information on camper trailers, types and availability wanted

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 19:16
ThreadID: 65577 Views:4121 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Im looking at buying a second hand camper trailer, and want information on them, and where to get them, and a good make and model.

Cheers for now.....William H ...from ....Bunbury wa.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 19:19

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 19:19
Take your pick of the ones in the EO Trader

Make and model depends on where you want to go with one.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 346936

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 19:32

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 19:32
William, maybe you should narrow it down a bit, there are literally hundreds of different, makes models & configurations.

Maybe for starters, do you want spend $2000.00 or $50,000.00?

Good makes are:

Track
Kimberley
Australian Offroad Campers
Ultimate
Pioneer
Cape York
Trak Shak
Aussie Swag

etc, etc, etc, etc .......
AnswerID: 346938

Follow Up By: Member - William H (WA) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 19:40

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 19:40
Thank you Sir Kev and Shaker.

Around 8,000 dollars for this one,

Cheers for now. william h
FollowupID: 615042

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 20:07

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 20:07
Suggest you look at late model used Tambo Cooper.
FollowupID: 615045

Reply By: oz doc - Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 19:40

Saturday, Jan 31, 2009 at 19:40
Hi William, as previously stated- the range in type,price and quality is quite large. The caravan and camping show at Belmont Racecourse on March 19th would be a great starting point. There will be a lot of campers exhibited and you can see them in the flesh - side by side, ask all the questions you want and pick up pamphlets on all their specifications. Then once you know what you are looking for, you can look out for a good second hand deal in the papers or online.Cheers, doc.
AnswerID: 346939

Reply By: Wayne David - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:07

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:07
Hi William H (WA),
First up let me say that you have definitely come to the right place with your enquiry. There are some very good folk on here with loads of experience & knowledge on camper trailers, who I'm sure will help you all that they can.

As a relative new chap to the art of Camper Trailing (is there such a word?), I don't know much at all but I'm willing to learn and I am slowly learning as I go. Or so I believe.

Perhaps my advantage is that I clearly remember the position that you are now in.

The tip about going to camping shows is spot-on.

Next thing I'd advise is don't rush your decision. Do your research and listen to those with greater experience than yourself.

I'm going to pop down some places where I've looked at 2nd hand units. But first I'm going to plug what I consider should almost be mandatory and that is Training Courses.

If you do not have experience towing, reversing, hitching, checking, maintaining, etc, etc, a camper trailer, please consider a training course. I'm now booked in to do one and as they say there's no one worse than a reformed anything.......and in this case that's me.

Okay here's the sites I'd recommend:
1. As mentioned already this site (exploreoz.com) has a trader section.
2. http://www.rvpoint.com.au
3. Trading Post; and
4. http://www.campertrailers.org - this is the web site for Australian Off Road Campers but they actually have members who have On Road units and caravans. They have a very good Trader Section too.

Hope that helps.

Cheers - Wayne David ......and Happy Trails
AnswerID: 347008

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:41

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:41
Some very good advice there Wayne.... well done!

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 615127

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 11:21

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 11:21
Just a couple more things to ponder.......... (turns out to be a longish post...)

1. Where do you intend to take the camper? I categorize traveling routes as the following:
Highway and bitumen roads
Good, smooth wide, fast dirt or gravel roads
Dirt/gravel roads with corrugations
Narrow winding tracks with washouts
Steep mountainous country (+/- mud/bogholes)
Sand/beach driving
"Offroad" (aka - untracked territory, through deserts)

A high quality "offroad" model as others have mentioned will do most if not all of these types of tracks, but with varying strain on the towing vehicle. The harder. more corrugated, steeper tracks will ensure more ongoing maintenance is required to the trailer and vehicle. I won't get into the independent v leaf spring and shockers v no shockers debates. You will need to work out this one yourself with lots of research and your general 'feeling'.

2. How much do you value your 'home comforts'? Fancy extras cost money and for similar dollars you may be able to buy a more basic model, but more robust. Lots of fancy extras often create more things to break and increase maintenance if used heavily on very rough corrugated roads.

3. Do you value VERY quick setup (ie hard floor) or do you prefer increased storage capacity for largish family? Mostly, the hard floor campers have less storage space than the side-fold soft floor ones and the hard floor (often) have less tent space for extra beds or stretchers for kids etc.

In my situation, I have a growing family and wanted lots of storage space, the capacity to leave the thing in a 'ready-to-go' type setup; very solid chassis - fully galvanized to prevent rust; solid and proven suspension system that would not shake the cr@p out of all my gear (and without having to lower the campertrailer tyres on corrugated roads more than is normally accepted as this heats up tyres too much and WILL reduce their life and potentially increase risk of blowout and the resultant damage that may be caused). I also wanted one that was built near where I live for after sales service (particularly advice), a solid company that has been around for a while with a good reputation etc. Solid reliable canvas and canvas contruction with appropriate ventilation and flyscreens; innerspring matress (foam just doesn't last from what I've seen, though there are some better options these days); fully articulated 'offroad' coupling; capacity to carry a couple of jerry cans; water tank; solid jockey wheel; plus a few other little bits and pieces.

To get all this in a QUALITY built camper was out of my budget new, so I went to the used market. There are heaps around and it just a matter of looking around for a little used one with what yu want and within your budget. I felt that the value in a good quality second hand unit was better than the cheaper ones bought new as they will soon be second hand (after the first outback trip!). I also felt that with a high quality unit it was less likely to bust something major and hopefully the little problems were sorted by the previous owner.

SO far I have been happy with my purchase. Like anything it is a compromise to some extent as I find if I do trips where I am on the move everyday to get somewhere distant, the setup and pack up gets a bit tedious. A caravan or faster setup hard floor camper would be better for this, but when I get to where I'm going, I appreciate the extra space and load carrying capacity mine has, thus a compromise.

I am confident mine will go anywhere I want to take the car, with the exception of very steep high country tracks. Whilst I have no doubt the trailer would cope with the situation, I feel it is too much strain for the car - engine, transmission and running gear. I simply change the way I do these trips, by setting up a little 'base camp' for a few days and do day trips to see the area, then repeat process. I feel it's better for the family this was as they get more time relaxing around the camp, rather than the perpetual setup/packup routine.

This shows a storage option on my camper and I can safely say that nothing has ever broken in these lockers over some fairly corrugated roads....testament to great suspension setup IMO.

I'm not really pushing one brand over another as there are just so many options around, depending upon preference for inclusions, suspension type, budget, size, ease of setup/packup, etc.

Good luck in your hunt. You will have many good times touring in a campertrailer, if you need the capacity to get 'off the beaten track'. If I wanted to stick to bitumen roads and/or the best of the smooth gravel roads for short distances, I would get a caravan. For everything else, it's hard to go past a solid campertailer.

Cheers,

Mark

AnswerID: 347018

Reply By: Sigmund - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 20:52

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 20:52
As posted you need to be clear about what you want to do with one.

There are a lot of variations, eg. in suspension, hitches, electrics, storage, tent arrangements and so on.

You may find it worth buying a copy of Rivers, book, The Camper Trailer Book.

Good luck with your research.
AnswerID: 347151

Reply By: oz doc - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 21:31

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 21:31
Hi William - If I can just ad another comment- please don't be afraid to hire before you buy. In my opinion, even at second had prices, camper trailers are a considerable investment. We all have different wants and needs when we go camping. In most cases- if you have never been camping in a camper trailer - it is impossible to know what features will be really important to you and what will be really annoying/restricting problems. Many companies have hire campers and this is a great way to really get to know what you are looking for in a camper. Cheers. doc.
AnswerID: 347165

Sponsored Links