4wding ettiquete

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:58
ThreadID: 65480 Views:4134 Replies:15 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
gday all

we just returned from a weekend out enjoying our great outdoor activity,4wding.
this prompted me to start this thread to remind people that when we are out there that there are other road users doing same.
here are a few things that could come in handy.

* when approaching other vehicles on narrow tracks,slow down,communicate with them if possible(uhf or verble as to how many vehicles behind).
* be thoughtful to land holders property( pick up ALL rubbish)
* common courtousy goes a LONG way.

if we all do our little part when we venture out we are helping to keep our image of our favourite past time enjoyable and keep everyone happy,cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:14

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:14
I find Australia Day always seems to bring out the idiot in a lot of people. Therefore we now prefer to postpone any Australia Day travels for a weekend or two.
AnswerID: 346303

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:40

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:40
ROBAK

i understand what you are saying but its a shame we have to do it that way isnt it?,cheers.
FollowupID: 614314

Reply By: wato35 - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:38

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:38
You would think that most people should not have to be told how to act in the bush or in a city. People don't normally trash their our houses or interfere with other peoples things. But take them away and some leave their brains at home. A little common sence doesn't cost a thing.
AnswerID: 346307

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:46

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:46
WATO35

agreed there mate,but its up to us to pull these people who do this into line cause it reflects back on us,cheers.
FollowupID: 614315

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:56

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:56
But Mark,
As you and I found out, you can't say anything to people like this, because you will cop a torrent of abuse.
FollowupID: 614316

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:03

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:03
Jon

a quick call into the local constabulary soon fixes that eh?
FollowupID: 614318

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:52

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:52
Mark I agree with you but sometimes it is a losing battle! Don't have to go far to see litterers/laziness at work. It truly amazes me about something being so hard as to take your rubbish and dispose of it. I hope that they don't own (or are unable to own) a 4WD to trash the bush but unfortunately the closer destinations have become accessible and suffer.

Common sense and courtesy is not so common but fortunately the people here are making a difference.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 346308

Follow Up By: Wayne David - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:17

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:17
My apologisies if this is a little off subject. BUT........

Recently returned from a trip along the Murray and Murrumbidgee & was appauled at the amount of crap people leave behind. Broken chairs, smashed glass and toilet paper indicating where females had a pee. Frankly I got sick of trying to clean-up other people's mess.

I don't get why lighter empty bottles and cans are harder to lug out than to lug into camp. Equally why can't all campers organise themselves to at least bury toilet waste or at least collect the paper in a bag and dispose of it at rubbish bins.

We operate on the 'take only photo's & leave only tracks' principle and it's not difficult at all. Seems to me that if someone like Vic Parks provides free camping that the very least we could do is show our appreciation by leaving things as we found them.

Sorry about the rant.
FollowupID: 614309

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:23

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:23
WAYNE DAVID

your precisely on the money there mate.

great rant.
FollowupID: 614310

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:40

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:40
Agree 100% there Wayne David. We always take a shovell to dispose of tiolet wastes and bring ours and other peoples rubbish out, especially if it is a spot we regularly camp at
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 614333

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:40

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:40
Some 4x4 drivers appear to be out there to 'conquer the bush'; make a racket with gennie's, run ghetto blasters and drop their rubbish.

Others are out there to enjoy the bush and take in the views, absorb the peace and relax.

As a longtime bushwalker I've come across both groups. When trudging up a 4x4 track it's a pain to have a convoy blast by raising clouds of dust. By contrast, sometimes the lead car will stop for a chat, apologise for the dust and ask if everything is OK. A simple courtesy that is much appreciated.

Well, there are bushwalkers too who drop rubbish, don't bury their crap, make a mess of huts and so on. This is typically in places more accessible to cities so over time you learn to go further afield.
AnswerID: 346315

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:44

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:44
Mark can confirm this, one of the first things I did when I got out of my vehicle to set up the camper, was to pick up a disposable nappy.
For heavens sake! why can't people take these things with them? It wasn't hard for us to take it out with us. After we left, the only indication to say we were there was the flattened grass, and it was a little cleaner thanks to our group taking out others rubbish. A couple in the group picked up rubbish from a camp fire after noon that was left hot.
Jeezes, What is wrong with people?

On your point Mark, of slowing when other road users approach, it was one of the first things I was taught when I first learnt to drive.
I don't understand the mentality of some that we came across. It was as if they had to travel as fast as their could and travel as far as they could in the three days. It was like watching a freight train running through the hills. How can their possibly enjoy the whole concept of traveling through this great country when you have to be somewhere at a certain time? Or you have a certain time to travel X amount of K's

My theory is, I don't encroach on or hinder you in an way, so please show me the same respect.

I think I will put my soap box away for now, besides it's not even Beer time yet. :(

It will be Soon :))
AnswerID: 346317

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:27

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:27
The problem is that the people referred to in this thread are usually unaware and worst still don't care......absolutely no concern for anyone else and they'll let you know that if you raise any issue!

For some, going into the bush is just an opportunity to party elsewhere without the need to clean up afterwards....tragic as that is.

Cheers
AnswerID: 346325

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:34

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:34
LANDY

surely these morons are a minority so shouldnt the majority try they're best to jump on these ones for the sake of the rest of us?

just my rant.
FollowupID: 614332

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:49

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:49
In an ideal world perhaps.....

I'm happy to clean up around campsites as many others have mentioned they do, but no interest in getting into a dust up and expose my family to harm...I'm not the law so it is easier to simply move on.

It's the old rule of thumb though 80/20...80% of people get it right....20% absolutely wreck it for the rest....

And your rant is fair enough.....

Cheers
FollowupID: 614335

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:55

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:55
LANDY

no dust ups mate but there are other ways to sort these ones out.

* report them with their number plates to the police.
* report them to the national parks or the like.
* correspondents to their club if they are in a 4x4 club.

just a thought.
FollowupID: 614337

Follow Up By: Wayne David - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:56

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 13:56
The Landy - Funny you should mention that.

I've only just posted a question about the possibilty of violence on Generator Noise In National Parks post.

I'll be interested to read what others think. Ideally it would a bunch of campers showing up together to kindly ask for normality to please return. But then again for some maybe pollution of all kind is 'normal'.
FollowupID: 614338

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 16:33

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 16:33
Hi Mark

Glad to see you all had a great weekend,and had no major dramas,
re: people leaving their rubbish lying around, it's getting to be a
National Disgrace, no matter where one goes these days, some
people are worse than animals, we see it all the time when staying
up the beach, National Parks provide large Industrial Bins at various
locations near the camping areas, but still people leave their rubbish
lying around and beer bottles ect and the dreaded White Tissue
Traps ect when they vacate the camp site, I reckon the Park Rangers
should be given more clout so they can issue on the spot fines if
they can prove offenders are the litterers, many a time I have
cleaned up a site before we set up, we allways take a few heavy
duty plastic bags with us and pick up other peoples mess, thats the
penalty we pay, for making sure we can use the camp sites in the
future.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 346378

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 16:37

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 16:37
DAZA

thats right mate........some of the members who came on our gathering picked up broken bottles,cans and rubbish that was in an open fire which was still warm!
FollowupID: 614373

Follow Up By: Rossco td105 - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 17:56

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 17:56
Some people are definately worse than animals...
FollowupID: 614395

Reply By: ajd - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 16:58

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 16:58
Just got back from Moreton Island (loved it!!).

But was left flabbergasted when meeting traffic on one way tracks, we would back up, sometimes for nearly 100 metres and the oncoming cars would not even make eye contact let alone thank you.

I found it rather odd as it happened again and again.

(Don't get ma started on the rubbish we had to clean up when we arrived at our camp site - dissapointing.)
Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 346383

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 17:30

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 17:30
At least Quadruple the fines,Link the fines to there license points...
Use the fine money to put Rubbish Inspectors in the bush,and hopefully they'll nab a few of those bloody gutless firebugs.

They dont hav to be parks,Just like parking Inspectors...

Its no different to a license its not a right to own one its a privilege and so should being in the bush !

Cheers
AnswerID: 346386

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 17:40

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 17:40
WARFER

here here mate.......count me in.
FollowupID: 614388

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 17:47

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 17:47
Warfer
I know where the problem starts, it starts at school.
I have a bit to do with our local Primary school and it is not uncommon to see kids walk over or kick rubbish that is laying on the ground, even in front of a teacher. Now I'm not here to bash Teachers, But why aren't kids made to pick up their own mess.
This is where the laziness comes from, it's the "it's not mine, so I don't have to touch it" Or " someone else will get that"
I'm always barking at my kids to pick up rubbish, wheather it is theirs or not.

AnswerID: 346391

Follow Up By: Wayne David - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:02

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:02
Hairs & Fysh (NSW)
The problem may start at school but I'd be inclined to think it starts at home or perhaps in the womb. I do a lot of work with children and you can see the ones that have been taught manners, consideration of others and that sort of thing. They just stand out a mile.

A recent noisy 'I'm alright Jack' group at Cape Conran (Vic S/E Coast) cleaned their dishes at the communal tap & left scraps of pasta and what ever for the rest of us to negotiate around. Must have been 40-50 campers using the same tap and yet it just took one mob to ruin it. Judging by what I saw of their kids behaviour, they are following fast in the footsteps of their parents. It's about me, me and me.

FollowupID: 614410

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:28

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:28
Wayne,
Your dead right about how their home environment is were it starts.
The word 'Manners', I believe it is not in their vocabulary. It consists of, What? Hey, huh, I want, Give me. said with the side of their nose pushed up and top lip curled.
They have something missing, by saying that I mean, they don't believe they have done anything, Rude, inconsiderate, it's normal for them.

God, listen to me, I sound just like my dad did thirty old years ago.
I've turned into my Father.
And I guess my son will say the same thing down the track. And if he does, it will mean I've done a good job of being a parent.

Wayne, that is one of my pet hates, food scrapes around a tap area.

FollowupID: 614416

Follow Up By: Wayne David - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:48

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:48
Hairs & Fysh (NSW)
Since I've stuck the boot into the 'slackers', perhaps I'd better give a pat on the back for someone I saw doing the right thing.

Camped at Moonan Flats (West side of Barrington Tops) last week and really enjoyed the council caravan park there. Not flash by anymeans but boy they try hard to get you to stay and enjoy the place. $5 per head for power, hot showers & clean toilets won us over. It was just a short stroll to the pub for cool drinks & fine meals and a short stagger back.

Anyways at Sparrow the next morning a Winnebago was warming-up ready to set off and through blood shot eyes I could see the crew getting about their camp site with plastic bags picking up doggy poo and what ever else. So that was nice to see the right thing being done. So they do exist.

Personally I follow our pooch around with a plastic bag for he does his dump. I suppose looking at it from his point of view, he must think his crapola is pretty damn special if someone is collecting it in a sealable plastic bag. If only!
FollowupID: 614426

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 21:44

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 21:44
There are a lot of people that do the right thing, Wayne, unfortunately we sometimes only remember the the bad things that stick in our mind.
FollowupID: 614444

Reply By: Rossco td105 - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 17:54

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 17:54
G'day Mark,

There are still plenty of us left doing the right thing.

Went down the coast on Australia day with a mate, our little one and both dogs. All the people we came across were courteous and let us know convoy numbers/said G'day. I was a little dubious due to the drive from Wilbinga to Two Rocks normally being packed out on public holidays...

We had a great day, stopped in a little cove out the way of the beach for lunch/swim. We and our two Ridgebacks said G'day to some fellow 4WD'ers and their hound 50m from us, all good. Picked up rubbish, and put out smouldering log from previous nights campers (still some idiots out there), and headed home.

Only really disappointing thing we saw was young girl sitting on window sill of vehicle heading into the dunes at two rocks! I'm sure it was really safe and all, but still...

Like you say, if only we all did our little bit...

Happy travels,

Ross and Jo.
AnswerID: 346393

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:00

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:00
On the Sunday of the LWE did a run down Preston Beach to Mylup in a convoy of 20 vehicles. We stopped for a smoko and bunched up. Some clown flew past our group without slowing down. It would of been quite possible for somebody to of stepped out from between the cars straight into his path of travel.

I and all other vehicles in the convoy slowed right down and took a wide berth around all parked vehicles. Plain curteous and safe. Too many kids on the beach.

Similarly the amount of vehicles who pass you while driving on the beach or tracks who don't slow down or keep left.

Bloody idiots the lot of them.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 346417

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 23:24

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 23:24
Thanks guys who replied to my threads...Now speaking with a Parks Ranger on the Crooked River about 6-8 weeks ago now,he said its only about 1% doing the wrong thing (Hairs & Fysh)..But its still enough to cause pollution/damage to areas etc etc...

Oh good thread too Mark G...

Cheers
AnswerID: 346481

Reply By: Flywest - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 01:16

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 01:16
Tonights news they are talkin bout introducing a refund fee on all cans and bottles etc.

Maybe next Australia day a group of Exploreozers pick an area that needs cleaning up badly - and all pitch in to clean a favourite camping place.

All the funds raised from collected cans and bottles can be donated to a kids ancer charity or something worthwhile.

With donated 4wd vehicles, trailers & teams of collectors - It could be done Australia wide - that would be a REAL australia day celebration - maybe burn or bury all the paper/cardboard or something and dump the scrap metal at the metal recyclers.

Then some kinda nighttime celebrations a sheep on the spit and a singalong round the campfire.

Just an idea - One day of cleanup for a long weekend camping and fun!

Organise it online!

Cheers
AnswerID: 346682

Follow Up By: ImOwtaHere - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 19:50

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 19:50
Wonder if they would refund broken bottles? On a recent camping trip I had to pick up that much broken glass it wasn't funny. Then I had to pull 2 pieces out of my dogs foot. Why is it necesary to smash the bottles all over the rocks and ground so that thy not only creat a mess but also become a hazard to campers and wildlife?
FollowupID: 614820

Reply By: Wayne David - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 00:15

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 00:15
ImOwtaHere - Yep that smashing of glass business has me beat too. I mean there's lazy, there's filthy and there's dangerous. I just hope it's not one of them or one of their children that step on broken glass and need to be rushed to hospital.

Say I love that pic of your dog in the bag in your profile. Red healer is it? I love dogs, they are just such wonderful creatures. Mine is asleep at my feet as I type and I just bet that if I said "okay mate it's time for a swim" ...that he'd be up like a shot and ready to go.
AnswerID: 346812

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 13:32

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 13:32
**I just hope it's not one of them or one of their children that step on broken glass and need to be rushed to hospital. **

I wouldnt care to be honest,if thats what it takes for them to stop it so be it ,they dont give a rats about other people or there kids or pets.

Cheers Wayne
FollowupID: 614939

Sponsored Links