Nissan GU 3 LT Catch Can.

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 17:38
ThreadID: 65698 Views:11444 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy All.
Iam about to install a CKD oil seperator to be used as oil catch can.
Can anyone who has prior installing knowhow, tell me what size and what kind of hose it reguires
It also requires 2 x 1/2 bsp tapered fittings. Do they come in an elbow configeration, with the other end to put the required hose
on, with the aid of hose clamps.
Thankyou
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:21

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 18:21
G'day Greg,

I can't answer the 1st part of your question.... best to go to www.patrol4x4.com.au for that sort of info. Those blokes are always flappin' their jowls about such matters as catch cans, EGR block-offs, Dawes valves, EGT gauges, boost gauges etc for the 3 litre Patrols.

With regard to the fittings, yes you can get 1/2" tapered fitting in 90° configuration. I just bought one today actually so i can fit my Amsoil bypass filtration system back to the patrol's 6.5 Chev donk. The one I bought cost $15- (that's with a $6- discount), but it has a rotating/adjustable female end to allow me to tighten the fittings up without the whole thing turning around and fouling etc etc.

You can just use a brass 1/2" fitting from a plumber supply place. I have one of those here too, but decided to get the new one for the swivelling reasons...

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 347553

Reply By: Member - Iceman (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 19:29

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 19:29
Hi Greg,

I recently fitted a catch can to my 3.0 Lt GU. The best thing to do is call Tony at Mechlec Automation 03 9318 0014. He has a unit that comes with a mounting bracket. Delivered was $105.71 Inc GST.

With this set up you will need two right angle elbows one with a 1/2 inch barb and the other with a 5/8 barb. The Hoses I use came from Enzed. They are a MPT11 Red Multi purpose 250 PSI hose. The 1/2 inch is the inlet side from the motor and the 5/8 inch goes into the air intake to the turbo.

The photo shows my set up.

Image Could Not Be Found

I hope this is helpful for you
AnswerID: 347563

Follow Up By: GregF - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:19

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:19
Thanks Ice man.
I have already purchased the same Unit and Bracket from Tony at Mechlec Automation, I might add with Prompt and Profesional service. Ice man, you have made up my mind where to mount the Unit. One Query! I oberved on another Website, that the pipe from the outlet side on the CKD to the induction system was 3/8, but you have written 5/8. Sorry not picking, just want to be sure as Iam going to get the fittings on Friday. Could you also advise the costing of the fittings and pipe, so I can argue with my supplier.
Regards
GregF.
FollowupID: 615831

Follow Up By: Member - Iceman (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:37

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:37
Greg,

I checked my set up this morning. I am not sure the thread size is called but it is about 20 mm in dia. You have the unit so it is easy to check. The inlet side elbow has a 1/2 inch and the outlet side is 5/8. I got caught the first time as the existing hose goes from one size to the other.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
FollowupID: 615835

Reply By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 01:22

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 01:22
Greg

I originally looked at a SC catch can but when I saw it had nothing inside it to actually _catch_ the oil I investigated further and came up with the ProVent 200. Costs a couple of hundred $$ and then the fittings and clear pie cost about another $100 from Pirtek. Took me a little while to work it out but this is what I came up with .... (I just need to fasten the can to the bulkhead - tomorrow's, oops today's project) ....

Image Could Not Be Found

If you look close you will also see my boost gauge outlet on the IC hose, EGT sensor on exhaust, and oil pressure sender unit (mounted on 9" extension hose so I could screw into T piece under turbo and then fit sender)

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 347615

Sponsored Links