Low life thieving scum

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 00:12
ThreadID: 65681 Views:4965 Replies:11 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone,
Just a timely warning. We are camped in a caravan park in Devonport. My wife went down the street at about 9:00pm while I put the girls in bed then watched a dvd in bed. ( Remember we are living in a camper trailer). Had my headphones on. I heard my 7yr old scream "DAD- someone just took mums handbag" I jumped up and ran outside yelling abuse. Lost him in the dark but found the handbag about 10 mtrs away(nothing missing, he didn't have time thanks to my daughter). Stood outside for a minute hurling abuse at the lowlife.
Went back inside to find 2 very scared girls. Youngest one is 5 and was shaking like a leaf. Rang the police who arrived 5 min later. My 7 yr old gave a description of the guy and the cop says he knows who he is from the description, he has done this before. Can't believe these scum bags. Spent ages with the girls trying to calm them down. Think my daughter scared the crap out of him when she screamed. Just goes to show how careful you have to be.
The handbag was sitting on the floor of the trailer beside my bed. Cause I had the head phones on I didn't hear a thing until Julia screamed.He reached in through the door and grabbed the bag. Julia told me she will now sleep with her eyes open so she can watch out. I didn't really care about the bag more so that he scared my girls, probably lucky I didn't catch him cause I think I would have killed him if I did I was so worked up. Anyway girls are asleep now and I have the hammer next to my pillow, incase any pegs come loose during the night and I need to hit into the ground. Pitty help him if I catch him.
Just thought I would let know, be careful, there are some real pathetic lowlife scum sucking slimebags out there. I going to do one last check around then call it a night, may not sleep much though.

Josh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 01:18

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 01:18
Hiya Josh

The mongrels here are the so called do-gooders i'm afraid...He'll only get a slap on the wrist if even he is caught,to much paperwork ..A judge jails a girl for spraying graffiti on a restaurant for three months,so what happens the do-gooders jump up and down,they dont want her jailed but most of the community wants tougher sentencing,her mother said jail her for 18 months..

Its about time the do-gooders stand up and be counted and supply there name and addresses so we can send all the scum to there place of residence (hoons as well)...

Hope your girls recover quick mate,i put mine in Kung Fu for last 3- 1/2 years,she just turned sixteen..Was doing 2 hours of Wing Chung and 2 hours of KickBoxing a week minimum..

Nup the boys only try there bravado once with her...

Cheers

During my 2 weeks going through half of China,Down dark alleyways and in general,getting cash out of atm's did i ever feel insecure,the answer is a big NO..

Can i say the same for my own country-Nup

AnswerID: 347469

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 06:00

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 06:00
Sad but its true, lowlife are not dealt with strongly enough I think too. If the police know who this person is then obviously whatever action has been taken int he past has had little effect.

In Singapore in the gardens there are a number of diorama depictions of consequence for crime. steal and they cut off your hands, maybe we should bring that back
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 615656

Follow Up By: Stu-k - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 20:21

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 20:21
Then we would have to support them...give them the chair i say
FollowupID: 615755

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 06:57

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 06:57
Hi Bonz, when my wife and I were in Singapore we had a couple of grand in cash but I didnt want to leave in the hotels safe so we took it with us everywhere, wife had half I had the other. When I was paying for a cab fair when I pulled the money out he noticed the amount of cash in my wallet, he said you should leave in motel incase I lose my wallet I said would rather have it on me, he said, if they steal from you in this country they in big trouble, and if they steal from you in this city, the police shut either end of the city down, no one comes in or out till they find the person. He said no hanky panky in Singapore you very safe. And how write he was, my wife and I walking everywhere, catching trains etc, not once did I feel threatened. I would go back tomorrow only killer over there is the humidity.

Hi Josh Glad to hear your girls have settled down luckily she screamed and you got the bag back but the main thing the girls wernt touched. If you did catch him I would have made sure he wasnt walking back out again and im sure their would have been plenty of places to dispose of the piece of rubbish. Total scum and as Warfer has said we have the doo goodgers to thank for the way this place is becoming, dont slap, teachers cant even put their arm around a little girl or boy in the school playgrounds now if they hurt themselves and you have the older kids telling the teachers to get fu%#ed. Would have had 6 of the best if I did that at school then the old man would have given me another lot when I got home. Maybe time to put them in some sort of self defence classes, main thing is your all ok can always replace a wallet/purse. All the best,

and girls your in dads safe hands so go out and enjoy all the 4wdriving and touring your doing with mum and dad, its some thing you will always remember and then tell your kids. All the best. WHG
FollowupID: 615985

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 14:55

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 14:55
There is a new movie coming out called IP Man Ip Man....Its a true version of Wing Chung,what my daughter does.She is about halfway along the belts.Its not a macho form where they yell and scream. Yip Man taught Bruce Lee also..Great movie couldn't wait and downloaded (naughty boy). It has a good storyline when the Japs invaded Shanghai in the early 40's and left in 1945 when we kicked there asses just like we should over whaling (If we had lost the war would we be telling them how we live..It really pees me off big time)..

Anyway goodluck mate..

Cheers
FollowupID: 616059

Reply By: skulldug - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 06:33

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 06:33
Josh,
Sorry to hear about your girls. At least the police reacted well. We had a similar experience in Normanville SA (no apologies for naming the town). Local kids stole our eski full of grog. The caravan park owner said it happens all the time and the police don't take it seriously.

The following night, I interrupted a kid taking beer out of the neighbour's Engel. Chased him off and called 000. The sergeant 50 km away said the local officer was off duty and he couldn't get a car there for an hour or so. I told him that the caravan park owner told be the local cop didn't follow these things up and that it was a regular event.

Next morning I get a call from the local cop - very agro because I had told his supervisor that he was a joke.

Anyway, next night I get up to the toilet and disturbed a kid asleep on the ground. He was so p!ssed he ran straight into the toilet block wall, got up and staggered off.

Next day when we were moving on I rang the cop and said "is that you with the speed camera in the main street?" It was him OK and he wasn't happy to hear the suggestion that he should get out of bed and solve the community's significant youth alcohol problems instead of pinging tourists doing 60km in a 50km zone. In a small town, all he needed to do was get to know the problem kids and where they hang out when they are on the grog.

Hope your copper does better than this one.

Skulldug
AnswerID: 347478

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 08:01

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 08:01
Thanks guys,
Girls are still fairly shaken in morning. Have be careful not to walk in without them knowing or they get a fright. The cops here were really good. They sent some plain cloths around during the night to keep an eye out. They saw how scared the girls were so they took it seriously. Petty I didn't catch him. It would have been him ringing the police asking for help. Well we are tying not to let it get to us but very frustrating, just glad he went home empty handed. If something like this happened to a politician there would be an outcry from them to lock him up. When will our judges stop being a joke and get serious about stopping these scum. Bring in public naming of repeat offenders I reckon. The do gooders should shut up and mind their own business. People make mistakes but repeat offenders should be made examples of, may stop others. Noone seems to be accountable for their actions any more, it's always someone else's fault.

Josh
FollowupID: 615661

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 09:27

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 09:27
Josh, You have to remember that judges and magisrates were all previously defending scummy people for the 30years previously as lawyers and baristers.. Its no wonder we have the problems we do!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 615667

Follow Up By: oz doc - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 09:38

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 09:38
Josh - I'm really glad you didn't catch him and turn vigilante. The way our law system works- you would have received 10 times the penalty for dealing with him yourself, than he would have got for his misdemeanour. I know it is not fair- but it really isn't worth it. Not to mention the possiblity that he could have been a really loose unit and done something nasty to you. I don't confess to know what the answer is here. A person must protect their family first and foremost, but on the other hand -the law really is crazy and the mostly law abiding citizen seems to have less rights than the criminals.Where does it end? Perhaps you could get the girls involved in rigging up a cheap but effective warning system for night time - fishing line strung across the annex poles and attached to a sack of empty tin cans. Simple, effective and their involvement may help restore some confidence. Also arm them with a powerful torch each. A torch shone into an intruders eyes will quickly blind him and give you an advantage. Once again- simple, easy and safe for the kids to have beside their beds, and may give them a little more confidence to go to sleep.Cheers, doc.
FollowupID: 615673

Follow Up By: palmy - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 09:50

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 09:50
I agree with OZDOC, while catching someone and beating him senseless certainly feels like something we'd like to do, I'm not sure it'd have a good affect on your children, and potentially ruin you and your family's life with the potential penalty - especailly if things got out of hand.

I love the torch and cans idea!!
FollowupID: 615676

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 11:46

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 11:46
RE: Judges and magistrates.

It's the old law of supply and demand. If there is a greater demand for their services the more they can get paid. Therefore it's not in their interest to maximise sentences as they'd be putting themselves out of a job. Sad but true.
FollowupID: 615689

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 11:58

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 11:58
Skulldug,

Why the hell did you turn this into a "slagging the coppers off" thread. Give it a rest mate. One cop with a town full of indigenous drunken kids...yeah, right. I'm sure he would have everyone on his side to help them. And of course you would HAVE to believe the caravan park owner.

I am thankful the young girls in the original story are OK now and that no one got hurt...I hope you bought them a big ice cream or something

I live by a rule in life that "every dog has it's day"...it usually comes true, so all will be ok.

We also have to remember that a lot of people in this forum did a few silly things when they were young...which still doesn't excuse anyone for theft. I know I was a little bloody terror, but never hurt anyone.

We still have to be responsible for our own belongings and be vigilante against these people and then there is no issue.

FollowupID: 615690

Follow Up By: Member - Longtooth (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 17:02

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 17:02
Was this problem in Normanville during the school holidays? We had an extra police officer here for that time but the area they are expected to cover is enormous. Also the problems do not seem to happen out of holiday time and coincidentally the graffiti drops to approximately zero then as well. Methinks the local kids are too busy with the farm work and volunteering in the community and emergency services to have time to cause problems. Because it happens in a particular location don't automatically blame the locals.
FollowupID: 615721

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:14

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:14
"responsible for our belongings" Dunco. The bag was inside our tent with us inside in bed. Yes if we left it outside that's asking for trouble but this mongrel came inside our "house". It was the fact the girls were scared by it that got me going.
I used to do a lot of youth work with street kids so I know first hand how useless the courts are. If punishments were harsh early on it might stop them younger. This guy was mid thirties and has done the same thing here before. Having worked with the legal system before I know what I can do defending my family which is inside the law. Mind you when done properly it can make thier life painful. I don't condone vigalante actions but I have always said, touch my family and answer to me as the courts are a joke.
Oz doc we are looking into and setting up an alarm system for at night. I suggested a 12 gauge pointed at the door but my wife said no.LOL. Thought mabye one of those door chimes for shop doors or something similar. More for the girls peace of mind than anything.

Josh
FollowupID: 615736

Follow Up By: skulldug - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 05:50

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 05:50
Longtooth and Dunco,
It wasn't during the school hols. We tend to stay away from caravan parks at that time. Dunco, Normanville is just south of Adelaide and not a black kid in sight.

Skull
FollowupID: 615982

Reply By: austastar - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 13:36

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 13:36
I believe this happens around caravan parks, where 'locals' know they can nick stuff and the owner will move on, with a new 'victim' to take his place.
I was the victim of what I suspect now was a routine well practiced. I had my wallet 'lifted' from my trousers hanging on the back of the shower door. It was replaced minus money, so I was none the wiser till I went to pay before leaving the van park.
Most embarrassing to find no money there when I went to pay; I had to go to the bank to get money as this was back in the days before credit cards. Just glad it was on a week day and we were running low on cash. We didn't lose much and we could move on the same day.
cheers
AnswerID: 347508

Reply By: Flywest - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 16:29

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 16:29
Cray pot
No Rope
No Problem

Cheers
AnswerID: 347525

Reply By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:27

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:27
Thankyou everyone for your thoughts/responses. I posted this mainly to remind people to be careful. We have been on the road for over 2 yrs now and this is the only real incident like this. Yes it makes you wonder about people, but we have met so many amazing people and made so many great friends on our trip so far it far out ways this incident. Our girls are resilient and we will all get over it. The girls are looking forward to heading home to Vic next Tuesday for 2 weeks so that has helped. We have never felt unsafe on our trip before this ever so that is what we are focusing on with the girls.
Thanks again everyone for your support. I am sure we will enjoy the rest of our trip and put this behind us

Josh, Maree, Julia and Jasmine
AnswerID: 347554

Follow Up By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 11:49

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 11:49
Josh...as a quick relief for the young ones...how about those door chime frogs that croak very loudly as you pass them. PIR located in the mouth and they sit on the floor and point in direction of approach.

I think you get them from the National Geographic shop and they are battery operated. Just place near the door at night and you have very distinct intruder alert that looks very innocuous.

Sad that we have to alter our lives because of scumbags like that.

All the best Matt.
FollowupID: 615849

Reply By: Member - peter C (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:28

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:28
couple of years ago at lakes entrance we had esky full of alcohol stolen during the night. caravan proprietor said "it's common this time of year".[january]. next night between us we finished a flagon of sherry.instead of visiting the little boys room we opted to top up the empty flagon. put about 1/4 inch of sherry on top and went to bed leaving what appeared to be a half full flagon on table. next morning it was gone. although we never got to see it we all have visions of some lowlifes big first swig peter
AnswerID: 347555

Follow Up By: Member - Longtooth (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:40

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:40
Had a similar incident years ago but in single mens accommodation in the bush. The port was disappearing at well above normal rates. Crushed up a couple of containers of "Ford" pills and dissolved them then poured the mix into a port bottle. Didn't take long to find the culprit :) Couldn't say 's**t' and he did. Still laugh about it.
FollowupID: 615796

Reply By: richard - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:33

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:33
HI,
A few years ago the same happned to me in Narooma. We were in the caravan park in one of those fixed buildings.

I forgot to lock the door at night and the bugger came in and stole my wifes bag (with my wallet in it) while we were asleep.

He did a few other that night. One couple got their bag and credit cards back - we didn't until about 3 months later when they were found - to late then as had changed every thing.

The caught him as he tried to knock over a room with a couple of shearers in it I am told - I hope they gave him his due.

This guy had only just come down to Narooma after spending time in jail in QLD!!

It wrecked an enjoyable weekend. What made it worse was the owners of the caravan park did not want any thing to do with us and were more worried about us paying our bill.

So I hope they catch the guy who pinched the bag and put him where he belongs.

Perhaps we should have 3 strikes and you are out like in the US.

Richard
AnswerID: 347557

Reply By: Ozboc - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:34

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:34
Scumbags - lets hope this happens to them one day also - Just a little tip - if camping in such places - never leave your car keys or wallets / handbags near the door - put them as far away from your camper entry as possible - Most of those stupid scumbags will only go as far as a reach in from a door then nick off - especially if your asleep as most people will leave these items near the door so they can find them easily in the morning

Boc
AnswerID: 347558

Reply By: mildew - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 19:51

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 19:51
The disturbing thing for me in this thread is the lack of support from several caravan parks. If this is an example of how caravan parks treat their customers then I'm all for camping out. Bugger 'em I say. :D
AnswerID: 347564

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 21:37

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 21:37
exactly - what do you get for your $xX.Xx each night in a caravan park

One of the main reasons i own a 4x4 and an offroad poptop- i am not limited to caravan parks where some of the dregs of society live due to lack of good jobs and $$

i can do without hot running showers when i can do this ......

FollowupID: 615770

Reply By: S&N - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 22:46

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 22:46
[img]
[/img]

security system on our camper trailer. never had a problem for some reason. 52kgs
AnswerID: 347592

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:05

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:05
Nice security system, and I guess if you did ever catch someone it would be easy to dipose of the body. My uncle work for a guy years ago who had a home made system. A bare wire around each window and door that went directly into a power point. My uncle said to him that he will kill someone, the response-"yes but he won't take anything".

Josh
FollowupID: 615789

Follow Up By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 12:01

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 12:01
Very nice...little fella!

Image Could Not Be Found

65kgs and lean...although he doesnt look it when he leans againts the wall!! He can stand on his hind legs and place his fore legs on my shoulder and we see eye to eye...Im 6 foot.

Matt.
FollowupID: 615851

Follow Up By: Rolly - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 12:54

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 12:54
Great security systems, but pricey to maintain. 8D
FollowupID: 615856

Follow Up By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 13:39

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 13:39
Not as bad as you would think... $20 a fortnight for a bag of Supercoat and a few bones (dinosaur) or chicken carcasses and he is happy...

Even had his annual vet check C5 and heartworm injection last week and didnt cry a bit....I did when they gave me the bill though...heartworm is calculated /kg hahah!!

Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 615867

Follow Up By: mildew - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 18:53

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 18:53
Nice doggy!!!
FollowupID: 615920

Reply By: Seakarvan - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 20:14

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 20:14
Hi Josh,
Sorry to here you couldn't catch him. In your interest its better you didn't.
Is the Van park up near the light house? Mate while I'm always careful about parks re tourist sites Vs permanents I've had little trouble with enclosed parks.
If you were at the one near the lighthouse its a walk-in.

Devonport's unemployment figures for particularly the younger ones is off the graph. An economic basket case like all of Tassey.

Youth fed on Yank movie bullshewasa, drugs and a feeling of hopelessness.

However I cannot forgive the trauma that your kids endured

And, I'm afraid there is much worse, nationally to come.

Seakarvan
AnswerID: 347729

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:32

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:32
Hi Seakaravan,
We are in the Able Tasman park near where the boat comes in. There is an access gate at the rear of the park which should be locked at night but isn't. I now lock it for them. I thought there duty of care would be to lock it, especially after what happened. Apparently this guy has done this before at this park. The girls are still abit scared but much better. You think they are going ok then something happens and it sets them off and you realise whay effect it had.

Josh
FollowupID: 615978

Sponsored Links