Trailers

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:48
ThreadID: 6563 Views:3322 Replies:10 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
My partner and I are thinking of travelling around Australian for a year and like the look of the camper trailers. Can anyone recommend a company to go through? I live in Melbourne. Also, hire or buy?

Any thoughts would be greatly welcomed.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: murranji - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:14

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:14
I have a track trailer Tvan and can recommend them for a number of reasons.Go wherever vehicle goes [better suspension than vehicle].nothing overlooked in manufacture [stainless bolts,nylock nuts], very easy to erect, after sales you are still a person not a number,etc.
AnswerID: 27854

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 12:20

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 12:20
Chell, bit more info needed.

Budget ??
Hard floor . . . Soft Floor
Offroad (assumably) or onroad.

Just you & the partner ???
AnswerID: 27866

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 12:36

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 12:36
flappan,

We weren't really wanting to pay more than $10,000 for a trailer. We don't need a hard floor. The kitchen section and a bed are our main concerns. As long as we have that.

I assume we will be going offroad, so it will need to be suitable for that.

And yes, it will just be the two of us.
FollowupID: 19221

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 13:44

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 13:44
OK then.

I have just ordered an Adventurer Offroad Campertrailer from Simon Heard Canvas in Shepperton

http://www.simonheardcanvas.com.au/

I think the basic Adventurer starts at $6000. 13ft Tent, 7 ft Awning, rebound springs, offroad hitch. Then you can add your extras from there (water tank, kitchen, 12v system, annexe etc etc etc)

I ordered the optional 16ft tent, Couple of end walls, 12v system, and a few odds and ends for $7000. Stoked with that. I have a mate with one, been all over Aus, no probs. Know a couple of other people who have ordered from Simon and happy with their product and progress. He is also very easy to deal with, and is willing to deal, rather then just give you a price list and say "here's the price".

Another is Obriens Trailers

http://www.obrienstrailers.com.au/

He makes EXCEPTIONAL campers, but tend to a bit more expensive (around the $10 mark). Very good stuff though.

Doubt you will get a hard floor (even 2nd hand) for that type of money.

For a 12mth Trip, probably buying is the go. Customise it the way you want, and sell it on return. A good Trailer holds its value pretty well.

These are the 2 I have looked right into, as well as Jumbuck Campers in Newcastle. Plenty of others around . . . but these suited me.

best of luck
AnswerID: 27875

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 14:06

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 14:06
Flappan,

We had planned a trip to Shepparton to see Hall's campers, so will definitely call in on Simon Heard now too and see what he can do for us.

Thanks for the websites. In all the searches I have done, haven't come across either of the one's you mentioned.

Our usual bedding is a tent, so learning about the trailers is all very new & exciting, but also overwhelming.

Simon sounds like he is around our budget, so we will definitely drop in on him.

Thanks again for the info! Greatly appreciated.
FollowupID: 19231

Follow Up By: CirclingVulture - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 14:21

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 14:21
flappan

Which one did you get, that Eureka Hard Top, $6000 + extras nice ! Or do they make other models, No matter any that mob would make looks the goods.

Happy touring !
FollowupID: 19232

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 14:41

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 14:41
I got the Soft floor "Adventurer".

You can get a Deluxe Adventurer, and also the Hard floor Eureka.

The Hard floor wasn't for me, and the budget didn't stretch to the Deluxe. I think there is also another one, with all the extras. Didn't look into it though.

I didn't like the Halls trailers. I just thought the rear Kitchen look goofy . . . My Opinion only though. Didn't like em, so never checked the price out.
AnswerID: 27886

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 14:58

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 14:58
Only so much you can tell from the pics on the internet, so looking forward to checking them out in person.

Have you taken yours out yet flappan?
FollowupID: 19237

Follow Up By: flappan - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 15:17

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 15:17
Haven't taken delivery yet. Still a couple of weeks away.

If you see him, tell him Graeme from Canberra recommended them.
FollowupID: 19240

Reply By: Rod - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 15:20

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 15:20
Chell

Took a brand new camping trailer around oz in 2001 via Cape York, GRR, Bungle Bungles etc. The suspension was the weak point. Mine had leaf springs that lost their set and shackles and shackle bolts that wore out on a couple of times.

Also had wheel hubs develop fatigue cracks.

If I did it again, I'd consider an coil type of suspension, not leaf springs.

If you were going to stick to mostly back top, leaves would be fine. Take spares and do daily inspections.

Rod
AnswerID: 27890

Reply By: OzCamper - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 15:31

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 15:31
Thanks flappan, shall do!!

Have taken note of what you said Rod, thanks for that bit of info. Shall ask that question when I go around the showrooms, least that way it will sound like I know what I am talking about ;-)
AnswerID: 27891

Follow Up By: flappan - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 15:42

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 15:42
Not necessarily so though.

Coils are associated with Independant suspension. $1500 option ???

There's several different leaf spring set ups. the Standard Slipper springs (like the box trailer). Eye to Eye Springs, and something they call Rebound Leaf Springs. Apparently the Rebound Springs are the best things before you get tho Independant Suspension. (And thats what is on the Adventurer).

I would stay away from Slipper Springs for an offroad trailer. Eye to Eye and Rebound would be the choice.

I talked to Simon about this and his recommendation is to leave the Rebound springs (and not to even add Shockies) because the trailer weighs less then 750kg full loaded. Once you start getting over that weight, Leafs with Shockies, or Independant Suspension is what you start looking at.

For general use, Ind Sus is probably an expensive overkill. Hey, its not my money though . . .
FollowupID: 19245

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:00

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:00
Aaaagghhhh so much to know....lol.

Thanks flappan, you seem to know your thing. I shall definitely talk to Simon and see what he can recommend. It will be our home away from home for a year, so needs to be in good working order with the essentials without going overboard and having all the trimmings.
FollowupID: 19250

Follow Up By: flappan - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:06

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:06
I've been backwards and forwards so many times you wouldn't believe it.

Looked at these, and those, trying to sort out whats what.

At the end of the day, you would be hard pressed to get a "bad" trailer. Some just seem to be better then others.

Are Simon's BETTER then the others . . . . I don't know thats true . . . what I've found though is they were the best VALUE trailer I could locate (and I looked all over Aus). At the very least, go see him, talk to him, tell him what you want to do, and see what he says.

PS, How quick do you want or need the trailer. ?? The best place to compare trailers is at the Camping Shows. Don't know whats happening down in Vic though.
FollowupID: 19251

Follow Up By: flappan - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:08

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:08
Oh yeah, if you want to chat to me offline about these, email me at

flappan@hotmail.com

Rather then through here.
FollowupID: 19252

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:23

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:23
Plan on heading out Saturday to start the search for our home ;-)

So will get questions prepared to bombard Simon and any of the others we decide to check out.

Our deadline is June next year that we want to leave by, but the way I am at the moment, the aim is to leave Feb or March next year as can't wait much longer lol. I did check out the dates for the Camping shows and its not on in Victoria until late next year so will miss it.

If we can get a trailer by the end of this year, atleast we can go on a few camping trips with it to test run it before the big haul. That's the aim anyway.....

Have noted your addy down, thanks for that. I'm sure I will have more questions once we go out and see a few.
FollowupID: 19253

Reply By: Steve Mc - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:25

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:25
Murranji Just wondering do you have the Tanami draws under your bed in the T-Van if you do , What do you think of them?? You are spot on with T van one would be hard pressed to find a better built trailer anywhere with exceptional after sales service. Even when travelling one phone call & what ever is required is on its way, we blew a koni on our 6yr old Group 2 at Kalumburu a year ago.Got to Broome 3 days later a new set was there, mind you that was the only thing that went wrong in 6yrs so I cant complain.

Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 27902

Follow Up By: murranji - Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 11:39

Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 11:39
Steve ,I have not heard of the Tanami draws yet.Got some good plastic bins with little wheels one end which are doing the job well.Happy travel.Murranji
FollowupID: 19497

Reply By: Tom - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:37

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:37
Have noticed a few references to Simon Heard campers. I saw a Heard product in Wantirna South at Tambo Campers. Might save you a trip to Shepparton.

AnswerID: 27903

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:47

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:47
Tom

That's good news as that is one of the places on my list as its not far from where I live! Have been emailing the guy that runs the place and he has been most helpful.

Thanks for the tip!
FollowupID: 19255

Reply By: ian - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:49

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 16:49
Chell,
Getting back to your question. I would buy a new trailer, and sell it on my return. You will get almost all your money back. Hiring is very expensive.
From my observations on the road, and off the road, some of the campers mentioned do a good job, it just depends on your needs.

I, and my friends, are VERY happy with Tambo Campers in Wantirna.
TEL: 9561 8668. They also handle Simon Heard campers, so you don't need to go to Shepparton to see one.
You should check out Tambo. Then you can decide for yourself. They are not expensive.

The motor mechanic in Birdsville told me that there were only two brands of campers he had not had to weld back together at some stage: Tambo and Kimberley.

Ian

AnswerID: 27905

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 17:02

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 17:02
Ian,

Yes, I received a few quotes back today for hiring and nearly fell off my chair!! Purchasing does seem to be the way to go.

Shall definitely go and see Keith at Tambo's first. Then atleast I have Shepparton as a backup if we don't see what we want.

You guys have been a wealth of information today, thanking you all!! My boyfriend will be very proud of me with all the information I have acquired in one day :-)

This site is a great idea.

Cheers
Chell

FollowupID: 19257

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 09:19

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 09:19
Chell,
I have an Obrien trailer as mentioned in one of the replies, I've had the trailer for about three years now I'm more than happy with the quality and versitiity of this trailer, the sliding drawer in the Obrien is something I haven't found in any other camper trailer, this is a really good idea and I won't be selling mine to buy another trailer without one. Leaves, 80 litre water tank Orac coupling,awning etc etc Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 27990

Follow Up By: OzCamper - Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 15:14

Friday, Aug 15, 2003 at 15:14
Thanks for the reply Martyn, shall keep that in mind about the drawer!

Cheers
FollowupID: 19386

Sponsored Links