How to tell if the danfoss is buggered in my evakool

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 14:22
ThreadID: 65597 Views:12315 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I hope they new year is treating every one well.

My evakool wont start (flashing 3 times on the fault light.)

I called evakool and they said compressor probably stuffed, not worth fixing as will cost almost same as a new one and if get any other fridgies to fix will cost even more because they cannot buy the compressors as chaep as them.????

It is about 8 years old and is used about 4-6 weeks / year so had say 40 weeks use????

It did show a fault light one other time before we started a trip a couple of yras ago but then suddenly started and has not faulted since.

It is very hot at present (42 + last few days) and so i feel possibly head pressure higher than usual for start up??
Or is it just going to let me down soon any way even if it does start when the weatehr cools off?

I left it on yesterday and found it had started and come down to temp, but then i turned it off and then 10 min later on aagian and went to fault again.

Does any one have any tips or advice on how to determin the cause / problem and what the best solution is?
What are a new BF 30 (i think this is the comprsor model) worth?
Have they been improved in the last few years or are they still the same as what i i have?
What is an expected life span / running hours?

Kind regards
GN
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:25

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:25
Hi G N,
The Waeco book says (Waeco use the same compressor) the following,

"Three Flashes
Motor Start Error

If your error light is flashing three times every 5 seconds, the rotor may be blocked or the differential pressure in the refrigeration system is too high or a faulty compressor or faulty control module."

I'd look on the Waeco website for a repairer of their products near by. I've found most every fridgie that fixes one brand fix all brands of portable refrigeration.

Hope that helps,

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 347066

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:28

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:28
Oh, I left out a couple of thougts!

Based on this and the Waeco fault description,

"It is very hot at present (42 + last few days) and so i feel possibly head pressure higher than usual for start up??
Or is it just going to let me down soon any way even if it does start when the weatehr cools off? "

I'd guess this may well be what will happen,

"I left it on yesterday and found it had started and come down to temp, but then i turned it off and then 10 min later on aagian and went to fault again."

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 615196

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 21:15

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 21:15
Hi Geoff
Good tip for the waeco repair sites.

I get the cause of the 3 flashes of fault light below, but how do you rectify?
Plus this does not say compressor is buggered!

rotor may be blocked or the differential pressure in the refrigeration system is too high or a faulty compressor or faulty control module."

Turned it on again today when vehical hab been out in 43C sunn for 4 hours all closed up, must of been well over 50 in vehical and fridge started 1st go???????
Kind regards

GN
FollowupID: 615297

Reply By: Member No 1- Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:01

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:01
unless you have OEM purchasing powers (ie a pallett at a time) yep they are expensive to buy from th standard refrigeration component suppliers....however i know some refrigeration do get some particularly favourable pricing direct from Danfoss but you need to know who they are

in the interim , get a price from evakool and even waeco for a compressor

also get you local fridgie to get a price from aire fridge australia in your state on the ACC DC compressor (at a guess I'd say comprable unit) which should fit
AnswerID: 347076

Reply By: stephen looking - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:08

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:08
GN how hot is the blue box that holds the compressor? i would try to give it a little more cool air/ air circulation.

Also if you can check the volts and current draw, if on batts put it on a 10a 12/24v power supply, from 240v.

I think it is pretty bleep poor from the bloke at evakool to say could be compressor, it is or it isn't.

Regards.......Stephen

AnswerID: 347082

Follow Up By: Notso - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:44

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:44
If you can I'd also check the voltage getting through the fuse in the unit as well,

I had something similar in mine and ended up bypassing the internal fuse as it was showing a large voltage drop after the fuse.

Since put in a blade type and had no more problems.

Similar symptoms to yours motor wouldn't turn over.
FollowupID: 615231

Follow Up By: stephen looking - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 17:22

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 17:22
Notso thats interesting did you measure your current draw prior and after?

I was also looking at putting a fan in between the freezer and fridge section as i found it takes a while to cool, as the fridge has a 5 year warranty (danfross 5.6 years compressor to evakool) i don't want to stuff around with the blue box, also got to think of a good fan to use inital thoughts was cmputer fan but the fridge enviroment is a little different.

cheers......Steve

FollowupID: 615238

Follow Up By: Notso - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 17:30

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 17:30
Didn't measure the current draw but the voltage was dropping to around 10 volts when the compressor tried to start.

When it wasn't trying to start the voltage was battery volts, around 13 volts.

When I bypassed the fuse in held up around the 12.5 when the comp was running.

I was out the back of Leigh Creek when it happened and I found a big hill and called Eva Kool but it was a public holiday so left a message.

They rang me back a couple of days later and I told em what I'd done, they said that's what they were going to tell me to do, I sort of assumed they must have known it was a problem.

I've had mine since 2000 and it's never given any problems since the fuse issue.
FollowupID: 615242

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 21:19

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 21:19
Thanks notso + stephen

I recon this sounds worht a try. like i said it has happened once before.
when i called evakool they also siad they put in a new wiring loom when they change the compressor! hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mine is also about a 2000 model with the white fibreglass cover.

Will let you know how i go, might be a few days til i get time.

Thanks
GN
FollowupID: 615299

Reply By: trainslux - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 10:08

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 10:08
Hey mate,

might be worth a try to check here, and get their test page a and b.
Let us know how you go.

http://coldtechnology.com.au/index.html

Trains

AnswerID: 347208

Follow Up By: trainslux - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 10:14

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 10:14
And here too
http://www.fixmyfridge.co.uk/manual/54

Interpreting Test Results
1 flash LOW VOLTAGE, check the electrical connections as detailed above.
2 flashes Fan error (the fan is drawing more than 1 Amp)
3 flashes Compressor start error (normally indicates that the control unit is faulty)
4 flashes Compressor overload (contact us directly to confirm possible cause)
5 flashes Electric overload (again contact us to confirm)

just google test page a bd35 repair of danfoss etc.

Trains
FollowupID: 615346

Reply By:- Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 09:34

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 09:34
G'day Bud,

Could you please give me a call so that I may help you sort out the fault with your unit.

Ph: 07.5492.7777
Mbl: 0414.925.533

Thanks mate,

Regards,

Rod Miles
National Manager
Evakool
16 Enterprise Street
Caloundra
QLD. 4551
AnswerID: 347356

Follow Up By: PandJ - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 13:54

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 13:54
Hi Rod,

Well I for one appreciate you offering to help one of your clients.

I also own a old Supakool ( in perfect condition) that had the compressor changed to Danfoss in 2006.

Back in May 2008 I had a similar problem with mine, and was in touch with your warranty man and was told to take to service centre to have checked.

In August I took it to Atlanta Refrigeration and had to pay $55-00 because they could not fault it. Could it be the same sort of problem in mine as well ? This fuse problem I am referring to as mentioned above.

A reply would be appreciated thanks.

Regards P&J
FollowupID: 615698

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:31

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:31
G'day P&J

Thank you for you email but I'd need to talk with you to try and help.

My contact details are:

Ph: 07.5492.7777
Mbl: 0414.925.533

Thanks mate,

Regards,

Rod Miles
National Manager
Evakool
16 Enterprise Street
Caloundra
QLD. 4551

Thanks mate.
FollowupID: 615834

Follow Up By: trainslux - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 16:48

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 16:48
And this type of service only confirms my choice of buying an Evakool once funds permit.

Well done Rod.

Trains
FollowupID: 615899

Reply By: Member - G N (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 21:38

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 21:38
Hi all
(can someone please tell me if just one reply on here will get to all those who reponded to this post? or do i need to reply to each person?)

1 sorry for the slow response to the help i have recieved, but it have been very busy here with the serious heat. Many thanks to all those who sent me ideas and info and i will keep this for any time i might ever have problems again.

2 A big Thank you to Rod Miles for his great help. It has also made me a very happy person to deal with this company.

When i contacted Rod he sugested to take the cover off the compressor and give it a good blow out, i did this and it has started every time since!
Rod put me onto his fridge mechanic who said the problem could be the electronic box, so we will replace this as the new ones also have less "noise" through the radio etc.
He also said the fuse volt drop issues were only from the last 18 mths or so as they had trouble in sourcing quality fuses and have now gone to a curcuit breaker to fix this issue.

So fridge is running but also will fit new electonic box incase it faults again.
Also will do a yearly dust blow out of the compressor area.

Thanks agian
GN

AnswerID: 348057

Sponsored Links