Too High in the Vic High Country

Submitted: Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 07:51
ThreadID: 65736 Views:2731 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Just before King Hut and after the Staircase we came across a tree across the track.
The aerial just touched the tree and that means that the Troopie will not fit. Too big and too high off the ground to cut and would have taken a while to do a detour.

Removing the gas bottles, lowering the air bellows, deflating the tyres and a bit of careful driving with plenty of guidance, I was able to limbo under the tree.

All the other vehicle were able to just get under except for the other Troopie which also had to air down and remove stuff from the roof rack.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Now that I have seen the photos, I have just received them from a member of the convey, it was just the sat phone aerial that was the biggest problem (Black dome just behind wind deflector).

If anybody has been down that way lately do they know if the tree has been moved?

Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:13

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:13
Wayne,

Can't answer that question, but....

Had the same problem a few years ago coming down the Caladonia River Road. Ended up having to cut a section out of the tree that just allowed the roofrack to go under.........all part of the adventure I guess.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 347770

Reply By: Member - Vic S (VIC) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:44

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:44
Hello
we were on our way from Talbotville to Wonangatta on last Sunday and were stopped by a huge tree on Wombat Range Tk ,tried for 1 1/2 Hrs cut the main branches and then tried to swing the rest of the tree with the winch and snatch block the tree moved 2 mts then the Rodeo was dragged up the road ,our chain saw is 20 inches the tree was 30in so tree won the day and we went on a long detour,all good fun though next day on Sixteen Mile Jeep tk we had to go back 3kms due to a clump of three trees ....... lesson learnt carry more chain saw fuel + oil
Vic
AnswerID: 347772

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 09:02

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 09:02
Vic,

On the same trip we were going down the Zeka Track and another tree across the track. This time I was able to get under but only just. The tree was on a narrow section of track and about 1/4 of the way down.

We came across two vehicles heading up the Zeka track, one being a Patrol and the other a Britz high roof Troopie. They were in a hurry to get somewhere and even thought I said that the Britz will not make it under the tree they want to up the Zeka track. Where the tree had fallen the track was narrow and there was no place to turn around.

Sometime turning around is the quickest way.

Wayne
FollowupID: 615994

Follow Up By: Member - Vic S (VIC) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 21:52

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 21:52
Hello Wayne
we were camped at the eastern end of the valley and had set up at 4 pm and no one came past at all so maybe they found out for themselves ,we had enough room to go under that tree but it was not a good feeling when my son first saw it.
Vic
FollowupID: 616136

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 09:31

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 09:31
Great shots Wayne, haven't been there since december myself.

Notice yours looks green still so its pretty heavy.

Cut out a similar but dry one recently and it continually amazes me
how complex some of these blockages can be and how careful you have to be with the chainsaw.

My type of car is a little lower than most and its partly the reason I like to keep things trim and do all I can to keep all accessories inside the bodyline.

We have had the case where the only solution was to dig down and the small Matock I carry was very useful , espically as it was someones elses car and they had to do the digging.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 347782

Reply By: Seakarvan - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 10:16

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 10:16
There is always a way Wayne.

"Raise the Bridge" "Lower the River" "Winch" "Go Back" or get a fire going and break out the Port (No fire and a beer in summer of course ha ha)

I always seem to strike Big Victorian trees across the track in late afternoon with snow starting to happen.

Even with our PTO'd Troopies, my old mate carries the worlds biggest chainsaw that has proven handy for times like yours.
I must admit I'm glad he carries the thing.

We clear tracks when we can but like you, circumstances dictates the action.

Great Pics mate. We'll be in that area in March, hopefully, its a beautiful area.

I reckon Old Mate should invoice State Forests.

Cheers

Seakarvan
AnswerID: 347790

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 10:26

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 10:26
Dont we love it. You guys will be talking about that for ever. We followed a creek bed that use to be a track years ago it took 5 hours. Everybody gets out walks around soaking up the views fresh air and all that.
FollowupID: 616005

Reply By: austastar - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 11:57

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 11:57
Murphy had a similar problem when the local council were building a freeway by pass near his farm.
"How can I get me donkey cart over that lot?" he complained to the shire foreman. "I needs to get the villige shop for me supplies"
"no worries" says the foreman "we will put in an under pass for you"
Some weeks later Murphy tries the underpass, but it is a bit low, and the donkey's ears touch the roof. Spooked the donkey wont go through, so Murphy goes back to the farm to get some tools.
He is laying into the concrete lintel with a cold chisel and hammer, cutting two grooves for the donkey's ears, when the foreman comes by.
"Hey Murphy, ya dumb Irishman, what are you doing" he calls.
Murphy explains about the donkey's ears touching the bridge that is too low.
"Murphy, you're as thick as a brick, here use me shovel to dig out some dirt."
"Ah Michael," says Murphy, "tis you are the dumb Irishman that you are, 'tis 'is ears that's too long, not his feet."
AnswerID: 347812

Follow Up By: Seakarvan - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 16:48

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 16:48
Brilliant !!!! and right to de heart of the problem lad.

Tis lateral thinkin sees we.

Cheers

FollowupID: 616086

Reply By: ML - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 17:06

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 17:06
Wayne

That tree has been there for a while, we went through there on 27 December. One of our convey was a Patrol with a 6" lift and a roof top tent on top. We had to let the tyres down completely and people jump on the sides to get it under.

You introduced us to the area on a tag along 18 months ago when we did a tag along and we loved it. Have been back twice since by ourselves and hope to go back many times again.

Mark
AnswerID: 347858

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 18:11

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 18:11
Ggggeeeeeeee I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddd to go bush!!!!

Duncs
AnswerID: 347870

Reply By: Member - 120scruiser (NSW) - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 21:10

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 21:10
Hi Wayne
Great shots.
I was only going to take the 009 but I might take the 036 at Easter time down there.
Just in case
Scott
AnswerID: 347889

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 08:43

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 08:43
Scott,

I will let you know where I will be going over Easter, and if you can be a day in front and clear the track that would be great. :-))

Wayne
FollowupID: 616177

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:12

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 23:12
Wayne why didn't you cut it down with your chainsaw? 30 minutes work would have cleared it for ever & a day and been a darn sight quicker than letting the tyres down.
Our local club were up around Mt Murray for the long weekend & had almost 30 trees to clear over the 3 days. Strong winds along with burnt trees from the past 2 big fires means there has been alot of timber falling of late.
Cheers Craig............

PS: You may remember our convoy bumped into your tour group on the Cobbera's track just before New Year. We were in the Red Jeep. You did a mighty job getting that convoy of standard vehicles up those hills :-)
AnswerID: 347919

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 08:58

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 08:58
Craig,

I think the sight of a Red Jeep was inspiration enough for the convey of standard vehicles to drive those hills. :-))

All kidding aside the reason why some people join us on a tag a long is so that they will have the confidence to drive a track that they would not normally do, much the same as a 4WD club trip.

I will be back down on that track in two weeks so I hope that the tree has been cut away by then.

Wayne

FollowupID: 616180

Sponsored Links