Booroloola to roper bar

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:05
ThreadID: 65499 Views:2303 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling up north in July August with 4wd carrying slide on's. We are hoping to travel the road from Boorollooa via nathan river, maria lagoon onto roper bar then Mataranka. Am aware it is 4 wd only but was wondering if anyone knows how slow the track is?? ie: deep river crossings?? massive erosion or piece of cake??

Thanks

Diane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rip64 - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:17

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:17
Did the Eastern half of the Savannah, August 07(Darwin-Undara starting in Torquay, Vic).Some water crossings,none of any real depth, really a great drive, use the knowledge of locals (Police etc) and as per usual drive to the conditions (A little slower = alot safer)
AnswerID: 346422

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:29

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:29
I drove it in August 2008 towing my Campomatic.
The road out of Borroloola is reasonably slow up to Nathan River as there are lots of small creek crossings or steep dips. I guess 50-60Kmh would be as high as you would average.
I recommend camping at Lorella Springs as it is quite a nice camping area with a beautiful hot spring, but the 30km track in is very corrugated unless the shire has graded it.
Butterfly springs I found a bit disappointing as National Parks has put in heaps of those log fences.
From Nathan River north there are some quite good bits that were graded last dry, but then there are some very corrugated bits also, but I think the average would be up quite a bit to 70-maybe 80 Kmh.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 346426

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:40

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:40
Some pics here
Gulf slide show

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 346431

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 21:24

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 21:24
Diane,

We travelled that road in mid August last year. From Borroloola to Roper Bar was very slow going until near the Nathan River Ranger Station and then the grader had been working so it was good.

We went in to Lorella Springs and agree that its a very nice place to camp for a couple of days. We also went in to both the Southern and Western Lost Cities (need the key from the Ranger at Nathan River for the Western).

One place that was fantastic was Poppy's Pools - you can google it for more info. Its on Bauhinia Station between Cape Crawford and Lorella Springs. Only one group per 24 hrs is allowed in so you have it all to yourselves. It's a beautiful place with hot pools, waterfalls, big pool, boats to row across to the falls. It's lovely.

We had no troubles with the river crossings and where the road is bad it's just the usual rocky sections and corrugations.

Have a good trip

Viv
AnswerID: 346447

Reply By: Blaze (Berri) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 02:04

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 02:04
Hi Diane,

If there is no rain which you should be the case in July, this part of the Savanah Way is a as you say a piece of cake, run tyres around 28 to 30lb and you shouldn't have any problems.

Take a look at the Southern Lost City, the Butterfly Springs and if you want to do some fishing try Limmen Bight.

Great piece of our country.
AnswerID: 346509

Reply By: Diane - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 19:54

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 19:54
Thank you all for your input, very helpful. Its fantastic to get some info from people who have been up there. Another querie as our slideon height will be approx 3 metres, is there any over growth over the roads that we need to be aware of??

AnswerID: 346623

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 16:30

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 16:30
Nothing on the road I can remember, with wheel and Jerry cans etc I would be close to that measurement. Some camping spots on some of the rivers may need care amongst the tree's to get a spot to setup
FollowupID: 614779

Sponsored Links