Help me get to the Corner

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 657 Views:1606 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I are planning a trip to Surveyor General's Corner and would like to hear for anyone
who may have been there recently. I should mention that the plan of attack is from the Stuart Hwy.
My research so far indicates that I have basically two options. 1) The Lasseter Hwy, Tjukururu Rd
and then onto the Giles Mulga Park Road or 2) The direct route west along the Mulga Park Road via
Mulga Park, Amata, Umpukulu and Putaputa (my preferred option).
Nevertheless, any info the viewers can provide (road conditions, obstacles to be overcome etc)
would be appreciated. I am either looking in the wrong places or there is not a lot of info about.
Thanks

T

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jim - Thursday, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Trevor. We did the trip last year with no problems. There are three requirements that need to be in place before you go. Transit permits are required for both WA and NT sides of the border. These are obtainable from the respective aboriginal Land Councils - both residing in Alice Springs. You will need to apply for these some months prior to you trip. We had to follow up on the WA side before it was approved. Then when you are a couple of days out from the corner you will need to ring the local ranger there to schedule your arrival time. The relative contact numbers come with the permit. This last step is most important as you can't (legally) get in without the appointment. Unfortunately I can't remember the web sites for the relative Land Council offices at the moment but I could look them up if you need them. We took the simple way in via Yulara, the Olgas, Docker River, and camped the night before at Warrakurna near Giles.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 1780

Follow Up By: Trevor - Thursday, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:00
Jim,
Many thanks for the info. Tell me more. I would really appreciate the web sites. Can you recall the
cost of the permits??. I understand that you have to give a reason for wanting an entry permit, is
sightseeing a good enough reason??. Furthermore, I recall reading or hearing that there is some
concern about females on aboriginal land, do you know if this is fact or fiction. Also, my map
indicates that fuel, well diesel anyway, is available at Wingellina, can you confirm/deny this.
Sorry about the third degree, but like big Kev " i'm really excited " about the trip and want to ensure
that i've done all my homework.

T

FollowupID: 594

Sponsored Links