Robe SA beaches

Submitted: Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 10:53
ThreadID: 65632 Views:2739 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,

I am thinking of doing a trip to the beaches between Robe and Carpenter Rocks around the 18th Feb for a few days with my partner. Is it recommended that i should be doing this with atleast another 4wd or am i safe to do this on my own?
I have been there a couple of years ago and have a pretty well set up GU patrol ute.

Thanks
Brett
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Carl S (VIC) - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 14:19

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 14:19
Hi Brett
I have run and been on a quite a few trips to Robe and Carpenters rocks, whilst this can be done on your own, I would not recommend that you do, between Beachport and Carpenters rocks are some very nasty bits of sand driving, and if you get stuck which is very easy to do as the sand is incredibly soft, you could find yourself in a lot of bother, the Rangers down there will always tell you to keep to the inland track and stay off the beach, in saying that I recently did it with 8 other vehicles and we had great fun, but we do know what we are doing, the ideal number in my opinion is 3 vehicles, tyre pressures are the most important thing down there, we run ours between 12 and 15 and even lower when stuck, I have mine as low as 5 to get out and I have seen no air in the tyres believe it or not when stuck, not bogged just having some momentum, carry a good air compressor, long handle shovel, snatch straps ,sand flag most important and ask around the caravan parks if someone would like to join you, this is some of the best Beach driving anywhere in Australia and should not be missed, but be careful and have fun....
Make sure you visit the info centre in Beachport and get the maps supplied by Wattle ranges 4wd Club, gold coin donation most welcome
AnswerID: 347237

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 17:03

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 17:03
If you are good at reading the beach & tide conditions & are familiar with handling soft sand then you could drive it on your own as there are many that do. I wouldn't myself as it's too easy to get caught out. The 1st few beach's from the Robe end & the last one's towards Carpender's Rocks in particular are quite trecherous. Local fisherman pointed out to keep off beach's with alot of rubbish & seaweed in particular not that that is always the case. There are quite a few track options in the back beach which are still challenging but at least you car wont be washed away if you get stuck.
Have fun...Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 347263

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 01:18

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 01:18
Local fisherman pointed out to keep off beach's with alot of rubbish & seaweed in particular not that that is always the case.

Hiya Crackles

I watched a video where the seaweed was then covered by more sand so you could not see the seaweed,just a fine layer of what looked like firm sand over the top and down (4wd) she went..Now if you were by yourself you hav bucklys of getting out and if the tides on its way in you better hope your fully insured to the hilt...

Cheers
FollowupID: 615506

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 18:34

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 18:34
I concur what everyone else has said.

I recall getting down to about 13psi on my last visit to the area. Little Dip Conservation Park and the run from Nora Creina to Beachport is OK as long as you stick close to the dunes. I ran a tyre off a rim there once as I was down to 10psi with skinny tyres on splits. Some of the dune crossings are quite steep depending on how much the southerlies have carved them out the day before.

The beach from Beachport to Carpenters Rocks was extremely soft. I led a group along 7km of the beach and we were all very pleased to get off it. Two of our convoy decided not to let their tyres down lower than 20psi (cos they knew better) and paid the price with the shovel. We then drove along the sandy inland tracks and had an enjoyable journey to Carpenters Rocks.

I too suggest you travel with another vehicle or two.

Cheers
AnswerID: 347289

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 20:44

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 20:44
Brett

I was told by a Fisheries Officer down there that a $50,000 4WD looks spectacular rolling in the surf.

Go with others so that if you get in difficulty you have some assistance.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 347304

Reply By: brett patrol - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 08:21

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 08:21
Thanks for your responses everyone. I think it is a wise move to be safe than sorry...

thanks again.
Brett
AnswerID: 347350

Follow Up By: Member - AZOORC (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 17:22

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 17:22
Hi,
If you have sand / beach driving experience Robe to Beachport by yourself would be fine as long as you are prepeared to let your tyres down to 5psi or similar if in trouble.
Pherhaps some Maxtrax.
I have taken a fair few non experienced drivers through here start at 15psi straight away.
When on the beach stay high next to the dunes.
Agree with the others Beachport to Carpenters Rocks stay on the inland tracks.

Cheers
Paul.
FollowupID: 615576

Sponsored Links