Fuel issues

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 17:49
ThreadID: 65725 Views:1937 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Had the Hilux (it’s a manual 03 TD dual cab) in for a 90k service a few weeks back. Since then I have had fuel usage and fuel gauge issues. I have been away on two extended trips since the service and these are the issues I have encountered:

Fuel gauge will only read 3/4 when full. If I rock the vehicle after filling up it will go to full but will drop back to ¾ a hundred meters up the road. On our last trip on the way home it did jump around between ¾ and full.

I am now also getting poor mileage from the vehicle. Around town I can get between 400-450km from the 65L tank. On our last trip I was at one stage getting just over 300kms from a tank. This improve to 430kms out of a tank was we discovered that the hose from the turbo to the motor was half hanging off...I don’t know what they were doing playing the hoses when it was serviced? One the return trip home I got 450km out of the tank before I stopped to refuel (took 60L on refilling)...

Any ideas before I have a chat the service centre? Are the two issues related or two separate issues?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 18:40

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 18:40
**I got 450km out of the tank before I stopped to refuel (took 60L on refilling)...**

Hiya

I have the manual 04 TD dual cab with roofrack.
Sounds about spot on to me,and dont forget the extra gear your lugging about,Have you a roofrack ?????

Did they replace the filter or just blew it out ?????
I'm am sure the speedo is electrical (CPU) but not positive,the rpm on mine is and when i got caught up in the river about 6 weeks ago it worked on and off for about half a day till it dried out....No probs since.

Its a 66l tank..

Cheers
AnswerID: 347711

Follow Up By: TWJ - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 22:55

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 22:55
I did have the roofrack on (around 50kg of weight on it) along with the a tray packed to the top of the high rise canopy. I just didn't think I would lose 150km out of a tank with the roof rack and gear...
FollowupID: 615973

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:02

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:02
You'll be very surprised at the drag,Especially around hilly areas etc etc etc..I had my single swag on my rack with other gear (in my profile pic).Went up the Dargo rd on way to Grant and i thought my turbo may be knackered or something's wrong (hadnt had my roofrack long,first time i put swag on the rack)...I went up the same rd a few weeks later without the swag on and it flew up !

Cheers
FollowupID: 615976

Reply By: happytravelers - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 21:59

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 21:59
The fuel consumption issues could be any number of things even down to tyre pressures and your driving style, there's a lot of variables to consider. As for the fuel gauge concern, I would say it's more likely to be a fuel sender fault in the tank. The variable resister attached to the float arm often wears or becomes contaminated with dirt. I'm not familiar with the Hilux set up but have replaced quite a few on many other makes. Jeep Cherokee's are particulary bad for it. Sometimes they can be fixed with cleaning but normally its a wear problem requiring replacement. Not a fault created by the sevice unless it was removed for some reason.

Jon
AnswerID: 347739

Follow Up By: TWJ - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 22:56

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 22:56
Thanks for the info Jon. I think I need to drop the tank to get to the fuel send unit...can anyone confirm this?
FollowupID: 615974

Sponsored Links