he drove the car around for 3 weeks and of course nothing happened, he did the appropriate tests as he is a very very thorough bloke. Changed the radiater cap,checked to ensure hoses weren't clapsing when engine warmed up etc etc etc.Thermostat etc you name it he did it. Gave car back..week later "dad cars overheating". A little fustration settling in now and he takes the car back for further tests. Finally 2 weeks later he gets the car to car o/heats,now starts testing and discovers the problem is a blown head gasket that appeared to open and close at will. He replaced the head gasket and problem solved.

Think about that

Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 346149

Follow Up By: Member - jeff r (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:16

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:16
When you fix problem let us know as people often solve these issues but fail to let us know the remedy

Regards

Jeff
FollowupID: 614117

Sponsored Links