5er Hitch safety issue.. UPDATE

Submitted: Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 14:52
ThreadID: 65638 Views:3162 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
The following has been posted on the CMCA forum by Collyn Rivers.

Quote:
"This issue is developing daily.

It is increasingly appearing that the issue is not confined (as previously suspected) to Australia and NZ. A recent example in the UK, where the trailer broke totally free, killed two people.

Regulator authorities around Oz have been informed. They are investigating. Right now they seem more interested in whether the hitches themselves break up - which they are less likely to do. But we are pressing them to take a wider view.

The lawyer involved is also currently seeking a total Australian recall of all vehicles with these hitches.

A class action is being considered but right now this seems unlikely.

I will have a short prelim report in the March Wanderer and a full report in April. This will include comments on the legal position. We will also ask the CMCA to post the full article asap on the CMCA website.

As a matter of ethics etc I am extending copyright of all that I write in this area to other websites and magazines worldwide on an explicit nderstanding that it is used unchanged and uncut, and fully acknowledged. Do note if it is wished to copy the CMCA's presentation then copyright must also be obtained from the CMCA.

I am increasingly concluding that this is not so much a faulty hitch issue as hitches of a specific type being used in unsuitable application.

There is for example unlikely to be any problem were a single oscillatory hitch to be used with an open (chassis only) fifth wheeler car trailer as that trailer would flex enough to cope with the imposed torsional forces.

People stlll continue to ask if such or such a single oscillatory hitch is safe.
This is totally missing the point. It is not the brand of hitch that is in issue - it is the way they transmit inevitably generated forces that associated vehicles were never intended to withstand.

One thing needs to be said strongly. This problem really does exists. Some trailer makers are alleged to be denying it is happening. The anecdotal and other evidence is now overwhelming - and will be documented in our forthcoming report.

They are either genuinely unaware of this issue. Or they are lying.

IF THE HITCH HAS EAST-WEST FREEDOM THRE ARE NO KNOWN ISSUES.
SO FAR AT LEAST THIS ISSUE APPEARS TO RELATE ONLY TO THOSE THAT ARE RIGID IN THE EAST-WEST PLANE.

Collyn Rivers
Director
Caravan & Motorhome Books
Broome "
UNQUOTE.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motohome

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 17:50

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 17:50
Collyn is a legend in my books, and knows his stuff. Just for my edificatuion what does CMCA stand for?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 347281

Follow Up By: DIO - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 18:04

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 18:04
CMCA - it's all HERE
FollowupID: 615422

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:16

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 21:16
Further post from Collyn Rivers onthe CMCA forum:

"John
I refer only to hitches that do not allow a rig to rock sideways. These are typically turntable and pin hitches. Thus not ball type hitches.

I appreciate that some do not understand the correct term single oscillatory. Can anyone advise if fifth wheel owners use any more commonly understood term.

Please ask any/all owners of affected vehicles to monitor this thread regularly. I shall be posting a legal position notice in next day or two.
Collyn "

Cheers,
Peter
AnswerID: 347311

Sponsored Links