GU Barn Door - If you have a dog disconnect the Inside Lock

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 09:36
ThreadID: 65586 Views:2633 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Thought I'd pass on a small drama we had with our 5 mth old Boxer and the GU barn door on a recent trip to Frys Hut.

Our GU has a set of side by side drawers in the back along with a fridge slide on one side, a centre divider and a cargo barrier. Our dog travels on one side which happens to be the side with the inside door handle and lock.

We arrived at Frys Hut in 40 degree heat only to find that the dog had lent against the inside handle which engaged the lock. Unlike the passenger doors the rear inside lock does not engage / disengage with the central locking however the barn door does lock and unlock with the central locking when the inside latch is open. Result, one hot puppy that had locked himself in the back!. After much angst we finally managed to get a pole through the cargo barrier to flick the lock open.

We have since removed the rear skin and disabled the internal lock switch so it cannot happen again. If you have barriers / centre dividers like us and carry anything in the back that can move and engage the lock I would recommend disabling the lock.

Hopefully this post may prevent the angst we went through for some other GU owner!

BTW, if you are ever passing through Bonnie Doon and like a good hamburger, go to the Roadhouse - they make the best hamburgers we have ever had anywhere in Aus. The Serenity burger is amazing! They also do rib eye steak sandwiches which are just awesome!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Time - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 09:42

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 09:42
My GU IV rear barn door unlocks using the key (in the lock) when the door has been locked from the inside, seems strange that yours wouldn't. Maybe different models do it differently.
AnswerID: 347000

Follow Up By: Moggs - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 09:50

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 09:50
Mine is a 99 Series 1 4.2TD with after market central locking and alarm (Cobra). We tried the key and it wouldn't budge. Maybe there is something wrong with our rear lock, however it works ok with the central locking. Maybe mine is a one off issue but I reckon it is worth other GU owners checking if it is an issue for them as we were contemplating which was the cheapest window to smash lol!
FollowupID: 615119

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:36

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:36
Ours unlocks with the key too, maybe it is something to do with the aftermarket work.

We have a 99 model as well.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 615199

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:00

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 10:00
The small one $880 fitted and tinted. The large one $1200! The side one $2000!
AnswerID: 347005

Follow Up By: Moggs - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 22:06

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 22:06
Ouch! Glad I didn't go down that path!
FollowupID: 615310

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 11:14

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 11:14
We have had the same thing happens Moggs (with kids in the back seat) and unlocked the door with the key rather than climb over the back seat. But its a good message mate.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 347017

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 11:39

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 11:39
Hi Moggs

At the EO Nat Gathering in 2007 the weather was inclement and so the furry child was left in the XTrail with one window open to let in enough air but still keep the rain out........ Someone had removed the ignition keys and put them on the front seat. Dog was moving around inside and stepped on the remote locking tab. It took some skill with a loooong wire to get to the keys!! Lesson learnt.

The rear door key hole and mechanism sometimes becomes cluttered with dust and is difficult to operate.

Cheers
AnswerID: 347023

Follow Up By: Moggs - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 22:07

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 22:07
Hey Willem, I thought that there might be crap in the rear door. I was very surprised when I took the skin off to find it clean as the day it was made in there!
FollowupID: 615313

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 13:59

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 13:59
Good advice

Have had a similar problem although not a dog, just an errant suitcase that had slipped back against the lock.

Took some fancy gymnastics thru the holes in the cargo barrier to drag the suitcase back off the lock so we could open the door.

BTW can you actually "disconnect" the lock???
AnswerID: 347047

Follow Up By: Moggs - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 22:08

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 22:08
Hi Michael, yes you can disconnect the lock. Just take the skin off the door, peel back the plastic and slide out a 3 inch metal bar that operates the locking mechanism from the inside of the door.
FollowupID: 615314

Reply By: Member - John & Sally W (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 14:23

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 14:23
Hi Moggs,
Happened to our 100 series cruiser too. Rocker lock "locked" by a back pack that had fallen against it. Rear side windows only open a couple of inches. Cargo barrier and rear drawer system in place. Kids little ugly stick fishing rod through the cargo wire came in handy. Many cups of tea later to try and calm the situation and a little job removing the lock rod to "fix" it permanently. Can still be central locked from the outside.
Sally.
AnswerID: 347053

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:41

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:41
This sort of thing happened to me with the Disco. The load shifted and a piece of it landed on the push down latch. Other stuff on top of it made it difficult to get the offending piece off the latch.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 347071

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:11

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:11
G'day Moggs,

Thanks for the heads up. I just went and checked both my 2000 and 2001 GU's and they both can be locked from the inside and the key will not open from the outside in the rear door. One big difference between my two and yours though, the central locking button on the drivers door when pressed to lock then unlock will unlock the rear door. Sounds like yours would not do this, is this right? Did you try to lock and unlock all doors by putting the key in the drivers door and locking then unlocking this way?

My two have a multitude of ways to unlock the rear door but just not with a key in the back door.

Cheers, Trevor.
AnswerID: 347084

Follow Up By: Moggs - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 22:06

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 22:06
Hi Trevor, central locking or the key in any door definitely didn't work for our rear door. The button on the armrest didn't do it either. I reckon the aftermarket central locking with the alarm has somehow by-passed the rear internal lock.
FollowupID: 615309

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 08:17

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 08:17
"I reckon the aftermarket central locking with the alarm has somehow by-passed the rear internal lock"

I reckon you might be right Moggs. Do you still have the factory remote central locking device? try this is you do, just for curiosity.

Good luck with it and I am glad it worked out OK for your furry friend's sake.
Trevor.
FollowupID: 615336

Follow Up By: Member - David K (VIC) - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 09:19

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 09:19
I haven't had that problem with my Cruiser but did have our dogs bleep ter the side quarter window. They wanted to say hello to a friendly looking Jack Russell, who was standing there with his owner looking at the dogs when we left the car unattended. We were aware this could happen and on Wednesday we will have a rear cargo cage installed. This fits inside of the tail gate allowing us to open the rear of the vehicle with the dogs secured until we open the hinged door in the barrier. To prevent damage to the windows and yes they are expensive. There will be a cage joining the original rear barrier and the newly installed rear cargo cage preventing them banging on the windows. I mention this as a rear cargo cage would keep your dog from accessing the handle. The work was carried out by Colin at www.puppybars.com he is in Ferntree gully. Plenty of photos on his website. Hope this helps.

Dave
FollowupID: 615339

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 09:26

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 09:26
Dave, for Moggs I was thinking of an easy fix to prevent the same thing happening but did not say it until now as it is along the same lines as your thoughts.

Moggs, you have the centre divider seperating your dog and your beer fridge don't you? If so, dump the dog in the drivers side of the car and the fridge in the passenger's side. The dog cannot then "accidentally" lock the rear door as it is on the wrong side of the car to do so. Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers guys,
Trevor.
FollowupID: 615341

Follow Up By: Moggs - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 18:37

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 18:37
Nah, cannot put the dog on the other side of the divider as the space is made for the fridge and has the slide incorporated into the drawer top. There wouldn't be enough room for him there. Doesn't matter now though, have disabled the inside locking mechanism so it cannot happen again.

Dave, Colin at CJ4WD made and installed the centre divider. He does great work at a good price. Have thought about a full cage - maybe something for down the track.
FollowupID: 615439

Sponsored Links