Hella Plug for a Waeco

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 14:40
ThreadID: 65599 Views:4404 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have a Waeco fridge.

I have both a cigarette lighter plug and a hella plug connected to a dual battery.

From my hunting around I believe the hella plug to be a better connection =is that true?

I know you can take the red knob of the plug and use it in a hella plug but when I do this I find that it is loose and not a good fit.

I have an extra lead for the fridge and am going to replace the plug with a hella plug which fits better. Doing this will free up the cigarette plug for other things.

I note the standard Waeco cigarette plug has a fuse in it but the hella doesn't.

My question = is it worth converting to a hella plug - are they worth it??

Thanks in advance,
Richard.

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 14:56

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 14:56
Richard. I went the 12v Plug and socket for mine. I have found these to be foolproof and mount them to plug all my accessories in to as long as they are not in the open. Link to Item Page Follows:

Site Link

Link To Plug

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 347059

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:05

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:05
Yes the Hella style plugs do provide a better electrical connection. I use one for my Waeco all the time.
AnswerID: 347062

Reply By: Cram - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:20

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:20
I chopped the end off mine and attached a anderson plug...fool proof connection
AnswerID: 347065

Reply By: Lucko - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:28

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:28
Richard. The plugs you mention are also known as Merrit (spelling) plugs. In my view a far better plug and socket arrangement. Inserting the plug into the socket 'wipes' both +ve and -ve connections ie. self cleaning. The ciggy plug is hopeless, especially when running over a period. The center +ve connection is a spring loaded contact that if not clean causes the plug to get very hot. I have standardised on these plugs for quite a few years now for all my 12 plug-ins. Available through Jaycar under the Merrit name.

Mark
AnswerID: 347068

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:53

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 15:53
Agreed that the Waeco multimode plug gets very wobbly in Hella mode - its a pity that Waeco supply a wriggly plug on a lead with sig voltage drop - ah well, musn't grumble... we press on with a sigh. Where practical, I use the stand-alone Hella plugs - not everyone has them - Autopro seems the best supplier in my region. Agreed re the Merit plug comment above - seems to be the same pattern. See.............
{ http://jaycar.com.au/productResults.asp?FORM=CAT ] Cat number PP2090. A solid, no wriggle plug when employed.
AnswerID: 347072

Reply By: richard - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:03

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:03
To all,
Thanks for the comments.

I did buy the extra waeco cable so I could do this.

I bought a hella plug from Jay Car or something like that awhile ago.

Pity Waeco don't give you the option of plugs as their leads are relatively expensive.

Any way looks like worth pursuing.

Richard
AnswerID: 347078

Reply By: DesF - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:52

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 16:52
Hi, i have mounted Hella plugs ( mounted directly from the battery & fused through out the Paj as the lighter plugs are unreliable and come loose, I made up a short lead and fitted a good quality lighter plug on one end and Hella to the other, then I cleaned thoroughly and connected the fridge lead and taped it securely ,
That way if I need to use the fridge in a standard car or have trouble I can always revert back to the lighter socket.
Has been like that since 95 and no probs.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 347089

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 21:39

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 21:39
This has been talked about before but.....I have followed advice from here and have extended the lead with 6mm2 .....joined( soldered ) at the fridge end plug and replaced the crappy Waeco plug with a Jaycar plug( has an earth ring all the way round ) and added an inline fuse ( spade type .7.5A ).....
Best $12 investment I ever made ....
AnswerID: 347167

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)