Great Central Road Feedback

we are looking at going across the Great Central Rd in August we would the best camping be and how long do will it take from Perth to Yulara
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 14:36

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 14:36
Hi Di and Mark,
we are out that way again in August also, but coming in from the east. There is lots to see out there, so take you time and do a bit of exploring. A must visit is the Giles weather station to view the weather balloons being launched. Check at the Warakurna Roadhouse for the launching times, but the first launch of the day at about 8.30 is the larger balloon. Also a great spot to camp is the Docker River camp ground, about 4 kilometres before you get to Docker River coming in from WA, on the right hand side of the road.

Cheers

StephenImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 346343

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 15:20

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 15:20
I have done Yulara to Wiluna in two very long days...but didn't see much. As posted, take a bit longer and enjoy the views.
AnswerID: 346356

Reply By: D200Dug- Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 15:45

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 15:45
Did this in a 2 wd ute a few years back and it was a great trip. Take plenty of time and travel slowly there is lots to see. Amazing plants and stuff just beside the road if you stop and look.

We camped at Tjukayirla and Warakurna

Have a look at http://www.outback-hwy.org.au/

We had been told road conditions were bad but met a group of about 25 Citroen 2CV who had come across from Perth and they did it with no problems :-)
AnswerID: 346365

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 15:49

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 15:49
We were warned about the Warburton Community and stayed away.

The roadhouse looked OK though and if you like that kind of thing they did have an amazing glass blowing factory. I am not sure if it is still working or open to the public.
FollowupID: 614366

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 17:09

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 17:09
Hi Di & Mark

We came through from Yulara back into WA, but went touring after that, so our time frame will be very different to yours. We were lucky that the notorious section from Kata Tjuta to WA border had just been graded, so we made good time. The lovely Docker River campsite had been vandalised, so as we were making good time, we went on to our next stop - Warakurna Roadhouse - nice camping behind the roadhouse. We planned to stay there anyway to take the morning weather station tour at Giles. From then on we had two bush camps before Laverton; one day was short because of a strong headwind and dust storm. We had previously toured the area between Laverton and Kalgoorlie, and Niagara Dam is a nice camping spot.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 346384

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 18:08

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 18:08
Depends on what you want to see. We were on a mission to Perth from Cairns once. An easy time frame without looking at too many places is thus: Overnight Camp at Curtain Springs. thats 136k east of the rocks, good free camp. We drove from there to a bush camp West of Warburton just out of the native lands Day 1. We then did drove and did a bush Camp just West of Leonora on Day 2, From there it is a big days drive to Perth, so 3 long days with a bit of sight seeing will get you there! We did spen time looking at a few sights here and there between the driving. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 346396

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 19:25

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 19:25
Di & Mark

Don't forget to organise permits; one for the WA side and one for the NT side.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 346411

Follow Up By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 15:38

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 15:38
Hi Old Chook
Planning on passing that way later this winter
Had wondered about permits and are they still required .
My Info is a little out of date
It would be great to get some up to date information
Thanks
No offence inferred with Old Chook a compliment to a Mother Hen
Cheers
FollowupID: 614575

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:11

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:11
Hi Russnic - Well what more can i expect from someone from Un Zud, the land of the sheep sh------!

Yes, you do need permits which are free; one for the NT side of the border, and one for WA side. ExplorOz has done all the work for us - just click on the hyperlink on permits in the text and it will lead you to all you need to know about how to get the permits and where they are needed.

They are date specific; the NT gives you a three week time span - but must get through that section (Kata Tjuta to WA border) in one or two days. WA side is very date specific.

Spring Chicken

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 614583

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:15

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 16:15
That is odd - my reply is there but doesn't show. Weird. ExOz is also very slow today. I post it again and hope for better -

Hi Russnic - Well what more can i expect from someone from Un Zud, the land of the sheep sh------!

Yes, you do need permits which are free; one for the NT side of the border, and one for WA side. ExplorOz has done all the work for us - just click on the hyperlink on permits in the text and it will lead you to all you need to know about how to get the permits and where they are needed.

They are date specific; the NT gives you a three week time span - but must get through that section (Kata Tjuta to WA border) in one or two days. WA side is very date specific.

Spring Chicken
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 614587

Reply By: Holden4th - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:40

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:40
I did this in May 07. I stopped at Kal, Laverton, Warburton and then Curtin Springs. Yes, a bit of a rushed trip but the road is quite good. This was all at van parks/roadhouses but you can stop at the side of the road. Just remember, that your travel permits (you need two of them) don't allow you to travel very far from the main route.

It's a great drive with some spectacular scenery so enjoy it.
AnswerID: 346430

Reply By: Member - Jan B (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 20:08

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 20:08
Hi Di & Mark,
We will be travelling the Great Central Road commencing about the 14th of August 2009 Perth to Alice Springs.Will have just started our retirement so dates are flexible. We haven't travelled this road before so thought we maybe able to tag along with another vehicle if anyone is using the road at around the same time.
Cheers Jan & Peter
AnswerID: 346628

Follow Up By: Di&Mark - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 22:36

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 22:36
Hi Jan & Peter

Good to get your email we will be travelling the Great Central Road on the 8th August To the 10th August to Uluru.

Dianne
FollowupID: 614680

Follow Up By: Di&Mark - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 22:58

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 22:58
Hi Jan & Peter

Just another email to let you know that we have only 2 weeks holiday at the moment so don't know if that will be too quick a trip across the Great Central, we will be going 4x4 with a camper trailer.

Di
FollowupID: 614682

Sponsored Links