Oz Tents , what do you reckon ??

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 22:53
ThreadID: 65732 Views:10559 Replies:16 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all ,thought i was "over "sleeping in tents and all that stuff and would always stick to my caravan , but in these tougher economic times switching back to a tent may be more a necessity rather than an option, especially for just a weekend trip , so a tent called RV 4 ( i think ) made by Oz Tent came to my attention ,costs $900 plus and extra if you want the sides , in the advertising photos it shows one pitched at the back of a 4WD which i guess is not mandatory but obviously a feature .
I had a look at one in a Perth store , they look well made but nearly $1000 seems rather expensive and its not what i would call a large tent , anyone is welcome to " put their two bobs worth of opinion in please "
They claim that the tent can be put up in 30 seconds , maybe thats why they are rather pricey . And the old saying " you get what you pay for " may be applicable
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:10

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:10
We had one.

Bought it second hand for half the retail price

Yes it only takes 30 seconds to erect it.

But we found it short on space inside. It weighs 19 kg and won't fit inside normal roofracks. After a while the mesh screen was difficult to zip up. Part of the scissors mechanism of the frame broke in a strong wind one day. Basically the RV 4 was a PITA to handle.

Now we have a 2 room tent that takes up to an hour to erect but it is good, weatherproof and cool in hot weather. It can also withstand high winds.

Cheers
AnswerID: 347749

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:55

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:55
You didnt have an rv4 willy?
Yours was the smaller one, and your about foot aernt you??? LOL
No wonder you didnt have any room.

Cheers pesty
FollowupID: 615980

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:58

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:58
Woops, should proof read it shouldnt I,
Was supposed to say "7 foot aernt you"

Pesty
FollowupID: 615981

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:26

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:26
RV3 or RV4 I will stick with what I have said. Maybe OK for little people but it didn't suit our demographics
FollowupID: 615992

Follow Up By: ross - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 13:34

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 13:34
You must be a 6 footer Willem. I was inside an Rv4 yesterday at a camping shop and it wasnt quite enough headroom for me.
From what I could see ,all the models from RV2 upwards have the same headroom.

The best tent I have ever had is a 2 man $29.95 special.
With an old foam mattress and doona its a 10th the price of a good swag and it also has a 30 second erection time if I leave the outside cover off for fine weather
FollowupID: 616047

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 15:39

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 15:39
Yep 190cm

Now have an Oztrail Outlook Dome and I can stand up in that without my head touching
FollowupID: 616073

Reply By: Member - "The Doctor" (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:14

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:14
G'day Brian,

I havn't got an Oz Tent but spent 20 days in the Cape with a mate who had one.

Yes - Easy to erect.... I think about 2 or 3 mins by the time you get it off the roof racks. Yes that's right roof racks. If you don't have any you better get some, there's another $500 plus bucks. The tent is roughly 2m long. Way to big for most 4WD's.

Not much room. Very well made though.

I had the good old Jackeroo 4man tent. Picked up a 4 person, Centre pole tent at the 4wd & Camping Supershow at Rosehill last year for under $200. Fits in the back of the car and theres tonnes of room. It got set up and pulled down everyday for 3 weeks. Never missed a beat nor leaked. The winds at Captain Billy Landing are pretty full on and the tent survived it no worries.

Gets used about every 4 weeks now and still goes strong.

Takes about 10-15mins to set up. Pretty much peg it out and throw the cente pole in. Not a great deal of time difference.

And for the $700 difference, I know what my choice would be.

Good Luck.

AnswerID: 347750

Follow Up By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:39

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:39
I had a tray made (2100x300x50) for about $50.00 which is similar to cable tray used by electricians, but a bit lighter, and mounted it on P4000 Unistrut on the top of my canopy . I slide it up on the tray and strap it down. The whole process takes longer than 30 seconds but it is easy for one person. There is definitely condensation but it doesn't bother me. I roll my clothes up and shove them under my pillow like I do when I swag it. I have an RV2 and they are a great tent. They handle the wind pretty good as well.

Regards,
Bob
FollowupID: 616161

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:35

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:35
Hi Brian
We have the RV 4 and we love it. The 30 second claim is correct, then add another couple of minutes if you need to peg in out if windy.

Sure they are not on the cheap side, but well worth in. We put the double swag in the middle of the tent, and still have about 18" either side of that for cloths bags etc.

Cheers

StephenImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 347752

Follow Up By: Alfantz - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:05

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:05
If you have a double swag, why the need for the Oz Tent?
FollowupID: 616023

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:50

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:50
Alfantz
Our double swag is our bed come everything. In the bush, a ground sheet down and the swag on top. We only use the tent when staying in caravan parks.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 616036

Follow Up By: Alfantz - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:54

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:54
Oh OK. Asked the question because also have double swag but looking at OZ tent for Tassie trip. Not very easy for two people to get changed in the swag.
FollowupID: 616038

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 13:13

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 13:13
Alfantz
We have owned many tent, and for us, the RV 4 is by far the best tent that we have ever owned. To give you extra room, we have the standard side panel, cuts out any breeze and makes it very cosy under the veranda.

If you get the Oztent, you will be very happy with your purchase.

Cheers

StephenImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 616045

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:49

Thursday, Feb 05, 2009 at 23:49
Hi Brian, we had a discovery, same as current rv3, for about 10 years and it spent 100s of nights in use, best tent ever.
Still have it for family gatherings, but replaced it with an rv4, and a camper trailer hahaha.
We still use the tent for camping with the grandkids and will use it on long bush trips some time when we get that far.
Yes we too had a breakage , but wasnt tied out as its supposed to be and a storm hit when we werent there, hardly the tents fault.
We used to attach ours via the awning to the side of the roof rack, 3 hooks welded to the side, gave us a cover without any pegs, and then slid in the double swag and could pull up and be in bed in 5 minutes if need be.
You only get what you pay for so get it and enjoy it, fantastic tent.

Cheers Pesty
AnswerID: 347753

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 00:09

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 00:09
Brian

We have had our RV3 for 5 year and only used it last year on the AB and return, we just love it and have built our plains around using it on this years trip.

Image Could Not Be Found

we have gone out a got a fly which will stay on all the time and front and a side set just in case we stay in a CV park as we did in CP and it got hot in the sun

Cheers

Richard
AnswerID: 347756

Reply By: rocco2010 - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 00:24

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 00:24
Gidday

Black wolf turbo 240 maybe a little a bit cheaper than RV 4 nearly as quick to put up and will fit in the car. There is a range of lighter material turbo tents as well
AnswerID: 347758

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:23

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:23
x2

I looked at both the Oztent and the Black Wolf Turbo tents, didn't want a roof rack on for every trip and loved the 'standing room' in the BW tent, so given the family was expanding, bought the Turbo 300. Fits nicely on the floor behind the driver/passenger seats and can tie it down easily. May have to change around the arrangements when the kids feet need to touch the floor, but it gives me a few years yet..!! (1 x 2yo and 1 due March!!).

Have moved to campertrailer now, but can't bear to part with the tent. Will be useful for the HC trips where the camper won't be appropriate.

Do yourself a favour and at least have a look at them.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 615991

Follow Up By: olddigger - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 15:09

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 15:09
I, too, like the BW tents. They seem very well made, and the shape is quite pleasing.
I know aesthetics may not come into this, but the Oztent must be one of the ugliest things on Earth! Big brown block. Silly price, too.
Cheers, Tony
FollowupID: 616063

Reply By: howie - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 01:46

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 01:46
never had an oztent because of the lack of space inside and it's length when packed up.
among my array of tents i have accumalated over the years, probably my favourite quick erect tent is the oztrail 10plus. this is a centre pole tent with the extended bit. loads of room.
only about $400 as opposed to other centre poles.
recently, on a round oz trip i was tempted to take the swag but because i wanted somewhere to lay my gear out, i tried a 3-man black stump 'instant tent 3 euro' (just for myself). $200 well spent.
got mine from ranger in perth.
AnswerID: 347760

Reply By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 07:47

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 07:47
We have an RV3 and its great. We also have the sides which make an extra room and, if you like you can get a joining piece which permits you to join onto a mates tent to make a massive lounge room...or a big family room.

Expensive yes, but takes less than 30 secs...10 secs more like to erect, not including the extra sides.

On the downside, the tent bag IS long...(and quite heavy) but it fits into the LC200 quite easily..goes in behind the centre console but on the LC100 it has to rest on top of the console. (I have a 200, mate has a 100). It also fits into an X-Trail same as LC100...my daughter has one, they are surprisingly roomy inside.
AnswerID: 347768

Follow Up By: Mike - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 09:48

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 09:48
Hi Don, how does that work with your cargo barrier?................

You don't have a cargo barrier?

We have a turbo 2400, quick storm proof and fits in the Jackaroo.

Happy trails, Mike
FollowupID: 616002

Follow Up By: Alfantz - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:16

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:16
Doesn't that put you over the weight limit of the 200 ;-)

Sorry couldn't help myself.
FollowupID: 616027

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 09:08

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 09:08
Mike,
No, don't have a barrier yet but will do eventually. Mate with LC100 has cut a hole through the barrier and a stand at the front so it sits slightly above the centre console but, as I said, in the 200 I don't need to go to that trouble since it fits behind the console. I will be using twin drawers, side by side and put the tent on top and also cut the hole through the barrier.

As for your smart crack Alfantz....that story is as old as and is, by and large a furfy. The LC200 has the same load carrying capacity as the LC100...give or take a few kgs, depending on variant and...it has about 30kg more capacity in VX form (mine) than the bog standard Patrol..why this has become such an issue is beyond me...jealous knockers...nah, can't be....???? Anyway, if you do as most serious off-roaders do, and the load carrying capacity is only of interest to them, then you get upgraded suspension and if you use Ridepro?? or Ironman, you get a 500kg GVM upgrade for the same money.
FollowupID: 616183

Reply By: SPRINT-GTO - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 10:11

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 10:11
We have a Turbo 270 --great tent.
Looked at OZ tent but decided not enough room.
Very happy with Black Wolf.
AnswerID: 347788

Reply By: HiFiRobbie - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 10:53

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 10:53
I have an RV-5 and really love it. I only got mine recently, but have been using/sharing a mate's for a while now.

I was convinced we had to have one, the night we pulled up at the camp ground about 3 minutes before the rainstorm hit. If we were using the dome tent we would have had to wait in the car until it stopped (45 minutes) and then set it up on drenched ground.

With the OzTent, we were set-up in about 2 minutes, including a basic peg-out and inside and dry. After the rain stopped, all we did was set-up the awning, side and front panels and we were ready for the next hit that came in the middle of the night.
We leave the fly attached all the time as it makes next to no difference when packing it away.

It is a bit of extra stuff to carry with the poles and panels, but it packs reasonably well and the comfort factor that comes with the extras is great. Nothing beats being able to watch a thunder storm through the front flyscreen while you're still being sheilded from the wind and rain!
AnswerID: 347794

Reply By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 11:22

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 11:22
Gday Brian

We had an Oz tent back in 06, my wife and I had always wanted one and we ended up going through 3 under warranty due to leaking and the last one ended up up with a tear in the floor due to one side arm being longer than the other.
We asked for a full refund after the third one which they did and we bought a Southern cross tent and haven't looked back.

Granted all 3 "could" have been from a bad batch but in the cold climates of the desert nights, Flinders Ranges etc they condensate badly on the roof.
When the sun hits the outer side of the canvas in the morning after a cold night, we found we had to unpack the tent quick smart before a monsoonal season started inside.
This apparently can be corrected by also buying the oz tent fly which defeats the purpose of a 30 second tent.
They definitely dont pack up in 30 seconds, are heavy and long.
The after sales service was great from Oz tent but IMO not worth the money.

Hope this helps
Cheers

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 347800

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 15:28

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 15:28
**This apparently can be corrected by also buying the oz tent fly which defeats the purpose of a 30 second tent.**

I totally agree Ingo,I was going to mention that after just watching the Black Wolf erection video...Cant stand using flies but obviously this tent is no different...

cheers
FollowupID: 616069

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 18:08

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 18:08
We have the exact setup as Stephen L - and can vouch for its quality and ease of use if you have the right setup. We used it around Tassie, Vic High Country, the Holland Track, and two trips to Ningaloo. It's endured rain, wind, sleet etc and months exposed to the elements on the roof rack. We would have no hesitation in recommending it if it suits your setup. For us, as swag campers (plus kids in swags) with no trailer it gives us the options we need for longer campers and for getting out of bad weather. In fact we are actually looking at the merits of getting a second Rv4 as all the sides can be zipped together to form a larger commune and we can have the kids "room" and our "room" with a central living area (formed by the side and front panel) - saw this setup in Ningaloo last July. On our long stay camps we put the kids in a separate tent (in their swags) and we have the privacy of our own (the RV4). The tent on its own is indeed the 30 sec tent - however not if you setup the side panels and front panel. Whether it is the best option in comparison to other options, I can't comment as we didn't shop around looking at alternatives - just saw it and knew it was for us. Good luck with your decision. MM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 347869

Reply By: Pebble - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 18:38

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 18:38
We looked at one of those as well as an Oztrail Tourer 9. In the end though brought a couple of 3 man hiking tents (Huon Derwent - one for us one for the kids) and 4wd double mattresses (bit of a contradiction in itself). They can be both set up within 30 minutes including all the pegs.
Anyway due to the bulk of the 4x4 mattresses I'm thinking we may as well have got a couple of swags!!! But they sure are comfortable even if they take up 4x the space of tents!

But back to the point, main thing I didn't like about the others was the hefty weight and the size. Like you financial circumstances amongst other things meant we had to sell the camper trailer. And it was a great decision because the tents still haven't had a decent test, meaning the camper still would have been just sitting there.

If I was to buy any of them I tend to think we would have gone for a pyramid style like Oztrail, Freedom etc, although must say I doubt we'd got for a more expensive brand until the cheaper one proved itself through lots of use.
AnswerID: 348039

Reply By: Bagwon - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 19:51

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 19:51
Hi, Toured for a mnth living in a rv/4 great set up plenty of room for the missis & me.easy peasy to set up and down.If you go this way take a small bannister brush to wipe sand off before you fold up.A mate had his slide bush break,they fixed it no hassels.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 348047

Reply By: Brian - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 02:37

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 02:37
Thanks to everyone for your opinions , you really are a half decent lot !!!
One consideration i never took into account was the length of the tent in its container as i did envisage taking it away in my wifes Peugeot diesel 207 hatch which is considerably less thirsty than my old but reliable HJ 61 Land Crusier , havent measured it yet but dont think it will fit
But one final question as i intend to go to a store in Perth or Bunbury and hopefully view both the Oz Tent RV4 and the Black Wolf tents , can anyone in WA reccomend a store where there is someone who actually knows what they are talking about please ?!
There are so many stores now that are just like Bunnings , well stocked with everything but no one to help
Thank you again
AnswerID: 348093

Reply By: Member - Phil S (WA) - Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 00:23

Monday, Feb 09, 2009 at 00:23
hey brian,just came back to perth after 5 months on the road.lost count how many times i put up my oz tent.worked a treat real quick and handled the weather with eze and it is still lookn good.
AnswerID: 348260

Sponsored Links