coi tents

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 18:09
ThreadID: 6552 Views:2801 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
does anyone know anything about coi tents?are they any good or stear clear of them thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mark - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 18:41

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 18:41
I won't tell you to steer clear of them, but have a good look at the differences between a southern cross and the coi.

cheers mark
AnswerID: 27771

Reply By: Rosco - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 19:53

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 19:53
Coi is a brand name for Primus, I picked up the standard square centre pole tent on a $200 reduction. Looks just like many others such as the previously mentioned Southern Cross. We have done a few weekends and 2 big trips in it this year, 1st (Broken Hill/Murray and surrounding NP's) with 3 (2 adult sized and 1 teenager) complete with stretchers, and then recently Fraser with 2. Tent only takes a few minutes to set up and operated perfectly. Heavy canvas and zips. Took heavy winds and rain on without a blink. 3 stretchers is uncomfortable but perfect for 2. Advertised as sleeping 4, picture shows 4 on the ground but must be with narrow mats and pygmies !! I wanted something that erected in minutes, could be stored in the car, handle heat, cold and wind and would last for 10 years. My tent so far is on track, just wish it was a little bigger.

Happy camping ..
AnswerID: 27783

Reply By: tristjo - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 01:17

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 01:17
Bob,

Mate, in short, they are BLOODY FANTASTIC!!!!! Had a C.O.I Lightining for 4 years now, have used 100 or so times, and it has NEVER let me down, and probably has 10 or 15 years left in it.

They are so much cheaper than some other brands, but the quality is exceptional. Go have a look at one, and you'll see what I mean.

Absoloutely no regrets here................

Tristjo.
AnswerID: 27833

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:43

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:43
Southern Cross are the Bench mark, but you pay for that privlidge.

COI do a great job of supplying the same style of tent, at normally far cheaper prices.

It probably comes down to 2 things . . . budget . . . and uses.

If budget no object . . . buy a Sth Cross. If you use it a couple of times each and every month . . . buy a Sth Cross (hey, the Tour Co's cant ALL be wrong).

If budget IS an issue, and you use it a couple of times a Year . . . the COI tents will do a fine job.

PS, there some other canvas tent makers that make similar. Simon Heard Canvas also makes touring tents. Not sure of his prices though ???
AnswerID: 27849

Reply By: brooksy - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 14:13

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 14:13
Have a COI centre post tent. Same as other replies. Heavy canvas, waterproof and robust. Half the price of Southern Cross and just as good.

Brooksy
AnswerID: 27879

Sponsored Links