camper van - correct way to put up

Submitted: Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 00:32
ThreadID: 65625 Views:3312 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Recently purchased a Goldstream Star ( circa 2000 ) camper van, just wondering if anyone can point to the correct way to put it up. The issue I'm having is one end is very tight, almost impossible to get the canvas over the bed frame, the other end is reasonably tight, certainly not loose, so I don't think its just that the canvas has been pulled to one end.

The only way I could do it this afternoon (in the high 30's heat, not sure if the canvas contracts in heat?) was to do place the canvas over the bedframe, then raise the support bars from inside, this put quite a bit of pressure on the canvas as I was doing it though, so not sure if this is right.

The bloke I purchased it from said to put the support bars up first I think.

Am I risking tears by putting the canvas over the frame first?

Any suggestions ( or even better, the official manual? assuming there is one?) greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Matthew Watson.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: meerkat - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 10:23

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 10:23
Hi Matthew, I don't have the goldstream but it operates the same way as my Jayco Eagle. The canvas can sometime be a bit tight to get over the bed and this can usually be rectified as long as the beds are not pushed out too far. By this I mean that sometimes after a little wear and tear the beds start to droop making it difficult to get the canvas over. I believe you should push the beds out 90%, then pull the canvas over the beds. Extend the beds out the remaining 10%, insert the external support bars, then raise the internal support bars, followed by affixing the velco undersides.
Hope this helps. Also suggest you visit the goldsteam website to see if they have the manual online or contact them to get one.
AnswerID: 347214

Reply By: HGMonaro - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 14:04

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 14:04
we put it up they way you have... depending on how the canvas it sitting (step 3) it can make step 4 harder to push up.

1. pull bed end out
2. install bed supports
3. pull canvas over bed end
4. push roof support up
5. tighten bungy cord over clips
AnswerID: 347234

Reply By: PradOz - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 16:18

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 16:18
Hi Matthew - possible causes may include:

canvas shrinkage - could be a big repair job, but i think unlikely due to age of camper;

bent bed rails - sight the bed rails before and after you place the support poles under the beds to see if the beds sag down when they are pulled out. if sagged severely they may need straightening or replacing. usually caused by someone getting on beds before the support poles underneath the beds go in;

or sagging chassis on door side if the problem is at the rear only - you could check the gap on the vertical edge of door on the handle side between door edge and van body. it should be even. if rear is sagging down the gap will be wider at top of door. i would check this with rear leg up first then down. check if winding it further down to lift the rear corner helps with canvas - obviously only if its the rear bed that is problem.

Maybe worthwhile getting yourself a copy of this Service Book that you can refer to. They are available for all makes but the Jayco one will suffice if you cannot get goldstream.

putting the camper up is simple enough as per posting above. Just need to ensure you pull canvas out and over corners and caution how you hold it if the canvas thread is perishing as it can tear here.

I have the service repair manual if you are in south west sydney otherwise suggest you buy one. price in 1997 was $35 so advertised price seems fair enough to me. good luck with it....
AnswerID: 347255

Reply By: Matt Watson - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 16:40

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 16:40
Thanks all, some things for me to check out.

I should point out, its most tight on the rear right hand side ( from the rear ).

AnswerID: 347262

Reply By: PradOz - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:42

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:42
Matt

Have a look at this link below to Jayco and click on OWNERS HANDBOOK under OWNERS COMMUNITY at top.

You will then be able to download the owners handbook which has the correct procedure for setting up a camper and should be ok for yours too as they are all very similar. It will probably help you as it says to fit the canvas first over the bed ends.

Look at pages 17 and 18 (from memory)

Jayco Owners Handbook

Good luck...
AnswerID: 347315

Follow Up By: Matt Watson - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:09

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 22:09
Thats PradOz, thats exactly what I was after, seems to confirm that the "correct" way to do it, is canvas around bed, then roof supports.

FollowupID: 615477

Follow Up By: PradOz - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 08:00

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 08:00
Reason they would say to do canvas first, is to minimise the risk of tearing the canvas at the corners. Once the canvas is over the edges, you fit the bed supports and by pushing out against the elastic bungy cord there is less stress all round but is still under some tension - as long as when you lift up canvas inside all is ok.
FollowupID: 615513

Sponsored Links